• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What Might You Do Differently?

Guy

just a guy
Years
  • So, compared to your original game play in Gold/Silver/Crystal what do you think you may do differently in HeartGold and/or SoulSilver? Such as, are there things you did before that you would want to change now or maybe keep things the same for old times sake.

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
  • The biggest mistake I ever made in Crystal: defeating Suicune. I'll make sure not to do that again.

Years
  • my first play through i'd keep it a bit vintage, eg catching a planned team of what i normally, and what i used to get.
    i'd also make sure i went to every place & did everything there (i never used to go to ruins of alph, or fully explore the union cave etc)
    second playthrough i'd go to all the places and just get a team going as i play through, changing it all the time with new pokemon i encounter :)

silvanarrow

A figment of your imagination
    Years
  • I'm planning on switching up my team a bit from the original G/S/C. My team last time was:

Cyndaquil
    Pidgeot
    Mareep
    Wooper
    Dragonair
    Lugia

Back then I didn't like evolving some of my Pokemon. This time I'm considering this for a lineup:

Typhlosion
    Pidgeot
    Ampharos
    Lapras/Vaporeon
    Umbreon/Scizor/Dragonair (Yes, I'll still keep it as Dragonair)
    Lugia (Just for in-game and nostalgia's sake)

I'm also going to change my rival's name. Back then, I just named him Gary because I couldn't come up with anything more creative. I'm going to give it a lot more thought this time around because Silver is my favorite of all the rivals in the handheld games.

One last thing: I'm NOT wasting my Master Ball on Lugia like I stupidly did back in Silver. I'm gonna save it for Suicune ^_^

1KewlDude

Really busy... STRESS!!
    Years
  • Well the main thing I will do differently is use more Pokémon than just my starter Pokémon... lol xD I hadn't really grasped the idea of using a variety of Pokémon back then (I was young) and I would just go through the whole game with my Cyndaquil for example, which wasn't too hard, but it's not as fun as raising a variety of Pokémon. Other than that... I don't know what else I would do differently... I know more now than when I first played Silver so this time I will play with a bit more understanding.

However, HGSS are going to be different from their predecessors in many ways, being on a completely different platform. So playing the games will, I think, be a completely different experience in itself.

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
    Years
  • Well, now that we have EV's and NAtures to think about, a lot of people will be playing much differently. I, for one, will make sure that my Cyndaquil is fed only Attack and Speed EV's to promote healthy growth, a shinier coat, Flame Wheel and Thunderpunch.

I don't think I'll change my team, though (Except for evolving Sneasel). I like Physical Sweepers.

Typhlosion
    Crobat
    Tyranitar
    Weavile
    Dragonite
    ??? (Probably Ampharos)

I highly doubt it, but I wonder if the Red Gyarados will still inhabit Lage Rage? If so, it will knock their price down sooooo much.

OOH OOH OOH OOH OOH, maybe they'll bring back the ExtremeSpeed Dratini! :D *Shines*

God, I loved that thing so much.

kiv_umar

Musician
    Years
  • well this time around i'll send in a riolu egg as early as i can, now i need a Lucario at the end of my team, just gotta have one lol

kellogs

Crunchy
    Years
  • Make better use of HM slaves,don't rush the game and make it an experience,catch more than ten pokemon(now thats a challenge) and like you said,save the master ball for the beasts :D

thelaytonmobile

Beginning Reading Your Message
    Years
  • I messed up majorly in Crystal, so I'm gonna do everything differently. I'm gonna make sure pokemon other than my starter are trained properly. I'm not going to knock out any legendaries/Sudowoodo. I'm going to have a balanced team. And I am going to reach the pokemon league.
    Yeah, I failed even to reach it. Didn't even get through victory road. (I don't think I actually went in though...). I sucked when I played Crystal. It was like, the 2nd video game I'd ever played. I also sucked at sapphire, but not quite as much. I'm better now. ;)
    Anyway, I will play the game properly this time.

silvanarrow

A figment of your imagination
    Years
  • OOH OOH OOH OOH OOH, maybe they'll bring back the ExtremeSpeed Dratini! :D *Shines*

God, I loved that thing so much.

I cosign wholeheartedly ^_^. I LOVED the Extremespeed Dratini, since I used a Dragonair on my Silver team and wanted to catch one for Crystal. It's such a fun move.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I'm going to have a much more balanced team. It took me until about third gen to realize there's a much more fun experience in using more than one team member.

Also I'm not going to name my rival "???" again. I'm still embarrassed about that...

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    I'd keep a game going after I beat it. Everytime I played G/S/C, I would reset after beating it.

I would also try to complete the Pokedex in my first shot.

And of course, make a team of weak Pokemon to conquer the E4 in the most humiliating way possible.

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
  • Like some others, not waste my Masterball on an easy-to-catch Pokemon.

I didn't mess up too badly in GSC... but I did trade away the Red Gyarados to my Yellow (I don't even remember why) and then ended up restarting Yellow later. Oops. Definitely not going to do that again.

Apart from that, probably use different Pokemon (like many others, I used mainly my Meganium... I don't even remember what the rest of my team was, probably HM slaves). And I'm going to try not to be OCD and waste time in one area because I have to catch every Pokemon in that area... but I still do that so that probably won't work :P.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2015
    This time I won't make a new save file after beating Red with Typhlosion. I did that because I wanted a Feraligator. But then when I beat Red again, I wanted to play with Typhlosion again so I deleted it again. So Im not doing that again.

Im also never gonna go to Lugia with only 6 Ultra Balls. Man I hated that. I could never catch him......

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2009
    ill just put more effort into completing the game. i cant wait for the release !

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2009
    I won't waste master balls early on... I'll save it for Raikou. And I won't use a Sudowoodu on my team XD

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016
    Not kill the Red Gyrados. :D

Definately try and make a good team instead of just relying on one or two Pokemon.

sonicisrad

^ Yes he is. ^
    Years
  • One thing I am definately doing the same is getting the traded Machop from Goldenrod Department Store again. Nothing better than having my favourite Pokemon (Machoke) get boosted EXP. :) :) :)

Other than that, I'm going to catch Pokemon with as little weakness as possible. e.g.

- Chinchou/Lanturn
    - Gligar
    - Magnemite/Magneton/Magnezone???

etc. etc.

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
  • Teach my pokemon different type of moves. I use to teach my pokemon all move of their type like teaching my Typhlosion all fire moves or something like that. I didn't even think about teaching them other type of moves. This time I am going to use my knowledge of different type moves to my advantage. haha

Back