• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your definition of music?

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    A topic in the Daily Chit Chat got me thinking: I'm really tired of people trying to tell me pop music isn't real music for a variety of music: they don't play their own instruments, they don't write their own lyrics, they mime when performing live, etc. And that really makes me angry. Who are they to try to tell me what real music is? Every single thinking person in this world has in their mind what they feel is real music. Some of us may like Scandinavian Metal, others may like Classical Jazz, and others may like Transcendental Trance. Some may feel the own "real" music can be found in operas and plays while others may feel rap is the only true music out there. I would think in this day and age that we can move past the: emo vs metal, Christina vs Lady Gaga, New Rap vs Old Rap fights which are stupid, pointless, and a waste of time (then again, people are still discriminated against for their race, disabilities, and sexuality, so it's no surprise we still feel the need to talk down to people because of their music tastes).

So in short, there are over 6 Billion different definitions of music in the world: how do you define music?

For me, music must change my mood in some way when I listen to it. Whether it makes me want to dance (dance, pop, etc), calms me down after a rough day (usually R&B for this), or it gets me pumped up or inspired for writing (usually Evanescence). I've never been a huge metal person - more often than not it focuses on the negative aspects of life, and I use music to escape those sort of feelings. I do like the assorted metal, rock, etc song every once in a while, but it's just not my thing. I grew up with it though with my Dad, so I do respect it. I also have a small thing for country music. My best friend Donna and my Mother are big country music people, so I have been exposed to it and have grown to like a handful of songs. But in the end it comes down to Pop, Dance, Electronica, Trance, and R&B music that truly defines my iTunes library.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I just listened to the three most played tracks in my music library:
    Phonography - Britney Spears
    You're Gonna Go Far, Kid - The Offspring
    I Think We're Alone Now - The Birthday Massacre

Each one of these songs are of a different musical genre; "Phonography" being pop, "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid" being alternative, and "I Think We're Alone Now" being rock. This is what basically defines my music library and my basic taste of music. The majority of the songs I listen to make me tap my foot and sing along with them (even if I don't know the lyrics to them, I know the general beat of the lyrics and hum it). I'm more of a "if it sounds good to my ears, it's good enough for me" type of person. Being a musician myself, I know how hard someone has to work to become good at what they do. And regardless of what someone says regarding those types of artists, I'm not going to really listen to them. I have my opinion and they have their opinion. I do notice something unique about those three songs (representing their genre to me) when I was listening to them, compared to a song from another genre. When I was listening to each one of those songs, I could actually feel my heart beating while just sitting doing absolutely nothing but typing. I could feel the adrenaline running through my bloodstream. These songs get me excited and lift my mood further than it is when I'm doing something else. I'm most happy when I'm listening to these genres. I can't really define what music is to me other than this: "If there's heavy screaming involved, it's not music, it's noise. Horrible, horrible noisce." With that said, everything without that aspect in it, I'm alright with listening to.

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    I don't think music can be given definition, because as an art form and in an audible sense I think it's so profound and so deeply-reaching that it wholly transcends the written word in its ineffable power to convey underlying sentiments and much more in a linguistically-slaking way. I'd even go as far as to say that I feel it affects the subconsciousness more than it does the consciousness. And I'm in wholehearted agreeance for a large part. What music is ranges in opinion. I love Evanescence myself and I'm not mortified in the least to say such of my own volition and openly.

I love music and I don't know what I'd go about doing with it amiss.

elli

norse god thor
    Years
    For me, music is defined by its rhythm. That's how it supposedly started off, anyway... Just drums. As long as it has some sort of beat, it must be music. If you don't want to get too technical about it, I'm like Nick - If it sounds good to my ears, it's good enough for me.

I don't get why some people don't consider Pop a form of music, either. It has a beat, & it's not as though it's just just random guttural sounds... So those people don't really have much of a point, it looks like. :B

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Music is music. There is no true definnition to me but I accept and enjoy all kinds of music actually. From rap to some country to Metal and R&B.

LunarWing

Shiny Hunter/Trainer
    Years
    I respect all kinds of music, but I think there IS a definition of music.
    Music can be anything of course, I dont discriminate any genre.. but it has to be made with soul and dedication: bands that make music purely for making money don't really make music.. thats my opinion:)

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    My defeniton of music is anything but rap and hip hop.

Why? If tou deny something please give a reason. Otherwise you sound kind of prejudice.

Years
    To avoid writing walls of text, I'll just drop to say we should note that the pop genre does not embrace its music by it's technical, physical, or lyrical characteristics-- pop music is short for popular music.

Whether I listen to The Beatles or Bonnie Pink, or even Britney Spears... It's still pop music. So you can't catalog the whole genre as not qualifying as music... You may do so with certain artists out there, but heck.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    To avoid writing walls of text, I'll just drop to say we should note that the pop genre does not embrace its music by it's technical, physical, or lyrical characteristics-- pop music is short for popular music.

Whether I listen to The Beatles or Bonnie Pink, or even Britney Spears... It's still pop music. So you can't catalog the whole genre as not qualifying as music... You may do so with certain artists out there, but heck.

Thanks, I completely agree. Hip Hop is music but artists like Lil Mama and such do not qualify for me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    An often regular arrangement of sounds which a group or individual finds pleasing.

My definition takes the route of being literal and objective — as do I, in life.

Note to whoever repped me: No this didn't come from a dictionary.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    To me, music is defined as something with a tune/melody and (in the case of everything except classical/acapella/instrumental) more than one instrument - whether computer generated or real. It doesn't have to have vocals. Some of my favorite music is strictly instrumental.

I suppose rap can be considered music because it meets these qualifications, although I personally dislike it, because if I wanted to, I could download sony acid, loop a bunch of beats, make a small computer generated tun, loop it over and over, and make a whole bunch of bad rhyming and call it rap. (Sorry, but that's what it is about 90% of of the time).

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    To me, music is defined as something with a tune/melody and (in the case of everything except classical/acapella/instrumental) more than one instrument - whether computer generated or real. It doesn't have to have vocals. Some of my favorite music is strictly instrumental.

I suppose rap can be considered music because it meets these qualifications, although I personally dislike it, because if I wanted to, I could download sony acid, loop a bunch of beats, make a small computer generated tun, loop it over and over, and make a whole bunch of bad rhyming and call it rap. (Sorry, but that's what it is about 90% of of the time).

No. If you mean what u see on MTV then yep thats what it is most of the time but it get more artistic if you are really looking for good rap music like Del The Funky Homosapien or Blackalicious. This same argument can go for food but in my opinion if it has rythym it is music(but that would count out a lot of genres and rap is not one of them) it is music and if you can eat it it is food.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I think that music has its different definitions:
    Notes played on an instrument;
    Songs sung [classical, traditional, etc.];
    Pop, rock, metal, etc.
    Orchestras, symphonys, etc.

So really, I think music is more than just one thing.

Years
    No. If you mean what u see on MTV then yep thats what it is most of the time but it get more artistic if you are really looking for good rap music like Del The Funky Homosapien or Blackalicious. This same argument can go for food but in my opinion if it has rythym it is music(but that would count out a lot of genres and rap is not one of them) it is music and if you can eat it it is food.

My little cousin ate half a slipper once. Does that make slippers food? If so, why can't I find them at the menu on local restaurants? Are they an Australian dish or somethin'?

The fact that something has rhythm does not make it music, considering other forms of art like poetry have rhythm, but not necessarily are music always.

By that definition, I suppose Kermit the Frog can come hit a table with his little froggy head repeatedly at an even tempo for two and a half minutes and release it as a single.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    !

My little cousin ate half a slipper once. Does that make slippers food? If so, why can't I find them at the menu on local restaurants? Are they an Australian dish or somethin'?

The fact that something has rhythm does not make it music, considering other forms of art like poetry have rhythm, but not necessarily are music always.

By that definition, I suppose Kermit the Frog can come hit a table with his little froggy head repeatedly at an even tempo for two and a half minutes and release it as a single.

If I wanted to be difficult I would just say yep! lol. Anyway, Hip hop actually is considered poetry which easily converts to music, and if something does have rythm music can go along with it. And I love slippers too, u jut have to find a specialty place like this one in chinatown, just ask for no sauce.

And U are right, in Metal or what ever They just scream and stuff over instrumentals that makes them hard to understand. U dont even have to say real words these days on music huh?

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    Generally, what defines music for me is anything that evokes emotion or demands reaction. For example, I'll listen to pop or hip-hop because it demands a reaction; that you get your ass on a dance floor. I'll listen to rock because it demands a reaction; a headbang.

I generally dislike listening to...bland music. Music that has no energy in it. I do tend to appreciate the more lyrical artists, but often times, especially in the case of such genres as the heavier types of rock and metal, the lyrics are eschewed by an umatching energy that doesn't vibe with me.

There are few acts who I will dislike (most of the ones I criticize are the ones who rely on image over talent to become stars, such as the Jonas Brothers. And I could go on and on about this, but I want to respect the nature of the thread.), but I won't discredit them like a lot of my peers do so ignorantly. ("All rap is crap." <- Hey, I used "crap". ._.)

Years
    As long as you can understand the song, and it has a meaning, then I'll listen to it. Rap being one that doesnt make sense- its just random words that are thrown together just to ryhme, with no purpose at all.

Back