• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the Greatest RPG of all Time?

Best RPG?

• Final Fantasy VII

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Chrono Trigger

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Secret of Mana

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kingdom Hearts II

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I find it odd that you didn't involve pokemon as a choice on a Pokemon forum.

Either way, Final Fantasy 6 and 9 are both far better than FF7. Like others have said, that's a really poor list you put up.

matt561

Your French Charizard
    Years
    As much as i hated the first installment

I loved Kingdom hearts II great game so complete

Though i fail to see why Oddworld:Abes Exodus isent in that list that game was and still is awsome

Zet

Years
    What about Final Fantasy VIII? That game was about 4/5 cutscenes, 1/10 loading times, and 1/10 game.
    I dunno FFX kinda topped that being half movie and half game, seriously, how awesome was that?

well with the poor list, I had trouble choosing between the Secret of Mana and KH2 but in the end, I picked KH2 for how short long it is, gameplay, and battle style and mainly because I love the KH games

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    I voted for Final fanasy 7. Its the first ps one game I have ever played.. I liked the storyline alot to.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Where in the world is Fable?

Anywho, I voted for KH2. The depth put into it is far better than the other few.. terrible choices up there.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    How can Chrono Trigger even be considered "terrible"? Out of the ones listed in this poll, it's my favorite one for not only the nostalgia factor, but also the music, the characters, the storyline, and how open-ended it is. The battle system is also great, because it's not one of those "line up in a perfect row" thing.

Final Fantasy IV was also great. Same with FFVI.

And yeah, FFVII is extremely over-rated. It wasn't anything special, but everyone thinks it's the best FF out there. There's not a lot of focus on FFVIII being the "best RPG of all time". It's all FFVII that I hear.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    And yeah, FFVII is extremely over-rated. It wasn't anything special, but everyone thinks it's the best FF out there. There's not a lot of focus on FFVIII being the "best RPG of all time". It's all FFVII that I hear.
    I really tried to enjoy FFVIII because the visuals were so amazing, but I just didn't think it was any fun. I don't think there's any doubt that VII had much better mechanics than VIII. VIII had terribly unbalanced gameplay, and not only because the GFs were so overpowered. Drawing magic is one of the few things that is more boring than leveling up. While I was playing it, I was constantly thinking, "If this had as good gameplay as the others, it would be the best."

So, while FFVIII excelled in cinematic presentation and atmosphere, I thought it was cripplingly inadequate in the most important part of any game: the game part. If it was a movie, I'd probably love it. But, it's a game, and terrible gameplay can't be excused in my book. I place FFVII far above it simply because I had a lot more fun with it.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    Chorono trigger is WAY better than the MOST OVERRATED GAME EVER final fantasy 7. Also, even though it's not on the list, final fantasy 6 is also superior to ff7. better story, characters, and villain.
    Yah, Chrono Trigger is amazing, But I still think Final Fantasy VII(it self alone) without all the others, just the PS1 game.

Well wheres The World Ends With You, that game is amazing too. even tho its still pretty new.

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
    It seems to be tradition that an RPG becomes great through the test of time. With some exceptions XD

The kingdom hearts series is one of those...the second one completely PWNED the first in it's gameplay, but i just think the first one's story was more..Heartfelt. Not that the second wasn't, but the first was just more so.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2009
    FF gets my vote. I played Kingdom of hearts but I always thought it was a bit weird cause your weapon can be a Key!!How boring is that!!

Years
    From the Poll Options...

Chrono Trigger - Good graphics, amazing music, and great story. One of the best SNES games.

Not on the poll...

Final Fantasy 6 (3 on SNES) - Same pluses as Chrono Trigger but I think FF6 does them all better. I would say it's the best Final Fantasy game too.

Years
    Very poor poll.
    Only FF7 and KH2 are the only decent ones on the list.
    The best RPG, in my opinion, is the Mother Series (Earthbound).

Back