• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When did you start to like Pokemon?

Years
    I started liking Pokemon in Late 2000 I was 5.
    At times I totally forgot about mostly when I was 8
    But since I've been 10 I've liked pokemon more than Ever.

You?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2006
    Ever since the very beginning, back when every kid owned a set of Pokémon cards. A boy walked up to me at school one day and gave me three cards- one of Flareon, Kabutops and Eevee. They were the first Pokémon characters I ever saw, and it didn't take long for me to start collecting them myself and become absolutely hooked on it.

I've slowly lost interest as I've gotten older, though. I stopped watching the show and collecting the cards when I was 13, now I only play the Gameboy games.

[Technya]

Chick in riot gear!
    Years
    Since the very beginning!
    I was at school, I believe I was with some friends and they were looking at this sticker book one of the girls had and I saw, I'll never forget this, a Raichu sticker and I asked what that was and from there and on I've been hooked.

Emma

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2012
    I started liking pokemon 3 years after it began, and I have never got bored of it XD I used to craze over the pokemon cards and games with my friends.

Barboach

As we know it.
    Years
    I got my first look at pokemon from cards. A mankey is the first pokemon i ever saw. From there on in i started to like pokemon gradually.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    A few weeks after the craze started...hmm I can't remember. I remember watching Pokemon on SMTV: Live, and that hasn't been on for ages. I was in Year 4, so that would mean in...about 1998 I think. I first watched the programme, then got Red version. Then in about 2001 I lost interest, but about a month ago I got back into it again.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    uuum... 1998.
    I remember the first Pokemon thing I ever saw... I was at my friend Yulie's house. Her family is Japanese, so they have alot of things from Japan. We were in her basement, and there was a stack of books near me. I asked if I could look at them, and she said yes.
    So I was looking through the stack of books and I saw a Japanese Pokemon coloring book. It had Pikachu on the cover, with all the other 150 behind it... I looked through it, and became really interested in it after that.

...That was three days before Pokemon would air in the US.

Pretty awesome the way that it worked out, I'd say. I probably would've never known much about it if it hadn't been for that coloring book.

x3

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
    The time: Fall/Winter 98
    The place: My house

I'd just gotten my latest Disney Adventures magazine in the mail. As I paged through the stories, comics, and features; one ad in the technology section caught my eye: a bunch of weird creatures about to be caught in a huge net. One of the creatures caught my interest: a tiny yellow mouse with a thunderbolt for a tail. I kept the little guy in mind as I put the now finished magazine on the bookshelf with all my other issues

The next day, at school, I was in art class doodling and talking with one of my best friends. Out of the blue, I asked my friend just WHAT was this "Pokemon" thing that was taking the school (a junior high/middle school, mind you) by storm. My friend calmly reached into his backpack and showed me a figurine of the mouse creature! He tells me its name is "Pikachu". We spent all of art class trying to draw "Pikachu" as he tried to explain about the show to me: "Pikachu" belonged to a boy named "Ash", who traveled with his friends "Misty" and "Brock" in hopes "Ash" would become a "Pokemon Master".

Later that day, I was watching TV and having a snack, and a commercial with "Pikachu" in it came on. That was the last straw--I got Blue the next day.

And the rest--is history!

Persona

Banned
    Years
    When I was 7 years old. I liked everything about pokemon at that age. I was driving my parents nuts for all the movies, games, toys, cards, etc.

Right now, I feel sorry for them xD

Nashua

lovely, isn't she? :D
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2013
    I had started to like Pokemon back when I had gotten Red and Blue for Christmas back in 1999. The TV show had also proven to be a factor, as I was hooked on that as well. I even used to play the game when the show was playing.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Metaforte said:
    I guess when it came out in 2001. Nothing much else to say....

Whoa, 2001? Where do you live?

It came out pretty much worldwide in 1998.... o__o

Last edited:

cody2cool

South Park Maniac!
    Years
    well, on my 5th birthday my brother gave me an old gameboy (the oldest one you can get) and pokemon yellow and gold. ever since then ive been hooked!

Johto Boy

Elite Trainer
    Years
    I knew about Pokemon right when the show started in the US, but I wasn't very interested in it. However, some time later I played my friend's Pokemon Red and loved it. So I went to a store to buy a Pokemon game, and I bought Pokemon Silver. From then on, I loved Pokemon, mainly the games. I did start watching the show, but never liked it a whole lot. (I quit watching it after the Hoenn season started, it got worse then in my opinion) I've never collected the cards though. (I don't remember the exact date I started liking Pokemon, but I know it was soon after G/S came out in the US)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Sometime in 1998, I overheard a couple of boys in my class talking about a cartoon they watch at six in the morning. Already a fan of anime, I thought they were talking about another anime that was on at around the same time. I asked for a bit more information, and they told me to watch it at around 6:30.

The next morning, I woke up, crept into the living room, and turned on the TV to catch the tail end of "The Ghost of Maiden's Peak." Enthralled by the interesting storyline, the fascinating creatures called Gastly and Pikachu, and the cuteness of Ash Ketchum, I kept on watching and learning as much as I could about the show and the game it stemmed from.

Back