• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your opinion on the AI of in-game opponents?

Years
  • What do you think of the AI of your opponents? Do you find every battle far too easy, or do you find some trainers to be a bit too hard? Personally, I'd like the AI to be harder, and switch when they're at a disadvantage. I'd also like the AI to vary with trainer class, such as a Black Belt going "all-in", and a scientist stalling with status conditions.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I would like it to be higher. Especially when they use a Ground type attack on your Pidgey. I would also like their Pokemon have better movepools then just the last four moves the Pokemon could learn at that level. I would also like to see more trainers with items. And perhaps a few with Revives. The AI of the trainers at the Battle Frontier is at a good level though.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
  • They are pretty easy, imo. You don't even have to be overleveled in the game to find it easy. However, the Battle Tower/Frontier is harder. It's at a decent level of difficulty, with a good balance. It actually requires strategy there, so your single starter Pokemon isn't enough to defeat a trainer.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I think the AI is pretty good in BW, but in past generations, eh...not so much, excluding Battle Frontiers.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The AI depends on the trainer class. If it's something like Youngster, then it's easy (around the level of wild Pokemon). But if you're against people like Ace Trainers, Gym Leaders, Elite 4 and Frontier Brains, then they're smart and use tactics and wide type coverage.

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
  • It seems to me that sometimes the AI varies with the type of trainer in regular battles. Trainers like Youngsters tend to make stupid mistakes while Ace Trainers battle a lot more strategically. I'm not sure though, it may just be me. The Gym Leader AI is fine by me but the E4 should definitely be bumped up a lot more to make them harder than just a gym leader.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2011
    I would like to have the AI to able to learn, to ajust their movesets and itesm to your Pokemon. I would also like the Elite four to have movesets from real players with evs, that would really be a challenge!

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    I'd have to agree with the above replies. The AI in the standard storyline is just plain easy. I wish there was an option to change the difficulty of the game (I.E. Easy, Standard, Hard, Very Hard).

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I would like it to be higher. Especially when they use a Ground type attack on your Pidgey. I would also like their Pokemon have better movepools then just the last four moves the Pokemon could learn at that level. I would also like to see more trainers with items. And perhaps a few with Revives. The AI of the trainers at the Battle Frontier is at a good level though.

No...NO Revive capabilities. Ugh...I feel like it would be the same thing as when all those low-level Pokemon in the Battle Frontier use Protect or Detect - extremely annoying, especially when you're extremely likely to KO them on the following turn. In those cases, Protect is simply a time waster. Focus Sash and Generation 5's Sturdy ability function similarly.

If tougher Trainers were optional, then that would be a neat addition in the game for higher challenges. I personally think all in-game battle-able Trainers should be able to be rematched at high levels after the Elite 4. Strictly training at the Gym Leaders and Elite 4 can get really boring and monotonous (moreso with the E4); giving the player a chance to travel around while still encountering high-level opponents for training would be a very welcome addition for the games.

The Battle Frontier artificial intelligence (AI) of Emerald can be insane at times though (apparently, they are technically cheating because they know all your Pokemon's moves from the get-go). And this only applies to your opponents. The partner computer player's AI is some of the shoddiest I've seen. The worst example in memory to date I've encountered is when my computer partner's Tyranitar used Earthquake, which hit my Registeel for Super-Effective damage and did 0x damage to the foes due to immunities to Ground moves. -_- Battle Frontier AI in the regular overworld would be quite interesting to see in action...

I only hope I can combat the AI in the Battle Frontier/Subway facilities of Generations 4 and 5... *gulps* I've only been able to achieve a 50-win streak in Emerald twice in all my years playing...

Back