• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When was the last time you bought both versions of a game?

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Black and White. I used 1 cartridge for all of my breeding/trading and used the other to play through the stories again. I didn't end up getting Y, Sun, and Sword because it didn't seem necessary. I'm fine with 1 version since WiFi trading is so prevalent to get the other version exclusives.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Never. It used to be that my brother and I would buy opposite versions of each release so we'd have both games between the two of us, but since we've started living on our own, I've only been buying the versions with better (IMO) version exclusives. My brother will still buy both versions of each release, though.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen yesterday
    I've never purchased both versions upon release.

I bought Y in 2013 and then bought X in 2016 purely for shining hunting. I also have ORAS I got in 2016 but haven't started AS, only need it for game exclusives. I don't have any plans to buy both versions in the future. Can't comment on Gen 9+, but I won't be buying Sword/Shield or BD/SP.

Raj

Pokemon Master
    Years
    I was a stupid kid, and did it for Pokemon Gold/Silver, Crystal, Ruby/Sapphire, Emerald, Leafgreen/Firered, Diamond/Pearl, and Platinum.

Including the games like Crystal, Emerald and Platinum as really, I didn't need to buy them either after I already owned the earlier ones even if there were some changes.

Part of it was just so that I could trade to myself and complete the Pokedex honestly, and I think it's an absolutely horrible idea, and am glad that I haven't done something that stupid since I was 12 which was more than 14 years ago.

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
    Mew: we've only done it with firered/leafgreen, heartgold/soulsilver, and black/white, so black/white was the last time, but we have been keeping an eye out for used copies of later games!

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    I'd never buy both versions if it were up to me, but my parents have gotten me both before (most recently Sword and Shield, the latter of which I haven't even opened).

Back