• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What makes you emotional?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    Basically, is there anything in entertainment terms that makes you emotional? Perhaps it's watching the news or a certain song, even a movie or a youtube video!

For me, it has to be this:

Spoiler:

So, what about you?

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    oh, so many things. much of my favorite movies and albums do. NAMELY:

The Meadowlands by The Wrens makes me more emotional than anything else because it takes me back to a specific Period Of Heartbreak, yet I still use it to get through New Periods Of Heartbreak, and they always remind me of the one previous Period Of Heartbreak, making me miss that girl for some reason, but then I'm missing whatever other girl has broken my heart at the time, and it's a mess. this is a weird paragraph.

then, my four favorite films of all time (Rushmore; Synecdoche, New York; Mysterious Skin; My Own Private Idaho) all make me hugely emotional yet I still watch them often so I can Feel. it feels good but most of them make me sad.

there are countless other examples; emotion is something I value above all else in all art.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
    Synecdoche, New York

This. Charlie Kaufman is just great in general, i'm still pissed I never went out and saw Anomalisa in theaters.

Music doesn't really make me emotional as much as it just heightens the emotions that i'm already feeling, but movies certainly can do the trick.

There are so so so many that I could list off, but since I mentioned Kaufman already i'll go with, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Films that evoke very strong emotions from me usually have themes of nostaliga, loss, regret, and other things along those lines. ESOS has all of those wrapped up in a clever script written by Charlie Kaufman. Jesus Christ that "Meet me in Montauk" scene gets me close to tears every time. If anyone hasn't already seen the film I highly recommend it.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    This. Charlie Kaufman is just great in general, i'm still pissed I never went out and saw Anomalisa in theaters.

Music doesn't really make me emotional as much as it just heightens the emotions that i'm already feeling, but movies certainly can do the trick.

There are so so so many that I could list off, but since I mentioned Kaufman already i'll go with, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Films that evoke very strong emotions from me usually have themes of nostaliga, loss, regret, and other things along those lines. ESOS has all of those wrapped up in a clever script written by Charlie Kaufman. Jesus Christ that "Meet me in Montauk" scene gets me close to tears every time. If anyone hasn't already seen the film I highly recommend it.
    was actually going to mention Eternal Sunshine too -- probably my 5th favorite film of all time; reminds me I haven't seen it in awhile. should remedy that. glad I've found another Kaufman fan. I heard really bad things about Anomalisa from people whose taste I trust so I didn't go out -- gotta dl it and give it a whirl sometime. but yeah every one of his films that I've seen is great, and I've seen them all except for Anomalisa. (and they're all so sad!)

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    was actually going to mention Eternal Sunshine too -- probably my 5th favorite film of all time; reminds me I haven't seen it in awhile. should remedy that.

i am not surprised by this in the slightest

uhhhhhh
    anything involving harm to kids or their general distress is something that'll cause me to feel something
    nothing quite like thinking the child in the movie is about to die or be injured and then come out fine - even worse for me is when they are hurt, the example that first comes to mind being the scene in kramer vs. kramer where dustin hoffman's son is injured on the playground and he's being rushed to hospital while still audibly in pain

Years
    Stories of loss and sacrifice usually make me cry, but it depends on how it is builded up and presented. A poorly made attempt will only make me either sigh in annoyance or laugh.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Full Metal Jacket. The whole movie. Heck, I still remember Gunner Sgt Hartman's epic opening speech to the future Vietnam war participants in the very first few minutes:

One of the most striking messages in FMJ which was shown at the end of the film was the nature of Duality. The duality of man. A man could be wearing a piece sign necklace around his neck while participating in something as violent as war itself..

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    eternal sunshine fucked me up in a weird way good god.

songs that i associate with specific moments in my life can get me, or just certain people or situations. pickup truck by kings of leon gets me a lot, though it probably means nothing to most people. imagine by john lennon is probably gonna get me now bc they played that at a funeral i went to recently for a family friend (which is an odd choice bc the last thing most people want to hear at a funeral is "imagine there's no heaven" but i digress??) so i'm just gonna think of, well, funerals. hanging on by active child doesn't make me cry or anything, but it kind of prompted me to break up with someone before so it's p heavy too.

s'all i got for now.

Irelynn Skye

Caring Sweetheart
    Years
    I can't stand to see kids or animals in pain. Although I do not have kids, I have a lot of pets that I consider to be my babies. Just the thought of them getting hurt in any way is enough to make me upset.

Back