• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What would you change?

tnfsf11

Spoiler:

Imagine you had the chance to change anything in the Pokémon Anime (series and/or movies), what would you change? (Feel free to mention particular episodes or movies)
    And if you were to make future episodes & movies how would you make them? (What would be the story, the Pokémon, the characters...etc.)

If it was up to me I would edit the Porygon & Jynx episodes to NOT be seizure-inducing & controversial respectively. Also I would make Ash age & become more mature, making him less of a dumb***, he would learn from his mistakes & evolve his Pikachu & actually beat the E4 then either go back to beat all the old E4s or proceed to a new region.
    In addition I would make an episode/movie with Porygon's 2 evolutions where...
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2013
    If it were up to me those two part Team Rocket Vs. Plasma episode would've aired by now(I would've had it done in late 2012 early 2013). I would've aired the Porygon episode without the strobe effect(probably only a few times though it would be released on video) and I would've had Porygon2 and PorygonZ appear at some point.

Legend Of Dratini would've aired with some censoring(altering the firearms like 4Kids did for One Piece, removing Meowth's Hitler-esque stache, editing the scene of Jessie "interrogating" the warden)

Beauty And The Beach would've aired rarely but been availible on video like Holiday Hi-Jynx.

I would've had the Jynx in the Holiday and Ice Cave episodes re-colored into it's purple-ish design to avoid any further controversy.

I would've aired the Barboach vs Whiscash episode about at least a year after the 2004 Sendai earthquakes.

I would've aired the mystery Polemon New Year's episode

I would've kept the Castellia fishing episode in it's original intended place.

I would've made Ursula less annoying and made Paul less of a jerk

I would've had Cylan return to his gym and Brock rejoin the group at some point.

I would've had Iris stop calling Ash a kid, or better yet have him snap at her and say "You're a kid too, so shut up!!"

I would've kept the 4Kids voice cast

I would've resolved the stuff with the GS ball

And finally, I would've had Ash actually WIN a freaking league(besides the Battle Frontier) for once and not lose to the likes of Cameron(who I would've made more competent to make his rise in the league seem less contrived), also I wouldn't have had that other guy pull out a freaking Darkrai.

Infinite Latios

Champion
    Years
  • If it were up to me those two part Team Rocket Vs. Plasma episode would've aired by now(I would've had it done in late 2012 early 2013). I would've aired the Porygon episode without the strobe effect(probably only a few times though it would be released on video) and I would've had Porygon2 and PorygonZ appear at some point.

Legend Of Dratini would've aired with some censoring(altering the firearms like 4Kids did for One Piece, removing Meowth's Hitler-esque stache, editing the scene of Jessie "interrogating" the warden)

Beauty And The Beach would've aired rarely but been availible on video like Holiday Hi-Jynx.

I would've had the Jynx in the Holiday and Ice Cave episodes re-colored into it's purple-ish design to avoid any further controversy.

I would've aired the Barboach vs Whiscash episode about at least a year after the 2004 Sendai earthquakes.

I would've aired the mystery Polemon New Year's episode

I would've kept the Castellia fishing episode in it's original intended place.

I would've made Ursula less annoying and made Paul less of a jerk

I would've had Cylan return to his gym and Brock rejoin the group at some point.

I would've had Iris stop calling Ash a kid, or better yet have him snap at her and say "You're a kid too, so shut up!!"

I would've kept the 4Kids voice cast

I would've resolved the stuff with the GS ball

And finally, I would've had Ash actually WIN a freaking league(besides the Battle Frontier) for once and not lose to the likes of Cameron(who I would've made more competent to make his rise in the league seem less contrived), also I wouldn't have had that other guy pull out a freaking Darkrai.

Supporting anything 4Kids did to One Piece... Unforgivable! You aren't a true anime fan!

More to the point, I would have edited the banned episodes accordingly, kept all the Japanese stuff that 4Kids edited out, I would have May (without her annoying brother) or Dawn rejoin Ash along with Brock, I would have Ash actually be smart and evolve Pikachu, I would have him actually age, I would've had Misty keep Togetic (that scene was so heartbreaking...), I would've had Jessie and James keep Arbok and Weezing, and finally, I would have made sure that none of the trainers got legendary Pokemon. Seriously, how the hell did Nurse Joy get a Latias?

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2013
    I'm not supporting what 4Kids did to One Piece(which i'm not really a fan off, I tried watching the dub a few times and didn't like it, then I tried watching the original and didn't like it either) but for that particular Pokemon episode it would make sense. Agreed on the legendary stuff, Tobias somehow having both a Darkrai AND a Latios was way too Farfetch'd(pun intended) to swallow. The fact that he come completely out of nowhere with no backstory didn't help either.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The main change I'd like to make is in the Unova League. I'd like it to not only be a bit longer, but to also give Ash and co. more chances to interact with past CoTDs (Characters of the Day), like Katharine and Dino.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I'd expand Platdude's to say more battle-focus and more innovation in battle. The league shouldn't have felt like an extended Don George tournament. Tbh I think previous tournaments in BW had better battles and more interesting character interaction than the league did.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2013
    Agreed on the league being longer, having Ash only manage to get to 8th place (a big step down compared to previous leagues)was a rip-off. if I was going the route of having Ash lose, I would've at least had him finish 2nd and lose to Virgil(who i'm not a huge fan of, but he's at least a much more competent trainer then Cameron, who seemed to win all of his battles by sheer blind luck. Ash losing to Virgil at least wouldn't be quite as ridiculous and asinine as him losing to Cameron was)

tnfsf11

I would have May (without her annoying brother) or Dawn rejoin Ash along with Brock, I would have Ash actually be smart and evolve Pikachu
    THAT.
    Also besides that Ash should mature up, he should also get older, & a bunch of seasons later he would be a young adult & would marry & have a little boy who will be the star of the show after Ash retires or dies or something... I would have chose a baby girl for a change but then Pokémon will be regarded as a girls' show (that's why they made Ash's companion a Pikachu & not a Clefairy :P)...

Guest123_x1

If I were in charge of making changes to the Pokémon anime, one major thing I'd do is get rid of Ash and replace him with the main player character from the region's corresponding games. I know Ash has been a fixture of the show since the beginning, but his character is getting tired by now, especially since they keep resetting him when he starts a new region (Unova really magnified this issue.)

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2013
    I would've made Ash more competent at the start of each new region, no more crap like Pikachu getting beaten by a Snivy that hasn't even battled before.

tnfsf11

If I were in charge of making changes to the Pokémon anime, one major thing I'd do is get rid of Ash and replace him with the main player character from the region's corresponding games. I know Ash has been a fixture of the show since the beginning, but his character is getting tired by now, especially since they keep resetting him when he starts a new region (Unova really magnified this issue.)
    This is exactly what happened in the Digimon Anime, every new season all the cast is changed with new characters & Digimons so it's like a completely new story each season, this was one of the main reasons Digimon died off quickly -_-...

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2013
    I would not remove Ash immediately but I would like to see him develop as a character. Have him age and actually learn and become better from each region so that one day we can have a successor to try and follow Ash in becoming better.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Let see-

-First , Ash's Defect & Inferiority against Trip

-Second , Ash rebooting.

-Third , Replace Iris & Cilan with 2 Anime exclusive Cast Character . Iris will be a referring character.

-Ash's Gym Battle with Elesa & his battle with Bianca's father .

-Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup .

-Final gym ! Ash will be facing Iris who've defected her mentor Dreydan and now taken over his position as a gym Leader .

-Ash's encounter with N ! N will play his as a Antagonist & Hero of truth .

-Ash Defect against Kotetsu ! Ash will defect him instate .

-The Unova League

Years
  • This is exactly what happened in the Digimon Anime, every new season all the cast is changed with new characters & Digimons so it's like a completely new story each season, this was one of the main reasons Digimon died off quickly -_-...

Nah, the main reason Digimon died off because it's less popular than Pokemon. Season 2 and 3 actually had decent ratings if I recall, and season 3 was noted for its complexity (for a kids show anyway)

I would change the anime by making it more like the digimon anime. A new main character every time, and a different overarching plot rather than just fight the gym leaders and become the champion. I've heard the manga is like this, though I've only read the first few volumes of it (it was better than the anime from what I've read though)

I'd even say that theoretically, the pokemon anime might be more popular if it was more complex like the Digimon anime. From what I've seen, the only people who still watch pokemon are kids and hardcore fans.

And even if it wouldn't become more popular, I would still change the anime. Down with the tyranny of the majority! :| It wouldn't hurt kids to make them use a little extra brainpower anyway

Years
  • There are so many changes i'd like to see happen... however they all fall under the more mature anime idea, covering overall appearance, character dialogue and combat. Ash's age needs to be locked at the 16-18 bracket rather than whatever his current age is (10-14?) along with those travelling with him.

With the animation I hate scenes where the only part moving is the mouth of one person and everything else is dead still, it doesn't make the scene come alive but i guess a child would be drawn and focused on that one character, nothing else. There was a scene in the first episode of the K anime on youtube where it showed a tokyo/times square area and it looked so alive, the people, cars, lights, tv screens and clouds were all moving at the same time, people were on the phone, talking to eachother... it was epic. The problem with having advanced animation is that it may be hard to churn out an episode a week, or maybe not? The Pokemon black 2 and white 2 promo trailer is going in the right direction though.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
  • I wouldn't change much
    less fillers episodes shouldn't take 200 episodes a region
    Longer Tourneys and more tourneys through out the season so it just doesn't drag out just winning badges and blasting off team rocket
    Ash Needs to win a league you could continue the show with him of he wins
    More cameos of older cast members (what happen to jiggly puff)
    Every region should of had a ash's team bonding episode with out ash like the giant pokemon episodes with subtitles of what the pokemon says
    Alot could Change

Years
  • I would make the colors not so eye poppingly bright - I prefer the slightly darker or rougher art of the earlier episodes.

I would want Ash to rotate his Pokemon more often. Usually, we never see any of his Pokemon again after he goes to a new region. I understand why that decision was made, but it would still be nice if there were a couple of episodes a season where he had an older one.

It would be really cool to see Ash grow up and make more accomplishments. He's been a trainer for God knows how many years now, and in the earlier seasons especially, he was well known as an excellent trainer. Going from region to region and doing marginally well in the Pokemon League seems to be below his skill level.

A new opening sequence every season is totally fine, but I wish they had kept the original theme song.

Less legendary Pokemon. At the most, I would restrict legendary appearances to one episode a season, if that, and the movies.

A nit-picky thing, but every main character seems to have very few interests outside of pokemon. Of course, that's the point of the show, but it would make the characters more three dimensional if they had a hobby outside of training/competing/breeding/what have you.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I think the show is in fine shape - these are just things that would be bonuses for me.

tnfsf11

And even if it wouldn't become more popular, I would still change the anime. Down with the tyranny of the majority! :| It wouldn't hurt kids to make them use a little extra brainpower anyway
    Exactly what I want; the characters to be less stupid & have a decent dialogue like in the Digimon Anime, which BTW wasn't very complex in the first few "generations" & in the same time was entertaining with a buncha jokes :P (at least in the English dub)...

IIRC now the main reason Digimon died was the use of weapons; the illustrators created tough looking Digimons that end up using nothing but weapons instead of their own powers, which is very lame IMO. The other reason was probably the complication of the Anime/games (i.e. Digimons having many formes, fusing with other Digimons, evolving according to happiness/hatred/diseases...etc).

I would make the colors not so eye poppingly bright - I prefer the slightly darker or rougher art of the earlier episodes.
    That's because the earlier episodes were in the late 90s when animated cartoons weren't so advanced like they are now; I mean that almost each frame was drawn by hand then scanned unlike today where everything is drawn on computers, not to mention the addition of the CGI.

A nit-picky thing, but every main character seems to have very few interests outside of pokemon. Of course, that's the point of the show, but it would make the characters more three dimensional if they had a hobby outside of training/competing/breeding/what have you.
    They actually started this in X/Y, as you've seen the player's compagnions in the game have interests other than Pokémon, for example one wants to be a photographer, the other wants to be a dancer...etc.

Make Ash a side character, give a new character the spotlight. Maybe a Female one?
    I agree with you strongly, I had in mind that Ash would grow up as the Anime progresses & when he reaches early adulthood he rejoins Misty/May/Dawn/Iris & eventually marries her...
    They become Pokémon Professors in the lab of Prof. Oak & have a baby girl that is actually the female protagonist in the current games then.

Back