• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What type of hacking do you perfer?

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
  • Hello there, I was just curious on what you guys perfer when it come to rom hacking, do you perfer GB/GBC hacking,GBA hacking,or DS hacking.

I honestly perfer GBA hacking because it's kinda not as complicated to me than any other type of hacking.

I'm sorry if there was already a thread like this, if there was I honestly didn't know.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    GBA, mainly because they're pretty easy to hack (they have many tools and are the most "explored" ones hex wise). That's pretty much it for me. Also now that I know hwo to hack the 3rd gen, I wouldn't change to 2nd or 4th. lol

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    GBA, but only because that's all I have learned to do right now. If I ever had the time, I might give DS hacking a try!

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    GBA. It has the most tools and is the easiest to hack at the moment.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • GBA, mainly because they're pretty easy to hack (they have many tools and are the most "explored" ones hex wise). That's pretty much it for me. Also now that I know hwo to hack the 3rd gen, I wouldn't change to 2nd or 4th. lol
    Both Gold and Silver are well-known too you know :P

I like hacking 2nd gen myself because mapping in 3rd gen is a pain (too much stuff to be edited) and it wouldn't be possible to do a major hack with new storyline that would take place in Kanto/Hoenn.

Besides, there are many 3rd gen hacks of pokemon already so I don't see a point in making my own.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    I would love to get to the groove with DS hacking, but I don't have the time for it, so I'm sticking with what I know; GBA. It's not bad anyway, carries out the stuff I want in my pokemon hack.

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
  • I'd have to go with DS. I mostly hack GBA, but I see so much potential in DS hacking that I can't stop myself from doing research!

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
    Years
    • Seen today
    GBC/DS

GBC has a nice charm to it, and the games are tougher to hack so it really shows skill if you can do it.
    DS uses 3D models. No more illusions. Maps look how they should, and finally Pokemon becomes modern. It's great.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
    Years
  • I do GBA because that is what I learned how to hack. However, if I actually become more fluent in my hex and languages, I really want to start delving into the DS games, maybe write some programs. It would help the community a lot, but I'm still early in my hacking, so we'll see.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    It would be obviously GBA hacks, simply because there are a lot of tools available and is much more convenient and easier than DS hacks. :)

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I don't have much free time when it comes to hacking; let alone learn how to hack other platform games. I'll stick with what I know right know and just expand on it. So yeah, I "prefer" hacking GBA games. It is also the most supported when it comes to tools, so that makes hacking it a tad easier.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2019
    When I was active? GBA, most specifically FireRed. Not everything is known about it, but enough things are known to make it possible to reverse-engineer the rest on one's own.

Back