• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen When you first batteld Red in G/S/C

MarioManH

top kek
    Years
    Wasn't it a pain? I thought he would have stupid junk like Golbat or something, then a Lvl 81 Pikachu comes up and pwns you, I finally took it out with 3 guys down, and it got pwned by my Golem, then comes Blastoise, and ofcourse, trucks him. Then I sent out my Lugia(Hell yeah), took out most of his guys before Espeon came out, then I killed it with like 10 HP left?

I was stupid not to bring anything but Pokeballs.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
    Years
    His Pikachu was slaughtered by my Tyranitar (Thank God) and his others were downed by an assortment of my amazingtastical team. It took like, 15 minutes though! I actually thought that the battle was inside mount Silver the first time I played cause it was all dark, and then I played HeartGold, and I was like WTF??

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    I really wish other gens would do the lvl 80+ thing final battle. I vaugely remember that 0_0 WTF!!! feeling when Red's level 81 is first at bat... But I was such an uber- spammer back then :P Lugia is still probably my favorite legendary.

Now his Snorlax... Anyone remember that ungodly strong tank? Lol

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    ow his Snorlax... Anyone remember that ungodly strong tank? Lol

It can go die. Seriously. I hate that thing.

In response to the OP, it took me a lifetime to level up my team enough before it was anywhere near ready to battle Red. The first time I tried to battle him I failed majorly, I got destroyed due to my team being about 20 levels below his.

I wish the E4/Champion on GSC had been 10 levels higher, would make levelling up so much easier and offer more of a challenge.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    When I first fought Red on Silver, I wondered why my team of low level 50 Pokemon was able to cut him up like butter.

Mute608

Stay Frosty
    Years
    I had a high leveled Snorlax and a very high leveled Feraligator (like level 95?) It was actually pretty easy to take him down with just these two.

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    I had a real hard time beating Red. Took me three tries with Pokemon at around level 60s-70s to beat him. The tank of a Snorlax was my defeat twice, and I didn't even figure out that fighting would be the best bet with it. Finally beat him after struggling forever with him.

MarioManH

top kek
    Years
    I found it funny that the only move Charizard ever used was Flamethrower, they could have gave him a better moveset and make it so hes more smart with type advantages, stat raising, etc. Like really I fought Venasaur, It used SolarBeam without using SunnyDay first.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I've never beaten him, sadly. I should probably give it another go with my Crystal party, but I might get slaughtered again. x_x I don't know how people can say he's easy. Maybe it's because I'm not a very good trainer. :/ I use my type-advantages all the time, I use items, and I tend to fight strategically, but I still end up losing. Maybe this'll be the day I actually beat him. It has been seven years since my last battle with him...

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    When I first faced Red in Pokemon Silver, my level 50-and-under team got creamed easily by his level 81 Pikachu (even Lugia didn't cut it!). So, after a few days of training my party, I was able to beat his team, (his Pikachu, Espeon, Charizard, etc), with my L70 Lanturn being the last one standing. Man, what a battle.

Years
    My first battle with Red in my Silver was epic. My Pokemon were under leveled, but we pulled through :'D

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2011
    When i first played him i did not know he was even in the game and i had played the game for over 80hours and had strong team and beat him fairly easy was pretty gutted that i could not play him again to train pokemon D:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Red: ... ... ...
    Me thinks: (So ur not gonna do an-- oh gawd its a battle)
    :L Was so funny
    was a bit hard coz of pikachu
    But apart from that he was dead as a possum on a freeway :P

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    My first battle with Red in my Silver was epic. My Pokemon were under leveled, but we pulled through :'D

Underlevelling makes for the best battles imo. If you have a super-strong team, almost all the battles (in any game) become too easy. One of my current playthroughs I have them underlevelled so bad, but it actually makes fighting the E4... Fun. Go figure lol

This thread makes me wish that the Silver that I first fought Red on didn't die :(

MarioManH

top kek
    Years
    A little off topic but - I think the sprites looked better on reds team in Crystal then HG/SS, and i got pissed how they replaced eevee, they just added another tank to piss you off. When I find my GB:SP Charger im going to play Crystal for the heck of it.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I think I've actually only battled Red once, in Pokémon Crystal, I attempted but failed, I focused on the more in-game plot and storyline based things, I do plan to get a good team togerher and battle him on SS however.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Well, I saw him send out Pikachu first, I wondered, "Oh, great, is he gonna follow up with a Lv76 Metapod or a Lv83 Magikarp or something retarded like that?"

Snorlax was a bit of a pain to take down, but other than that with Pokemon in the 65-70 range he was cake.

Sadly with Snorlax gone in HG/SS, so was his one somewhat challenging Pokemon.

Back