• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] What would you consider to be the most difficult to obtain pokemon in this generation

Years
  • Note that this is different from most difficult to catch, as you can often find another piece of an evolutionary chain easier and breed up the desired pokemon. For my picks, this also excludes pokemon which can't actually be found in this generation, and which must either be obtained from events or trading in from other games. This also takes into account raid spot manipulation, shiny frame finding, and time exploits in general, as they exist and definitely impact the ease with which pokemon can be found and obtained. Without further ado, my top 3 are:

3. Turtonator. The only member of an evolutionary line, this thing can *only* be found in one spot, which isn't available until late in the game, *only* under one weather condition, and *only* in the hidden pokemon grass clumps, not in the overworld! At a 2% rate, at that! And only in one version of the game! And then to top it all of, if you Do happen to stumble across it, it's prone to self destruct on you first turn! It's exceedingly likely that without accessing an external resource for location data, virtually no one would ever even know this thing was there, much less catch one. The self destruct tendancies can be mitigated with a pokemon with damp or flash fire as your lead pokemon (damp to prevent it, flash fire to get a high enough spawn rate to get one eventually with a quick ball), but since level impacts catch rate, that requires a pokemon with a very specific ability be higher level than this end game, high level pokemon. And this is assuming, of course, you know about those abilities, as well as the location of this. It's crazy.

2. The Fossil pokemon. They can only be farmed through gathering fossils, which is entirely RNG based in terms of availability. They cannot be bred, and half of them cannot be made without extreme luck or item trading, which has never been the easiest thing in pokemon. Since 3 of the 4 can't be made without luck or trading, and even after you get one it never gets easier, you always have the same difficulty to get more, they get the #2 spot for me.

1. The legendaries. Yes, you're guaranteed to get one. However, to get another Zacien, Zamazenta, Type Null or Eternatus the paths available to you are simple: Find someone willing to trade one, or reset your save file and start over, then play through the entire game. There is no more extreme farming method than that! They pretty much have to be #1.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I think all of those are pretty good choices. To add to the Turtonator option, Drampa is arguably harder as there's no ability you can use to increase the encounter rate.

Mini Rant.
    One pokemon that is definitely impossible to find is Lapras. It's a 1% on Route 9 via fishing which is rare enough as it is, but you can find it in the wild area if you've got the right level requirement. So in the midgame, all you've got is Route 9 to get a Lapras. The problem is, is that it doesn't not like to appear. Disregarding the use of Storm Drain, it seems like it's more of a 0.1% chance of appearing. I remember when I was catching pokemon for the 'dex, Lapras did not appear after about 13+ hours or so of constant fishing. I felt like I was going crazy. I must've fished up about 1500 pokemon.

Apparently there's a specific spot on Route 9 where you can easily get Lapras, which I wish I had known at the time.

Years
  • turtonator and drampa are tough to get, yeah! 2% rate in a specific wild area location only during thunderstorms was tough, and it took me a while to find my drampa. dhelmise as well, since it only has a 1% rate of appearing in the route 9 overworld.

Years
  • It's always funny how variable it is for everyone, too. Lapras also took a while for me, 3 days straight of getting the wrong kind of weather and having nothing but Gyrados spawns at the overworld locations before I finally had a chance at it, only for it to perish song and suicide itself XD Meanwhile Dhelmise I ran into the very first time I was walking through its area, and I've seen several times since, despite the low appearance rate. Just lucky on that one I suppose.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Pokemon that appear on the overworld are so much easier to encounter than random encounters. You can just walk towards the patch of grass, then walk away to refresh the pokemon. It's infinitely quicker than encountering about 100 pokemon because you're just going back and forth. Very easy.

Back