• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your AOTY?

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
  • So far, what is your Album of the Year [the best album you've heard so far that was released in 2013].

Mine would have to be Kiss Land, by The Weeknd
    What is your AOTY?

However I think Pusha T's My Name is My Name may dethrone it once it drops on the 8th. ****'s fire...

Mysonne

Pokeballin, no testes
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2014
    nice pleb album

my aotysf is a tie between young fathers - tape two and billy woods - dour candy

TAPE TWO

EXPERIMENTAL HIP HOP, ABSTRACT HIP HOP, AFRICAN HIP HOP LO-FI NOISE FUSION, POST-HIP HOP, AVANT-NEO-SOUL

What is your AOTY?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo7-2KlBQoE

DOUR CANDY

HARDCORE HIP HOP, ABSTRACT HIP HOP, GRIMY STORYTELLING, BLOCKHEAD INSTRUMENTAL MAGIC, D.C. ANONYMITY, CONCEPT ALBUM

What is your AOTY?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5kGGU9eUHg

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • What is your AOTY?

My winner so far, and likely to not change. I'm horribly biased. I have no shame. They're my favorite band and this album is amazing. I've been waiting for this ever since they were tweeting about album 6 and it didn't disappoint me. I wouldn't say it's as great as the previous album, but then again, that's my favorite album of all time, so that's too much to live up to lol. It does feel like a return to some older sounds though, similar to Because of the Times, and that's always great. The album is really pulling its own weight though, and that's awesome.

Honorable mentions:
    Yours Truly - Ariana Grande
    Halcyon Days - Ellie Goulding
    ARTPOP - Lady Gaga (which isn't out yet, but we've heard a lot so I'mma count it in here)

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
  • I'm going with The Next Day - David Bowie

I was really excited when I heard about this. I mean, it's been a decade since Bowie's last studio album, and I was real worried he'd leave the music industry. When it came out, I gave it a listen. And I loved it. It had the great mix of old Bowie and new Bowie to keep me interested. My definite favorite of the year.

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
    Years
  • What is your AOTY?

The Drones' I See Seaweed, personally. It's pretty incredible.

Other AOTY contenders that I really, really loved as well:-

• The Knife's Shaking the Habitual
    • Bill Callahan's Dream River
    • Oneohtrix Point Never's R Plus Seven
    • Rudresh Mahanthappa's Gamak
    • My Bloody Valentine's m b v
    • knxwledge.'s relevnt​.​b​/​sde_LP.
    • Foxygen's We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic
    • Aivi & Surasshu's The Black Box
    • Milo's Things That Happen At Day

Danny Brown's Old will probably shoot up to my first or second place when I get the chance to listen to it. This year was actually pretty great for music.

Years
  • My album of the year is by a band called "Skillet"

I've taken a lot of inspiration from the album as although they are a Christian band, a lot of their songs can have personal meaning to whoever listens to them.

(I can't post a picture of the album as I need 15 posts or more :P )

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
    Years
  • What is your AOTY?

The Drones' I See Seaweed, personally. It's pretty incredible.

Other AOTY contenders that I really, really loved as well:-

• The Knife's Shaking the Habitual
    • Bill Callahan's Dream River
    • Oneohtrix Point Never's R Plus Seven
    • Rudresh Mahanthappa's Gamak
    • My Bloody Valentine's m b v
    • knxwledge.'s relevnt​.​b​/​sde_LP.
    • Foxygen's We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic
    • Aivi & Surasshu's The Black Box
    • Milo's Things That Happen At Day

Danny Brown's Old will probably shoot up to my first or second place when I get the chance to listen to it. This year was actually pretty great for music.

yea old is pretty good ; i just dled it today, still gotta listen a few more times though, still gotta listen to R+7 as well lol

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    What is your AOTY?

Bankrupt by Phoenix. There were two albums I was highly anticipating this year, and they were Bankrupt and Paramore. Paramore was good, but I think Bankrupt edged it out slightly. ARTPOP is going to be pretty good too though I assume.

Years
  • I believe there was a thread on the best albums from January to June earlier in the year and I posted that A$AP Rocky's Long.Live.A$AP had been my favourite up to that point.

I see no reason to change that, some of my favourite artists (Kanye West, Paramore, Jay-Z & Mac Miller) have put out albums that were good, but not to the standard I was expecting. Drake's was great, but I still think it just gets outdone by Rocky's effort.

There's still time for it to change though. Eminem, Lady Gaga, Panic! At The Disco are a few artists with albums coming out. I also have some albums in my iTunes that have been neglected by me up to this point so there could be a surprise artist in the end (possibly Swim Deep).

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
    Years
  • bankrupt is a good album, better than wolfgang amadeus phoenix imo

and id say i was right; mnimn dethroned kiss land for me, you guys should check it out maybe .-.
    What is your AOTY?

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    What is your AOTY?

Bliss'n'eso basically where hip hop is actually good... AUSTRALIA (sorry you too canada)

They are hip-hop basically another version of the hilltop hoods whose album Drinking from the Sun was my AOTY last year.

Nakala Pri

This was a really good Album, every song was so cool I just put it on replay over and over again. :P

8/10. Gotta love Punk pop.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • What is your AOTY?

I've never been a big Vampire Weekend fan, but this album came highly recommended and with good reason! Literate, catchy, fun guitar-pop songs, which is normally a genre of music that I can't stand. It'll be hard to beat (although there are a few ones coming up, like Arcade Fire's Reflektor, that could give it a run for its money).

What is your AOTY?

I also want to give a shout out to this, as it's easily the most re-listenable album of the year. Maybe in time I'll come to like it more than Modern Vampires of the City, but this is easily Ms. Monae's best work. When she starts ditching the whole 'android'-thing she had going for her previous album/EPs, she's genuinely sensational!

Back