• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your religion?

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
  • What religion (if you have any) are you?

I'm a Muslim, i.e. follower of the religion of Islaam. No I am not a terrorist in case you are wondering. Nor do I work at a gas station and I've never driven a taxi nor a camel. And I don't know how to wear a turban. ^_^

Haha, this cracked me up! I hate it when people stereotype others based on their religion. And thank you for a such a lengthy post! I found it very interesting :3 Religion and peoples' views of it fascinate me.

I'd also like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread. I find your feedback very interesting and I appreciate it, no matter what your religion (or not) is~

Last edited:

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Personally I am one with secular humanist views. Which would mean that I am not concerned with being tied to a religion and I am purely interested in the existence of humanity. I'm not putting aside the idea of ever becoming someone religious, I do know quite a lot of religious people and I suppose you could say I come from a somewhat religious background. The topic of religion has always been of great interest to me, and I've been studying the area for a few years now, both in school and outside. What entices me most about religion is how it links to morality and philosophy.

My views in particular however, still hold the possibility that I one day may become a religious man, but now I do not hold any beliefs, and I do not see any as being right, but I do have more strong feelings about religion general as being a way to control the masses in many cases. Though that may be insulting, you can look across history and see where my point derives from. Most religions originating from the Middle East in which have always had a way of making its people follow the leaders throughout history, and we see this through religion as they had a large grasp on what happened at the time. Perhaps my views will be overcome, but I feel right now that my views are too solidified upon secularity that I do not withstand hope that I will become too spiritual. I support what religions do for some communities, but I would be against how religion portrays itself in extremity, we rarely see extremity in a positive sense, but in ways of war, death, deception, death penalties (Sharia Law) and so on. My interest in religion is inextricably linked to my views, but I do not hold a spiritual one as of yet. I will always be supportive of humanity and making the most of life, rather than devoting it to a deity.

Have you heard of Satanism? Contrary to popular belief, a certain form of it isn't actually about worshipping dieties or the devil, but rather, believing in the power of humanity. It's actually the fact that they believe in the symbols that the dieties represent.. but rather, in themselves. And also sometimes include the usage of meditation and self expansion.

"ts teachings are based on individualism, self-indulgence, and "eye for an eye" morality. Unlike Theistic Satanists, LaVeyan Satanists are Atheists, Agnostics and Apatheists who regard Satan as a symbol of man's inherent nature."
    Like for example, it's in man's nature to exhibit kindness to their friends, and attack their enemies.. as it is with any other living animal.

I'm not trying to change your religion or what you practice, I just thought it was interesting how some of your views, and the views of humanism, draw parallels to these beliefs as well.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2011
    Zensunni

If you've ever read the Dune book series, it had a way of working its ideas into your religious views. It's a weird syncretic mix-up of Zen Buddhism and Sunni Islam. Overall, I imagine God might be an advanced alien race running a simulation of our world :P

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • Yeah, Satanism is very interesting in my opinion, although I don't believe Satan exists. And since he has been brought up, let me just say that Witches/Wiccans and people who practice the Occult do not worship Satan or demons. This is a huge misconception.

I actually found a religion that thinks he is the source of light (Lucifer translates to "Bringer of Light") and inspiration. They think it was a blessing that he told Eve to eat the apple because in doing so he gave humans knowledge. Actually, there are a lot of things that this particular group thanks Lucifer for. Some groups do good deeds in Lucifer's name hoping that God will forgive him and let him back into Heaven.

...yeah, I'm really into religion if it isn't obvious by now ^^;

Daeva Okami-Luca

∞Protector∞
    Years
  • I am a pagan, with some aspects of Hinduism (Karma, Vipaka, and reincarnation).

I don't believe Satan exists. And since he has been brought up, let me just say that Witches/Wiccans and people who practice the Occult do not worship Satan or demons. This is a huge misconception.

THIS...

Wiccans do not believe in Satan; Therefore, they do not worship Satan.

Some Pagans are LeVeyan satanists. (I am not one of them).

Many people confuse this with worshiping Satan; However, this is not the case. This is LeVeyan Satanism.

"Satanists do not believe in the supernatural, in neither God nor the Devil. To the Satanist, he is his own God. Satan is a symbol of Man living as his prideful, carnal nature dictates. The reality behind Satan is simply the dark evolutionary force of entropy that permeates all of nature and provides the drive for survival and propagation inherent in all living things. Satan is not a conscious entity to be worshipped, rather a reservoir of power inside each human to be tapped at will. Thus any concept of sacrifice is rejected as a Christian aberration—in Satanism there's no deity to which one can sacrifice."

Theistic Satanism is worship of the Christian God's adversary.

Last edited:

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    If you've ever read the Dune book series, it had a way of working its ideas into your religious views. It's a weird syncretic mix-up of Zen Buddhism and Sunni Islam. Overall, I imagine God might be an advanced alien race running a simulation of our world :P

If I'm deriving my beliefs from a fictional novel, I would rather practice Haruhiism.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I am a pagan, with some aspects of Hinduism (Karma, Vipaka, and reincarnation).

THIS...

Wiccans do not believe in Satan; Therefore, they do not worship Satan.

Some Pagans are LeVeyan satanists. (I am not one of them).

Many people confuse this with worshiping Satan; However, this is not the case. This is LeVeyan Satanism.

"Satanists do not believe in the supernatural, in neither God nor the Devil. To the Satanist, he is his own God. Satan is a symbol of Man living as his prideful, carnal nature dictates. The reality behind Satan is simply the dark evolutionary force of entropy that permeates all of nature and provides the drive for survival and propagation inherent in all living things. Satan is not a conscious entity to be worshipped, rather a reservoir of power inside each human to be tapped at will. Thus any concept of sacrifice is rejected as a Christian aberration—in Satanism there's no deity to which one can sacrifice."

Theistic Satanism is worship of the Christian God's adversary.

Thanks for the explanation! I could not have explained it any better myself.

And yes, Wiccans do not believe in the devil. They believe that when someone does something wrong it's their own fault and nobody else's. I hold the same beliefs as Wiccans, although I prefer to call myself Pagan because it's a much more open term and I do not practice Magick.

Daeva Okami-Luca

∞Protector∞
    Years

• Thanks for the explanation! I could not have explained it any better myself.

And yes, Wiccans do not believe in the devil. They believe that when someone does something wrong it's their own fault and nobody else's. I hold the same beliefs as Wiccans, although I prefer to call myself Pagan because it's a much more open term and I do not practice Magick.

I practice magic in terms of tea, herbs, incense and stones; I don't cast spells. I do observe the Goddess and God as Diana and Cernunnos, however. I suppose I'm a mish-mash of many religions.

I've just recently picked up a tarot deck and have an uncanny knack for it. :P

ETA: I forgot to say that Tarot is divination, and not magic. D:

Last edited:

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    "I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years

• I've just recently picked up a tarot deck and have an uncanny knack for it. :P

I was given a tarot deck and I actually don't believe it's magic. Rather, I believe it's a tool to help you relate to yourself and better yourself. For example, if you picked out a card that signifies that you are currently having trouble with "The Lovers" but your relationship with your significant other is going smoothly, it sorta gets you to dig deeper into yourself and think about other relationships that you have in your life.. even if it's your relationship with yourself or a relationship with your study habits.
    I believe tarot cards just give better awareness of one's physical and mental state of being at the present moment, and things that they feel they would like to work on or change for betterment for the future.

Sometimes people do tarot readings because they're in a tough situation, and I believe, that rather than "telling/ showing" the person an answer, that they just help the person make a decision they've been mulling over for a while (something that has already been there in their head.)

That's my view on it.

Daeva Okami-Luca

∞Protector∞
    Years
  • I was given a tarot deck and I actually don't believe it's magic. Rather, I believe it's a tool to help you relate to yourself and better yourself.

That's my view on it.

Mine also; I forgot to put in that I use tarot as a Divination and not a magical tool. The thought was there, but the fingers forgot. ^^;

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I actually found a religion that thinks he is the source of light (Lucifer translates to "Bringer of Light") and inspiration. They think it was a blessing that he told Eve to eat the apple because in doing so he gave humans knowledge. Actually, there are a lot of things that this particular group thanks Lucifer for. Some groups do good deeds in Lucifer's name hoping that God will forgive him and let him back into Heaven.

...yeah, I'm really into religion if it isn't obvious by now ^^;

That's...actually very interesting. Coming from a Catholic perspective, I never really viewed Satan as the source of all evil but rather just a figure with all of our human faults playing around on the same level as God Himself.

In fact, in a fictional story I'm (kinda sorta) writing drawing inspiration from divine beings of Christian folklore, I've characterized Satan as a genuinely benevolent guy that simply has a vengeful streak. His only reason to lure people away from God is petty spite. Hell actually has relatively nice accommodations. XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'm technically Christian, but I follow the beliefs and stuff very loosely and I certainly don't let it dominate my life or try to force it on others.

Speaking of religion, the Jehovah's Witnesses paid our house a visit today...

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • "I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Great quote! I love it :3

My friend once used tarot cards to predict my future and it was very accurate. He did it twice in a row and I got almost the exact same results.

I'd love to read that story :D

The Jevoh's Witnesses visit my college all the time. They actually passed out a flier about how the Occult is wrong... but their flier was wrong. They didn't even cite the Bible correctly!

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    I am raised as a Catholic and I am proud to be one. I believe in all the teachings that the church, the school, and my parents taught me.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I was raised Catholic, but I never felt it was for me. I still respect it as a religion and the people who follow it. I just feel that my spirituality exists in Nature.

I am going to buy tarot cards soon ^o^

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    Im a Christian. I pray, but I never go to church or do anything other than that

Drekin

We all live in a...
    Years
  • My thoughts:

There is no proof that some kind of deity exists, so I won't believe in a deity or pray to one unless there is solid proof. And "<insert religious text here> says <insert deity's name> exists!"

I don't like organized religion.

I only tell a few of my close friends about my religious views and I don't tell my parents because they were both raised as Christians so it would add tension to our relationship.

That's all I'm saying for now.

Back