• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What was it that got you into the Pokémon franchise?

Years
    My parents. They were buying me plushies and those chocolate eggs with figured and some standing paper pieces. I was obsessed with them. I know for a fact that I was a fan of Pokemon even when I was in kindergarden because I was in a group of kids obsessed with it lol.

Games wise, a friend of mine gave me a PC emulator and some Pokemon games, about 7 years ago. :D

Years
    For me it was the anime. I was only 7 and I was like channel scrolling (because I was very curious when I was little) and suddenly I came across the Pokemon anime and I fell in love with good ol' Pikachu myself to the point I got a cute Pikachu plushie.

Sadly the plushie is no longer with me, but that was my first discovery of Pokemon and what made me get into the franchise.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    The moment when people at school started trading Pokemon stickers. That was only a couple of weeks before the TCG made it to our country, if I recall correctly...

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    I think it got huge when I was like 5 years old. My Uncle was 12 at the time and I think he told my mom about it. She got me a GBA with Pokemon Fire Red. I'm 18 now so that math definitely does not add up, but whatever xD.

Years
    I was at primary School when Pokemon came to the UK and everyone was obsessed with it I was mostly into the cards and the anime (or cartoon as we called it back then) and the toy merchandise as I didnt have a game boy I had to play on Emulators. I remember Parents hated Pokemon (because of the cost) and teachers hated it to (because of play ground disputes over cards and "Pochantis" cards as our headteacher called them were banned).

It was Ruby on the Gameboy advance that got me into the fandom proper when I could enjoy he franchise for what it was rather than as a fad.

La Espada

Captain Ressentiment
    Years
    I'm pretty sure it was the anime for me. When it first came to the US I was only 5 so I have no recollection of how I even came across the show in the first place. I do remember getting Pokemon Blue for my 6th birthday though and things just took off from there.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    For me it was Pikachu. Once I saw that cute little mouse, I was hooked on Pokemon forever. I think that's one reason Pokemon Yellow became my first game. It was because Pikachu followed you everywhere you went. XD After that, I just got into the franchise more and more until I was liking all of the pokemon.

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
    My brother had the Rom of Pokemon Blue on his computer and one day, when he wasn't around, I sneaked into room and hopped onto his computer and started to play it. I had always seen him play it, he would always make me watch him play video games. And I was like, I want to try this game too.

I would have been around 7 or something? Ever since then, I've bought every versions, bought every sort of Pokemon thing I could. And I'm pretty sure Pokemon will always be with me for life.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    I first discovered Pokemon when I was at school in the late 90's, just a few weeks before the entire world did too. You know, to this day I have still not seen a craze catch on at the level that Pokemon did for the year or so when it first exploded. It was everywhere: you couldn't walk down the street without seeing other kids trading cards or seeing a shop with a poster of a Pikachu in their window.

I became hooked instantly. I think my obsession with it lasted for around two years, and I enjoyed Pokemon so much for that short period of time that even now, all these years later, I still find myself drawn back to the franchise no matter how long I've been away from it. It was my first love no doubt. 10 years old and I was smitten.

The anime introduced me to Pokemon - who the characters were and what it was about. Then came the Pokemon cards, which took my fandom to a whole new level. We had a Pokemon roadshow (you know the ones) come to town and show us how to battle properly and from then on I would play at every given opportunity. But more than the anime or cards was my love for the Gameboy games. Hours and hours I'd spend on them, completing and restarting. I'd hate to think how many batteries I went through back then. My best friend as a child shared my enthusiasm for Pokemon which made it perfect. I still hold such a warm, fuzzy, nostalgic feeling for those couple of years.

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2014
    For me it would have to be watching the Pokemon TV show when I was younger and playing the Pokemon Stadium games. That is what inspired me to get Pokemon Y.

Years
    Okay this is how pokemon got me. First time I saw pokemon was at burger king and I got a turtwig card. Awhile after that one of my moms friends had a d.s. and he didnt want it anymore it also had a pokemon platinum cartridge. I was terrible at it so I gave up often. Then I got soulsilver and wasn't as bad and beat the elite four. Than I reset and started with totodile and had the best time ever my friend even asked me to beat the elite four for him. Thats when i started getting good at it and researching things and now im hooked on it.

I still have that pokemon platinum game and I am currently doing a bidoof run (going through the game with a party of bidoofs.)

Back