• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's WRONG WITH EPISODE FIC SCRIPTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    I think the main problem with them is how script fics are usually pulled off. I admit I haven't read yours fully, but when a fanfiction archive has a "no script fic" rule (like FFNet, for example), it's because script fics are usually done poorly. No offense to you or anything.

Basically, very few authors can pull off script fics correctly -- that is, with the right amount of detail in the stage directions, stage directions formatted properly so the script is readable, that sort of thing. So, instead, most script fics tend to read like chatroom logs, where the author simply figures that just because it's a script, that gives them the right to ignore the basics of the English language and have the entire thing be just dialogue. (In other words, they decide to use the script format to completely ignore conventions... even of writing scripts. That and they ignore the concepts of details, so we can't quite tell what's going on in them anyway.) To avoid this altogether, a number of fic archives just have a no script fic rule so that authors are discouraged to abuse script formatting.

In other words, the rule's usually around to maintain some kind of level of quality and weed out the bad-quality script fics.

Probably a better idea would be to have guidelines for how to properly write script fics so we can better define what is and isn't a quality script fic (so it's easier to tell and sort what should and shouldn't be closed due to a lack of quality), but really, as I've said before, scriptwriting's usually difficult to do anyway (compared to prose, at least).

Hope that made sense.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    What's wrong with Pokemon Episode Fic Scripts?

Scripts are against the rules; and fics that only follow the amine are generally seen as un-original.

If you want to write something, try to write something original. It will interest people, and they will want to read it.

EDIT: Beaten. OH well, Xanthine did it better.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    and fics that only follow the amine are generally seen as un-original.

Hey, now. That's not a fair judgment. O_o It's perfectly possible to follow anime canon and have it be original. For example, if you're fond of romance, you can always write a good fic that involves Ash and the other anime characters. For a more specific example, if I may be egotistical for a moment, Anima Ex Machina's set in the anime continuum. So, writing a hypothetical anime episode is really just like writing any other fic. You're writing a story that's never actually happened in the canon, but you're using the tone and characters of said canon. Sounds like fanfic in general to me, so yeah, it's perfectly kosher.

And, to tell you the truth, there's a lot of genres that are more tried-and-true than just writing an episode of the anime you wish would happen. I mean, OT stories tend to be looked at as a bit unoriginal. And, of course, there's also the abundance of Mystery Dungeon fics out there and the ones that follow the DP manga. No offense to any of those writers, but... yeah.

Point is, it's perfectly okay to write in the anime canon. It's all about what you do with it that matters.

Buoysel

Years
    Hey, now. That's not a fair judgment. O_o It's perfectly possible to follow anime canon and have it be original. For example, if you're fond of romance, you can always write a good fic that involves Ash and the other anime characters. For a more specific example, if I may be egotistical for a moment, Anima Ex Machina's set in the anime continuum. So, writing a hypothetical anime episode is really just like writing any other fic. You're writing a story that's never actually happened in the canon, but you're using the tone and characters of said canon. Sounds like fanfic to me, so yeah, it's perfectly kosher.

And, to tell you the truth, there's a lot of genres that are more tried-and-true than just writing an episode of the anime you wish would happen. I mean, OT stories tend to be looked at as a bit unoriginal. And, of course, there's also the abundance of Mystery Dungeon fics out there and the ones that follow the DP manga. No offense to any of those writers, but... yeah.

Point is, it's perfectly okay to write in the anime canon. It's all about what you do with it that matters.
    What I meant; is that if you write a fic that basically is the amine, then it is unoriginal.

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
    Well, for one, this is the Pokemon FanFiction and Poetry section, not the Pokemon Episode Creation section. Second, this should be in the Writers Lounge, not in the main forum. Third, you had no description whatsoever aside from occassional narrator notes. Fourth, the dialog was dry and followed the anime way too closely. Fifth, you basically just took the anime, gave the narrator a face, which you should NEVER do unless it is a parody, and attempted some dry humor. Sixth, the rules state that script fics not written by old, dead Englishmen should not be posted here. There are several other reasons, and I could VM or PM them to you if you want, but I think I have sufficiently explained why already. Just do what Xanthine and Buoysel have said and write a piece of original fanfiction that isn't a script.

EDIT: Yes! I ninja'd Xanthine! (Prays Xanthine doesn't get angry and write a thousand page review on fic.)

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    What I meant; is that if you write a fic that basically is the amine, then it is unoriginal.

I don't know about that. As I've said, it all depends on what you do with it. There's OT fics out there that follow the games pretty closely, but they also do it in such a way that you can get into the mindsets of the characters and see the game from their perspective more than you do just playing the game from a god-like position (i.e., above the action, beyond a screen). With writing a fanfic that's essentially meant to be very much like an episode of the anime, you're pretty much doing the same thing, placing yourself (and the reader) into the action of the anime so that you look at things differently.

Not to mention that even if you're writing very close to the anime continuum, it's still fanfiction in that you're not writing events that actually happened in the anime. Yes, the anime itself tends to be unoriginal at times, but it's perfectly possible to write a hypothetical episode because it's doing what fanfiction does in a nutshell: keep close to the canon but write about events that didn't actually happen. (Or I assume this wasn't an actual episode. If it was, then you're actually looking at plagiarism.)

For a better example of what I'm talking about, allow me to link you to Neon Genesis Evangelion: R. It's basically a fanfic that's written like another season of the anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion. In fact, it's so close (careful with maintaining the same tone and characterizations as the canon) that people often thought it was another canonical season of the anime. Yet, people loved it because it was actually good. (Script fic, too, actually.)

So, yeah. I wouldn't jump in and say that it's impossible to be original if you're working close to the canon. It's just another fanfic, but it admits to being a fanfic.

If anything, I'd say what DPS wanted to do is more original than what a lot of other fanfic authors tend to do because the concept he's going for (hypothetical anime episode) would have called for working close to the continuum, something very few authors in this fandom do for one reason or another. In other words, yeah, he's got a new idea that not too many people are trying. Now, I haven't really read the script, so I can't quite say he pulled it off, either. I'm just saying one shouldn't jump and say it's a bad idea to begin with. This is like saying that all OT stories are bad and unoriginal. That's not necessarily true. The majority are, but it's possible to be original in that genre too.

Edit: Also...

Sixth, the rules state that script fics not written by old, dead Englishmen should not be posted here.

Sorry. Gotta disagree with this as well. It's possible to be a contemporary playwright. It's just that, as I've said before, you've got to know what you're doing.

Buoysel

Years
    I don't know about that. As I've said, it all depends on what you do with it. There's OT fics out there that follow the games pretty closely, but they also do it in such a way that you can get into the mindsets of the characters and see the game from their perspective more than you do just playing the game from a god-like position (i.e., above the action, beyond a screen). With writing a fanfic that's essentially meant to be very much like an episode of the anime, you're pretty much doing the same thing, placing yourself (and the reader) into the action of the anime so that you look at things differently.

Not to mention that even if you're writing very close to the anime continuum, it's still fanfiction in that you're not writing events that actually happened in the anime. Yes, the anime itself tends to be unoriginal at times, but it's perfectly possible to write a hypothetical episode because it's doing what fanfiction does in a nutshell: keep close to the canon but write about events that didn't actually happen. (Or I assume this wasn't an actual episode. If it was, then you're actually looking at plagiarism.)

I see your point, but I also hope you see mine.

And for the plagiarism part; I guess that's why some people put disclaimers at the beginning of there fics.

Now to stay more on topic, and to answer the title question:

Nothing, IF you do it right. And if you want to know how to do it right, then read above posts, or this tread.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    I see your point, but I also hope you see mine.

Oh, I do. You're saying things from a viewer's perspective as well, and I can understand that. Basically, if you're the viewer, you might be turned off by the idea of reading what's written as another episode of what may be an already dry anime anyway. And, likewise, you've got to have a lot of skill working with canon and fanfiction in general to pull it off well (on the level of EVA:R -- where it feels like you're watching the anime, but the story is still interesting).

And for the plagiarism part; I guess that's why some people put disclaimers at the beginning of there fics.

Basically -- to avoid being sued for copyright infringement, essentially, and to refer people to the canon.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey, guys! What's going on?

Script fics aren't allowed because most fic authors use script because it's easier, and so they don't put a lot of time into them. Script has its own guidelines that are used when writing them, so if you honestly want to write a fic based on a script, look up the guidelines and follow those.

Because yes, you don't have to be a dead English gent to write a script. You just gotta know what you're doing.

So, DrPokemonScience, there were a few things that were missing from your fic. You have to begin the script with a description of the setting. Otherwise, the animators won't really be sure how to draw the surroundings.

Also, even Pikachu's dialog needs to be written out. Yeah, kind of weird, but it's still a character's speech, and it still needs to be included.

Ash, Dawn, and Brock were also a out-of-character. Brock would not snap at a woman who is, supposedly, around his age. The three of them also would not yell at a character who nicknames their Pokemon.

I can see that you tried to have the thread set up like a script, but it's not complete. There's also the basic misspellings and grammar issues that could have been caught with a basic read-through.

That's why, unless well-done, script fics aren't allowed here.

Now I'm going to close move this to the Writer's Lounge because it just seems to smell of wank, and I want to be amused.

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    There's nothing wrong with "EPISODE FIC SCRIPTS". Just your "EPISODE FIC SCRIPT". It lacks description, and it has terrible grammar. Even in a fanfic, it would be disallowed. My two cents. Be more descriptive and use a word processor/spell checker. Use MSWord, for pie's sake.

Kozoi

Mmmmm.
    Years
    What's wrong with Pokemon Episode Fic Scripts?

I guess your questions already been answered like 6 times. Yeah, they are against the rules and yours was quite unimaginative, sorry. You should try achual fanfiction because you only need short descriptions which you can then build on and improve before posting.

Shouldnt a mod close this so people stop telling him the same answers, i bet he feels like hes having his head bitten off by a eight legged goatse Poochyena.

Oh yeah, Antinus likes the word wank lol. (Braces for an infraction for saying wank)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Why would you be infracted for saying wank? Unless you want an infraction. I'm happy to fulfill that for you.

Also, no mini-modding. No one, with the exception of two people, get to tell me what to do. Especially when they can't spell my name right. What the frell is up with that?

I was hoping for more discussion. Of course, hoping for intelligent discussion here in PFF is like hoping that Fred Claus is going to be underneath my Christmas tree.

I love 4chan-raised trolls. Especially when they try so hard.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back