• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's with all the hate for Kanto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2011
    You're the one with possibly the worst evolution ever created as an avatar... LOL

Tangrowth is just fine. I like him partly because unlike other Gen 4 evolutions like Rhyperior or Togekiss it dosen't look completely overblown. It's just a larger Tangela with arms. A simple evolution you might say? Then again, you praised the first gen pokemons for being simple. Why can't i praise some gen 4 pokemons for the same reason?

Oh, and let me repeat myself from earlier. Judging pokemons by their looks alone is stupid. Take a look at Tangrowths stats for example. He's a BEAST! And even though i said that Rhyperior and Togekiss looks overblown dosen't it make them bad either.

Last edited:

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • You act like this and get angry because you think people dislike a game just for the designs.

Now you're just a hypocrite because if you had actually read the posts you would know the OP has only mentioned the new games being bad because of designs in nearly all his posts. So before you go criticizing someone try taking your own advice.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • Lets be honest here, the new games and pokemon arent horrible or worse.
    Anyone who thinks like this is just a Gen 1 fanboy because anything ne is immediately put under scrutiny and compared against the originals.
    OF COURSE ITS NOT GOING TO BE THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL.

anyone who thinks Hoenn and Sinnoh aren't as good as the originals has clearly got a very Naive childish and stubborn opinion on the whole debacle.

FR/LG showed what Gen 1 is like nowadays, and moreso HGSS. I know for one once i'd beaten red, i didnt touch SS for another month or two and went back to platinum

Is that not saying something.?

If you dont think the pokemon designs and new games are good enough, then DONT BUY THEM!
    SIMPLE AS!

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
  • I've been reading through a couple threads and noticed a lot of hate for Kanto. How can you guys even think the new Gens are better than this one? No, it's not nostalgia, the new Pokemon are just horrible. They have too much detail and don't even look like Pokemon anymore. More like machines. I thought Pokemon were living creatures, animals. That's why I liked it so much, but the new ones are freakin' robots! I know, I know, HERP DERP DIGLETT HERP DERP VOLTORB, but those ones were simple. Simple designs were so much better, the new Pokemon look more like transformers than Pokemon ; eg. Rhyperior, Metagross, and the Gen 4 and 5 legendaries. Mewtwo was so awesome, it actually looked like a living creature. Wtf is a Dialga? Come on. Kanto and Johto ftw.

/rant
    *puts on hoenn and sinnoh flame proof jacket*

WAITWATH?! Are we hating the I and II gen instead of III and IV ones? When did this happen? (I must have skipped something...)Anyway I'm going to use other's reply because I don't want to type today...:bandit:

Speaking as a veteran of RBY, I couldn't disagree with you more. Each generation has had its ups and downs, and there are so many facets by which to judge that simplifying it to just looking at the pokemon themselves is folly.

GenI pokemon were memorable and timeless, I'll give you that, but it's not as if later generations didn't have their gems. Even GenIV, which is flooded with half-baked evolved forms for old pokemon, has some genuinely unique concepts like Infernape, Bronzong, Rotom, and Drapion.

Most memorable for me at least is the regions themselves. Kanto and Johto, being designed for relatively weak systems have very little diversity in their landscapes. There's forests, caves, seas, and...that's it. Boring, no? Hoenn and Sinnoh made it obvious that the developers wanted to make them more unique and interesting than their predecessors. Hoenn's volcano and desert and Sinnoh's marshland and snowy northern region are all very appealing and interesting to traverse. :D

There are other things that different people often consider in ranking the generations, such as the plotline, supporting characters, battle system, sidequests available, and legendary pokemon that I'll probably just leave for someone else to rant on. XD

Well Timbjerr told all that I wanted to wrote in my classical "anti-hate" post:laugh:. I would also add that we all have a personal taste that makes us like different story pokemon, for example, I don't like very much Infernape...;)

Hate? For Kanto? No, no, you are sadly mistaken. What you're seeing is a hate for people who have a "They changed it, now it sucks" view on Pokemon. Because Gen 1 was the first, and therefore nothing to compare it too. When newer Gens come out, you automatically compare it to what you fondly remember from around 15 years ago. That is a long time. If they just kept the same region and same Pokemon the whole time, they never would have survived. Ever. Who would pay to play the exact same game over and over again?

I'll admit, Johto is my favorite region, because Silver was my first ever video game I didn't have to share with my brother, and I just really like a lot of the Pokemon from that generation. That doesn't mean I don't like the others. In every new generation I can always find a bunch of Pokemon and aspects about the game that I like. Also, when I play them, I have no expectations. I never try to compare them. That way, I enjoy the game more.

And I know this rant is kind of pointless, but whatever. Ranting makes me feel good. c:

Oh this is another factor that I didn't mentioned: in fact, I love gen II because I love japanese architecture, I like lugia, typhlosion and meganium, but just at the idea of a III gen remake in gen V I get more excited than for HG/SS, because gen III was my starting gen...

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2011
    Forgive me for making a pretty long post here but i just wanted to post a few pics of gen 3 & 4 pokemons that i personally don't think they deserve all the hate.

Of course you are entiteled to you own opinion, but i simply do not understand how these can be considered ''bad designs'', and they by no means look like robots. I actually think that allot of these (and some others that i'm to lazy to post) could work just fine as gen 1 & 2 Pokemons. Go ahead and reply if you disagree but post why you don't like them. Also, have you tried some of these? I didn't like Sceptile until i tried using him. Now he's one of my favorite grass types.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2014
    Forgive me for making a pretty long post here but i just wanted to post a few pics of gen 3 & 4 pokemons that i personally don't think they deserve all the hate.

Of course you are entiteled to you own opinion, but i simply do not understand how these can be considered ''bad designs'', and they by no means look like robots. I actually think that allot of these (and some others that i'm to lazy to post) could work just fine as gen 1 & 2 Pokemons. Go ahead and reply if you disagree but post why you don't like them. Also, have you tried some of these? I didn't like Sceptile until i tried using him. Now he's one of my favorite grass types.

Altaria: So called "dragon/flying' type Pokemon. All I see is a blue bird covered in fluff.
    Drifbloom: A BALLOON. WTF.
    Tangrowth: Seriously? It's a big Tangela.
    And I don't know wtf that thing under Tangrowth is, but it looks like a Togetic on crystal meth.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I've been reading through a couple threads and noticed a lot of hate for Kanto. How can you guys even think the new Gens are better than this one? No, it's not nostalgia, the new Pokemon are just horrible. They have too much detail and don't even look like Pokemon anymore. More like machines. I thought Pokemon were living creatures, animals. That's why I liked it so much, but the new ones are freakin' robots! I know, I know, HERP DERP DIGLETT HERP DERP VOLTORB, but those ones were simple. Simple designs were so much better, the new Pokemon look more like transformers than Pokemon ; eg. Rhyperior, Metagross, and the Gen 4 and 5 legendaries. Mewtwo was so awesome, it actually looked like a living creature. Wtf is a Dialga? Come on. Kanto and Johto ftw.

/rant

You're the one with possibly the worst evolution ever created as an avatar... LOL

Infernape is flat out a rip off of Charizard and Blazekin. Fire on it's ass and fire/fighting type? Come on. And it's Pokemon like "Bronzong" I'm talking about when I say they don't even look like Pokemon anymore. It's a floating piece of stone with designs on it? Does it even have a gender? I thought Pokemon were like animals... Rotom is a floating lightbulb. Again, I don't consider that a Pokemon... I guess Drapion looks alright, actually looks like a living creature. Also, some of us would prefer regular cities over strange ones like the one with the treehouses in Hoenn and the island floating on Corsola (I didn't really play through Emerald that well...).

I decided to edit my post and be more specific. I'm not saying that Mr. Mime and Jynx are bad pokemons. They are actually really good ones. But nothing can ever convince me that that they don't look like crap. Mr. Mime looks like a rejected disney charakter while Jynx just looks like...ugh. I also think that Magnemite and Dugtrio are two of the laziest looking evolutions ever. Yet people completely ignore these when saying that the newer ones look like crap.

Sorry for my little rant there. I can't help it sometimes :(

Tangrowth is just fine. I like him partly because unlike other Gen 4 evolutions like Rhyperior or Togekiss it dosen't look completely overblown. It's just a larger Tangela with arms. A simple evolution you might say? Then again, you praised the first gen pokemons for being simple. Why can't i praise some gen 4 pokemons for the same reason?

Oh, and let me repeat myself from earlier. Judging pokemons by their looks alone is stupid. Take a look at Tangrowths stats for example. He's a BEAST! And even though i said that Rhyperior and Togekiss looks overblown dosen't it make them bad either.

The Pokémon community is infected with the thought that everyone who doesn't like the newer games is a nostalgia freak and gets stamped as such. The reality itself is that one truly doesn't like the games just as with other game series and not for nostalgia.

In a community one has to listen, not only write what one thinks. Even though this is a community for something as petty as Pokémon, one still has to act in a certain way and contribute and grow by listening to other members.

And this isn't done in this community where people seem to not understand each other's views because of lack of maturing. And that's why threads like these reoccur over and over again.

You act like this and get angry because you think people dislike a game just for the designs. If you "new game likers" and the "old game likers" would think maturely you'd understand each other and see that you simply like something because you like the content. Like some people preferring Majoras mask over Ocarina of Time and vice versa. The game fits with YOU. It doesn't HAVE TO fit with OTHER PEOPLE. YOUR opinion is YOURS and because others don't agree you don't need to hate them. There's no need to hate as long as you try to understand, which obviously is evident that you don't. You just say that it's your way and that's it and everyone who don't think like you are morons and reasonable to hate.

That's a very odd thing to say.

And that's because there are people like you who hate so easily over trivial things that I really dislike the Internet.

It's all about OPINION. And it's nothing to hate people over. Especially over the Internet. Come on.

On Internet what's written stays written.

You're right I don't understand the post, if I did I would have gotten another message than that the original poster simply dislikes the games because of designs. There has been no other points in his arguments that don't mention design.

I understand you're post fine, but the way you quoted Subsuck it just seems like you're defending the original poster because you feel the same about the designs. At least you backed up with other reasons then the designs of why you didn't like the games. Really I'm just annoyed that you would go attack Subsuck just because he was sharing his love for Tangrowth and you immediately taking it as an attack for someone who attacks people because he thinks they hate the games just for the designs. As far as we know based on the original poster's posts so far, that is the only reason he hates the games.

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
    Years
  • I see that already someone has misunderstood my big paragraph of rant. I don't hate people for having opinions. I don't hate people for disliking certain pokemon or certain games. I hate people for needlessly beating down on new pokemon without any legitimate arguements. Every complaint about a generation three, four, or five pokemon that has been made here could just as easily be thrown at a generation one or two pokemon. In addition to that, every compliment for a generation one or two pokemon could be used to praise a three, four, or five pokemon. So please stop wasting time and thread space creating wars of flaming.

Also, I've seen quite a few posts consisting of people complaining that the new legendaries are gods. After reading this, I looked up 'legend' in the dictionary. The definition is as follows:

Legend
    (noun)
    1. A fictional story that may or may not be based on fact.
    2. A story, usually concerning gods...

As you can see, I didn't need to continue the definition. The legendary pokemon are called that for a reason; they are supposed to be gods. Mew was the ancestor of all pokemon; lugia was the 'gaurdian of the seas'. The legendary pokemon were gods, are gods, and always will be gods. They simply became more intense and important as the generations went on; it seems as though the designers have a 'save best for last' opinion. Even so, not all of the new legendaries aren't all that more 'godly' than the old ones. Shaymin can make plants grow; Celebi can do that and time travel. So please do us all a favor and stop complaining about the legendaries.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Good point about the legendaries. It doesn't stop me disliking how many of them are branded as legendary...I'd rather there be more rare pokemon, but still......

I don't think it's quite as "save the best til last" with the legendaries, as we have Arceus now....but they're still going to come out with some brilliant ones.

But really, it's all about opinion.....and what your first game was doesn't always effect it. For example, I started with Emerald, but I dislike Jirachi, which is a Gen III pokemon, and prefer Mewtwo > Deoxys, despite never getting a Kanto game (LeafGreen) until 2008.

And you can't really criticise all of any generations pokemon for how they were designed as a whole.

For example, compare:

Both Gen IV pokemon, the top one is more complex, the lower one is simple.

I could get pokemon fitting this criteria for all generations ( Celebi and Raikou, for example. Both legends, yet the former has a much simpler design).

Still, it's all a matter of opinion....we should all just try not to flame too much (no doubt no matter how much I try to be polite, sometimes I flame people)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    The above meake alota sense. We need pokeon that are basic and some that are complex in each generation.

I think that there went any real complexy pokemon in Gen 1, but that's just me.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    I've been reading through a couple threads and noticed a lot of hate for Kanto. How can you guys even think the new Gens are better than this one? No, it's not nostalgia, the new Pokemon are just horrible. They have too much detail and don't even look like Pokemon anymore. More like machines. I thought Pokemon were living creatures, animals. That's why I liked it so much, but the new ones are freakin' robots! I know, I know, HERP DERP DIGLETT HERP DERP VOLTORB, but those ones were simple. Simple designs were so much better, the new Pokemon look more like transformers than Pokemon ; eg. Rhyperior, Metagross, and the Gen 4 and 5 legendaries. Mewtwo was so awesome, it actually looked like a living creature. Wtf is a Dialga? Come on. Kanto and Johto ftw.

/rant

I see exactly what you mean by robotic. *takes off sarcasm hat*

I couldn't care less if Pokémon are becoming 'more like machines'. It's the fact that Pokémon is evolving and changing that keeps me interested in the franchise. That may just be me speaking and I admit, since I started with Gen 4 it's my favourite, it doesn't necessarily mean I hate Kanto/Johto. As people above me have stated, some Pokémon are really great ideas, and some make you question what the designers were on when they thought of so and so.

It's not even the designs of Pokémon that makes me as an individual like Sinnoh. When did we have a snow city? Never. When did we have a evil team worth stopping? Nowhere to be seen until Gen 3. Battle frontier? See last answer. If every generation had pokemon, ideas and concepts the same as Kanto, EVERYBODY would get bored of it at some point or another, and stop taking an interest.

Final note. Look in the last paragraph. Keyword 'individual'. Some people hate Kanto and prefer new generations, like Sinnoh and Hoenn. Some people hate Sinnoh and prefer older generations such as you've said, Kanto/Johto. Some people flat out hate every generation, and some people like them all. You can't please everybody.

*end rant, braces for flaming*

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • The reason I perfer the older generations to the newer ones is simply this:
    I liked the older generation because of it's style.

I don't like the new generations because they don't have the same style of gameplay, Pokemon, ect. And I can't say that the games suck because they don't.
    And I can't argue against the games for progressing but I can argue against those that would say that Pokemon shouldn't have a particular style.

The one question I want some one to answer is, what makes Pokemon different from other games of it's kind?
    Is it the particular type of gameplay, the artistic style, the story, or just the goal overall?

nakoma

gothic pokemon person
    Years
  • My reason for dislikeling SOME and by some a mean a good some of them is because they are over designed. thats the key diffrence early pokemon where more realistic and simple but now all the pokemon have metal spikes sticking out of weird angles or like 8 eyes oe just unneeded things like sea shells and crap. look at pikachu simple, adorable and is now the franchise mascot next to the pokeball. It's not nostalgia goggles its realistic examinations that give me my feelings of disgust for some of these new "pokemon"

Not to say there is no good ones because there are lots of them, there is just alot of really dumb, digimon looking ones too. arceus looks like a bloody digimon.

Mickeycricky

Mickeycricky
    Years
  • I agree with you. I love the Kanto and Johto regions. The new Pokemon are too complex in my opinion. They need to keep it simple. First generation Pokemon will always be my favorite ^_^

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2011
    Drifbloom: A BALLOON. WTF.

Again. You criticise a pokemon design for being simple. Despite the fact that you praise the first gen pokemons for the same reason. Why is that? I'm really starting to think that you're just another guy blinded by nostalgia. In Kanto we had pokemons based on magnets and bombs. Why is balloons such a big deal?

Tangrowth: Seriously? It's a big Tangela.

I don't know what to say about you. Do you know how much you have contradicted yourself by now? Tangrowth is a SIMPLE evolution design. Right now you are bashing gen 4 pokemons for the same reason you are praising gen 1 pokemons.

And I don't know wtf that thing under Tangrowth is, but it looks like a Togetic on crystal meth.

It's name is Froslass.

Froslass is one of those pokemon designs that needs a little bit of research for understanding it's origin. It's one of those more complex designs, but what's so bad about that? I think some of the satisfaction from some of the more complex pokemon designs is to figure out their origin. Froslass is based on the Yuki-onna, a japanese legend about a spirit of a woman who perished in the snow. When you look at the information and then looks at Froslass design aswell as the typing (Ice/Ghost) it makes perfect sense. I think it's a great design, and it's by no means bad just because it's more complicated.

Actually, what makes a pokemon design better just because it's more simple? Does the pokemons origin need to be recognizable the first time you see it?

rockets>u

The Champion of on-and-off
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    The only thing I have against the new generations are the sheer number of pokemon being introduced, when is enough enough?

We are already well over 450 and that number is going to keep rising until 80% of the pokemon becomes forgotten.

Mickeycricky

Mickeycricky
    Years
  • The only thing I have against the new generations are the sheer number of pokemon being introduced, when is enough enough?

We are already well over 450 and that number is going to keep rising until 80% of the pokemon becomes forgotten.

I definitely agree. There are only so many names you can remember >_<

Trigaradon

I COME IN PEACE
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2011
    I don't hate Kanto.

I hate it when people's nostalgia goggles are on so tight that they can't see anything other than Kanto.

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
  • I love Kanto partly because of nostalgia, but from all regions there are gems of pokemon in there, so all the regions have their ups and downs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back