• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What was your most OMGWTF moment in B/R/Y

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I remember how frustrating it was for me to try to find my way from Mt. Moon, it took me forever and I got so mad as a kid constantly trying the same ladders without realizing and then running into Zubat, Paras and Geodude, it was mind bobbling to me haha.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    <BLUE VERSION>

When my Hall of fame record was wiped and replaced with some high ptched zapdos soundin bir type pokemon

So then i thought wait its flying not bird ??? then WTF

Years
    • ?
    • Seen Aug 16, 2014
    When I read about Missingno being able to multiply items, then finding out I had no Rare Candies left. I then went all over the world looking for a leftover RC, and found the very last one deep at the Power Plant. Priceless.

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    The first time I saw Zapdos in Pokemon Yellow. I had never encountered any of the other legendary birds before, and I didn't expect it to be one either. I basically went down like this: "Why the heck is there a Pidgey in the Power Plant? I suppose I'll go up and... WHOA IT'S ZAPDOS. RUN!" I actually did run and, much to my disappointment, I learned that you couldn't catch it again.

Then there was the first time I saw those Ghosts in the Pokemon Tower without a Silph Scope. I didn't know I was supposed to go to Celadon first to get it. I got so scared and was all "aaaah charmeleon attack attack attack what do you mean he's too scared to attack nooooooo!"

And this wasn't in Yellow, but in Silver. First experience with a Pokemon that ran away. I was walking from Ecruteak to Olivine when a wild Pokemon startled me and this crazy music started playing. Then, holy snap, Entei appeared. I screamed, then I got all excited and happy and omg legendary Pokemon! I got so enthusiastic I started yelling, "It's Entei, it's Entei! No way! Go, Typhlosion! Now! Now! Use Flame Wh-- it ran......... what.........?"

Years
    I suppose the most memorable "WTF" moment was trying the Mew glitch for the first time in 2004. I believe my exact words to a friend were "wait, the internet actually told the truth for once!".

Then again, since Pokémon Red was the first RPG I played, there were a lot of WTF moments during my first playthrough in 1998, though that was because I had no idea how to play an RPG until then :P

Jubedube

Another Charizard fanboy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2010
    When I caught Missingno and I had not one, BUT TWO WATER GUNS.

Flamboyant

Girlpowershipping fangirl ♥
    Years
    When I tried to catch the Marowak mother... when the ball reflected, I was like "HOW CAN THIS HAPPEND!?"

Ah, there's when I found out about Pikachu's dance too. When you leave him behind uhh, (the thing you jump over xD) he starts to dance in a very weird way, jumping left and right a couple times. I laughed so hard xD (I was about 7 years old, so...)

Also, (though it is in gold) when I found out, last year, that my old pokemon Gold file had a glitched Phanpy in it's PC. It has no name, OT is ???? and all it has is 4 metal claw with no more PP. Yeah, it was also lv 0, before I took it out, went battling and got it to gain 100 levels one shot. The funny thing is that when I take it out of the PC, it only creates a clone of it to put it in my party.

Grifstar

Certified Shark Bait
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    When a Mew showed up in my Hall of Fame after getting it screwed up by Missingno.

Ironically, I was in a car with someone else discussing that very same thing(because I've heard of it happening, but still wasn't so sure how true it was) and then literally, after flipping through like 2 or 3 more pokemon, THERE IT WAS.

It was also my first time I've ever seen Mew's sprite in R/B too, which probably what makes it memorable.

Then there's just Missingno. in general(or rather, just "M"). It's blocky form used to freak me out to the point it took me a long time before I even tempted to do it myself D:. Though I can't remember to this day when and where I knew about it first.

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    When i trained Missingno to lv 300 with Water Gun, Water Gun, Sky Attack and it evolved into Brock and every time I used Missingno, Brock would come out of the pokeball

Years
    OMG you guys are going to laugh at me.

It's a WTF moment.
    Before I had the money to buy a GB or any Pokemon game, I'd visit my big brother who lived w my Grandparents and I'd play his game.
    I thought Dittos were amazing.
    So, playing his Blue Version, I uhm...ran into a ditto and couldn't catch it...so...I used my brother's MASTER BALL to catch this insanely weak Ditto.
    He hated me.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    When I realised that I bought this game for $20.
    Biggest waste ever.

In game, it had to be when I finally found out that ghost type moves weren't super effective against psychics.
    THE HARD WAY.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    When I realized that as a six year old I had been calling "Bug Catcher" by the name of "Bug Charmander."

=3=

Back