• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What next?

pkmin3033

OK, so I know it's waaaaay too early to be discussing the games that will follow these ones, but given that these were the last things people expected, I'm curious to know how this has revised your internal expectations for releases. What do you think will follow these titles? A third Eclipse/Stars version to tie SM and USUM together? Gen IV remakes? Gen VIII? Something else entirely? Share your revised expectations of the future!

Years
  • Considering 5th Gen established a new trend of two main series releases and a 3-year lifespan for generations, I'm guessing next year will have no new game released while it's followed by 8th Gen starting in 2019. Then my guess is 2020 for the Diamond & Pearl remakes, since it will come a little over 5 years since OR/AS and follow the "remakes every 5 years" pattern but 6 years instead due to an exception that 2019 was used to introduce the new region.

Just my two cents here.

Last edited:

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • My speculation is that Gen 7 will end after US/UM, probably near the end of the 3DS' lifetime and a new Gen 8 game will come out either on the Switch or on a successor to the 3DS (I think it'll be the former because I don't see why the Switch can't be both Nintendo's current home console and current portable handheld). To give more time for the S/M anime to finish (it seems slow paced so far), I'd imagine Gen 8 would start in 2019 with a new game and then the Diamond/Pearl remakes will follow a year after.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'd say gen VIII on the Switch but that's only assuming they take a year out. If they announced a new generation for the Switch at the beginning of 2018 for a release a few months later as usual, that would mean gen VII would only last for two years which seems far too short. Unless they take a gap year as they've done previously and wait until 2019 for the next generation to continue the 3-year gen trend, then I think it's quite hard to say at this point where they'll go next. DP remakes are still a possibility for next year as a filler before the Switch transition, I mean gen IV did have both a third game and remakes so I guess it's possible?

Years
  • I'm expecting Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (I hope for Platinum in some form, at least) remake(s) for the 3DS and (yes, and)/or Gen VIII or some sort of Sun/Moon port or Kanto based game for Switch. Just depends on how much Nintendo wants to push the Switch and how dedicated they are to the whole "support the 3DS through 2018" thing.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I realize I'm in the minority here but I strongly hope DPPt remakes will not be after this. Original games > remakes tbh. I don't want a alternate universe/sequel, then a year of nothing, then a game we've already played. New region, new everything please. :(

pkmin3033

I actually half expect another game set in Alola after these; just a single game (maybe the much wanted "Stars" or "Eclipse" version) to tie SM and USUM together. It's something GF hasn't done before and would make the games feel a lot like a trilogy. Not a third version or a sequel, but a third part. Given their pushiness with the "story" side of games - especially with Gen VII - I think it would be a natural fit. For the 3DS, of course.

Failing that, I think we'll see DPPt remakes before Gen VIII. As the only generation that doesn't have access to Pokemon Bank in some form, and the next in line for the remake treatment - not to mention the general in-game hints and the speculation surrounding them - I think they're pretty much a given. These should be on 3DS too. Pokemon should not leave the 3DS until a successor for it is released, and that successor is NOT the Nintendo Switch.

I know I'm in the minority when I say I do not want Pokemon to move to the Switch, ever. I want a successor to the 3DS. The Switch is NOT a viable substitute for a dedicated handheld system, and I know that if Pokemon were to move to the console then we'd be seeing longer development times an long years of waiting because it'd need a drastic visual upgrade to take advantage of the system, and substance is more important than style.

And, given how terrible Colosseum and XD were on the Gamecube, I don't want to see a 3D adventure-style Pokemon title again, because I seriously doubt it'll be of a quality even approach the handheld titles, even if - especially if, in fact - it is a core series game. Keep the Switch for spinoffs, put the core series on the 3DS or a successor to it. I think this is very likely if there is going to be a successor to the 3DS. If there isn't, I suppose Gen VIII on the Switch is very likely. But I don't think it'll be what comes next.

Years
  • Meyneth's point about the Switch is one I agree with. It has portable functionality but it's mainly marketed as a home console, and Pokemon's strong selling point is on the handhelds like the 3DS.

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2017
    I wonder what the name of the next Pokemon Mystery Dungeon should be. And also, I miss Pokemon Ranger games. Hopes they will make a new version of Pokemon Ranger series with Gen V Vi VIII Pokemons.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I think the next (mainline) set of games after these may very well be gen 8. There's a very real possibility of that. It would end up being a similar gen to gen 5 in that case. (having only two pairs of mainline releases) Edit: Though thinking about it, that's gen 6 as well isn't it? We only got two pairs of mainline releases last gen as well.

I'm going to predict a lot of predicting of gen 4 remakes and a "Stars" followup game (while at the same time strongly rejecting the idea of gen 8 coming so soon) and then it ends up being nothing at all. Like what happened with Pokemon Z.

I'm starting to really doubt a "Stars" game on Switch now because the way they talked about Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon in the direct makes it sound like they're considering it the ultimate version.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I would be really surprised if Game Freak continued this generation and gave us DP remakes. Personally, I think we'll get a whole new Pokemon game next year to bring us into a whole new generation and then after that we should be revisiting Sinnoh hopefully.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I REALLY wanted DPPT Remakes to happen instead of an Alola Sequel (which is what we got here) due to the reasoning the Distortion World could tie into the Ultra Dimension and it'll be a perfect balance for the Alola sequel & DPPT Remakes everyone wants. (Or least what I wanted lol)

But I do understand the need for an Alola Sequel, as much I'd enjoyed SM, Alola did lack an overall satisfaction and brought up many new features that need to be polished.

As much it pains me to say this, I will not be surprised if the Pokémon Franchise will be put on a halt after USUM.

One reason why is that I feel like GF is "selling out".

I always hate to say that GF is selling out because the Pokémon franchise has so much room for creativity but if we reflect on the newest games GF has put out for the franchise, it seems like their creativity is at a limit point.
    All the newest features in the recent generations are very fanbase-demanded in a way. For example, Mega-Evolutions, Pokémon Fusions, Z-Moves, a Non-Traditional system, the battle Royale, Poké Rides, IV Training, Alola forms, etc were all fanbase hopes & wants for the next generations.
    I'm not saying its a bad thing that the newer features do appeal to the fanbase's wants, but there should be a perfect balance and lately, checking off all what the fanbase wants instead of coming up with something entirely different is throwing off the balance and is concerning. It shows in a way that the team isn't 100% sure how to bring something new into Pokémon.

Also, another reason, all the newest features are considerably overwhelming as is. If GF were to put out a new gen, the expectations of bringing in new features or just even adding any new extreme features, the franchise will be eventually be blown out to portion complicated instead of being this simple strategy game with advantages to gain.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2018
    2018- new MD game for switch maybe
    2019 - Gen 8 for switch
    2020/21 - DP remakes
    with switch i think we won't get new game evrey year. becuase the HD stuff

Intelligence

The return
    Years
  • 2018 - Break year
    2019 - Gen VIII (Switch)
    2020 - Sinnoh remakes (Switch)
    2021 - Kanto sequels (Switch, 25th anniversary)
    2022 - Break year
    2023 - Gen IX (Switch)

Look! Gen VI's not alone. Gen VIII will not have a follow up either. :P

Years
  • I think the next (mainline) set of games after these may very well be gen 8. There's a very real possibility of that. It would end up being a similar gen to gen 5 in that case. (having only two pairs of mainline releases) Edit: Though thinking about it, that's gen 6 as well isn't it? We only got two pairs of mainline releases last gen as well.

Well, a Pokemon game got confirmed for Nintendo Switch at E3, that Game Freak has been working on. I think it may be safe to assume that will be the 8th Gen games, but the question will be what year will we start that generation?

And as you said, both 5th and 6th Gen had two paired "core series" titles, so I could see 7th Gen ending on the same note.

Years
  • Failing that, I think we'll see DPPt remakes before Gen VIII. As the only generation that doesn't have access to Pokemon Bank in some form, and the next in line for the remake treatment - not to mention the general in-game hints and the speculation surrounding them - I think they're pretty much a given. These should be on 3DS too. Pokemon should not leave the 3DS until a successor for it is released, and that successor is NOT the Nintendo Switch.

I know I'm in the minority when I say I do not want Pokemon to move to the Switch, ever. I want a successor to the 3DS. The Switch is NOT a viable substitute for a dedicated handheld system, and I know that if Pokemon were to move to the console then we'd be seeing longer development times an long years of waiting because it'd need a drastic visual upgrade to take advantage of the system, and substance is more important than style.

I agree. I'd predict a DPPt remake, and honestly I wouldn't be totally opposed to that. It goes along with their current trend, but of course I feel like to have a real impact as needing a 'remake', they'd need to put the remake on the Switch, which leads me to my next point.

I'm not for Pokemon moving to the Switch. Besides being a broke college student with no revenue to purchase a Switch at this point, it isn't going to be the same - as much as Nintendo would like to think that it is with the handheld 'capability', it simply won't live up to the previous titles, and I'd like to see them keep Pokemon and the Switch seperate entities, at least for the core franchise. The only positive that could come out of this is being able to play a core Pokemon game easily on a larger screen, but I feel that wouldn't exactly fit with the type of game it is.

And, given how terrible Colosseum and XD were on the Gamecube, I don't want to see a 3D adventure-style Pokemon title again, because I seriously doubt it'll be of a quality even approach the handheld titles, even if - especially if, in fact - it is a core series game. Keep the Switch for spinoffs, put the core series on the 3DS or a successor to it. I think this is very likely if there is going to be a successor to the 3DS. If there isn't, I suppose Gen VIII on the Switch is very likely. But I don't think it'll be what comes next.

Completely disagree with this, though - I personally found Colosseum to be an absolute delight. Though XD didn't quite live up to its predecessor, it wasn't all too bad in its own right. In fact, I'd say they're probably the two best spin-off titles in Pokemon. There are some other ones that have a good argument, but in terms of depth of story/quality of gameplay, I'd take Colosseum over the field. Therefore, there may be room on the Switch for a game of that style and genre, in my opinion.

Intelligence

The return
    Years
  • I agree. I'd predict a DPPt remake, and honestly I wouldn't be totally opposed to that. It goes along with their current trend, but of course I feel like to have a real impact as needing a 'remake', they'd need to put the remake on the Switch, which leads me to my next point.

I'm not for Pokemon moving to the Switch. Besides being a broke college student with no revenue to purchase a Switch at this point, it isn't going to be the same - as much as Nintendo would like to think that it is with the handheld 'capability', it simply won't live up to the previous titles, and I'd like to see them keep Pokemon and the Switch seperate entities, at least for the core franchise. The only positive that could come out of this is being able to play a core Pokemon game easily on a larger screen, but I feel that wouldn't exactly fit with the type of game it is.
    Such a shame then for you that they did confirm a Pok?mon Switch game.

I am actually excited for it despite being unable to purchase a Switch. I am for the future and this is what the Switch represents, the future.

Years
  • Such a shame then for you that they did confirm a Pok?mon Switch game.

I am actually excited for it despite being unable to purchase a Switch. I am for the future and this is what the Switch represents, the future.

Oh, didn't know it was a full core game, I thought it was a confirmed spin-off. Well, I'm still not for it, but I hope they make something amazing. I'll always be a Pokemon fan, just probably won't be able to play this one for a while, which is unfortunate.

Back