• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen When you first batteld Red in G/S/C

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    Oh yeah, it was a pain. My first team was about levels 45-50 (I stopped trying to level up a lot after seeing how low leveled everything was in Kanto), and filled with crap like Pidgeot and Gyarados (I didn't know it sucked in Generation 2 when I played).

*Level 81 Pikachu appears*

Me: Oh crap...

A couple months ago, I've finally managed to beat him with 5 pokemon at level 50 and 1 level 55 Dragonite (Why does it evolve so freakin' LATE?). It felt good to finally beat him with a team 20-30 levels lower than his. Figuring out that Snorlax is weaker to Physical attacks than Special attacks was a lifesaver.

Last edited:

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • he beat the hell out of me the first time, but i destroyed him the second. I never actually thought he would be so strong.

Meri-tje

Cute Pokémon FTW!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2011
    Back then I never heard of walkthroughs or stuff
    So I was just wandering through mount silver when I saw that sprite
    I was like hey let's talk to it

Omg I didn't actually expect what was coming...
    Thank god I had a pretty balanced team and stuff, but it was only level 60-70
    Well at least I had a better way of playing through the game
    My brother just did it with his 6 cloned level 100 typhlosions

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2013
    I had to send Pokemon over from my Blue and Yellow versions in order to beat him. And even then I still had troubles.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I expected Red to be a lot more challenging that he actually was. I had assumed that I would have to go back and train some more to be able to beat him, but I beat him without much difficulty on my first try (and my team wasn't even good, either). Actually, I turned off the game at the conclusion of my first battle with him, as I felt that it had been "too easy" and I wanted to get to savor the battle more before triumphing.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    When I first battled him I was like... nine. I'm pretty sure I beat him the first time, bringing all my high level Pokemon like Ho-Oh and my starter (which was the only thing I trained on my original Silver). I was scared when I first saw the Pikachu, but one Slash took it down so everything was okay.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    He murdered my Typhlosion ;;

I thought his Pokemon would be level 50 or 70 at the highest but boy was I wrong. But the second time I came back more prepared with a team full of Dragonites and Tyranitars and took him down :D

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    My level 86 Dodrio owned them! Drill peck! Also my feraligatr's ice punch and surf owned charizard and venusaur. I also loved my dragonite! He saved me a couple of times. Forgot most of my other pokemon. I knew he was there all along. (well my friend told me :P)

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
  • I couldn't win this fight until after RSE came out. This was mainly because of Snorlax & Blastoise. My Typhlosion & Dragonite just could never get it done and if they went down, I was guaranteed to lose. When I finally did beat him it was mostly thanks to an Alakazam with all the elemental punches.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I couldn't defeat him the first couple of times I battled him. I figured he would be quite a bit weaker than what he was, and he took me by surprise. I don't exactly remember how my first battle with Red played out, but I know that I didn't win because I had to train for a long time. I remember when I first won against him I was cheering with excitement. I had the most trouble with Snorlax and Espeon.

COMBOY

Pokémon Crimson & Navy
    Years
  • I appreciate a lot that we can save before any battle, including that one against Red, so we can secure our money. XD
    Well, about that battle, the first time, his pikachu killed all my pokemon team, then I started to train them hardly until they get level 60 at least, or until I get a lot of items to revive and recharge my team.

Last edited:

Schmutz

Franatic
    Years
  • I remember well. I was six or seven, and had been lost in Mt. Silver for several days with only my Gyarados by my side. Suddenly, I encountered a Trainer. Odd, he looks like my character from Yellow!
    Mystery Trainer: ...
    "Pkmn Trainer Red sent out Pikachu! Go Gyarados!"
    *level 81 Pikachu*
    Me: wtfHAX

You can imagine what an Electric-type did to my poor Gyarados...
    So I did what any sore-loser seven-year old would do. I cloned three Gyarados and three Lugia and taught them all different moves. Problem solved.

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2011
    It was easy. I had three level 100 Feraligatrs, One Tyranitar, and One Lugia.

smithtism

Blank
    Years
  • The first time I encountered that...guy (I have to be nice in my posts) I was confident. My party, which I used from the very start of the game, was in their lvl 60's, I just beat the Elite Four and I felt that I had officially surpassed the game and had little to work for anymo...
    HOLY CRAP LVL 81 PIKACHU!!!
    I lost. So I trained and got my team to lvl 65 and finally managed to take out Pikachu. I felt accomplished, but then...
    HOLY CRAP SNORLAX!!!
    It took four tries after that to beat Red (barely).

Koi

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    I never had to trouble myself with Red because back then, I owned Gameshack and RC'd my Pokemon to Lv.100.

There was no way I could have lost, so I easily 6-0'd Red. ;D

Meta Paradox

Researching FireRed...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    The first time I battled Red in my Gold Version I was like "Hey, that's me!". I talked to the guy and he just said somethin' like "..." then I was real shocked to find out that it was Red! I took him out the first or second try anyway. What was really hard to beat was his Venusaur and Snorlax. Pikachu and Espeon were a piece o' cake, though. :D

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
    Years
  • That "Oh ****" feeling hit me when I first realized it was him, and he completely owned me the first time I fought him. My party consisted of my Typhlosion, Suicune, Ho-Oh, Machamp, Umbreon, and Skymory. I gave him a hard time with my legendaries, but he eventually took them down, along with my other Pokemon.

Second time around I came with a Feraligatr, Typhlosion, Mewtwo, Dragonite, Jolteon, and a Gengar. Beat him pretty bad lol.

Years
  • Well the first time i fought him i was EXTREAMLY under leveled xD so i was pretty weak just from getting to red let along fighting him xD i don't think i've ever beat red on an actual game though seeing as the internal battery died way before i got my pokemon to the right level xD "/

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • When I first started playing Crystal, my brother warned me about this "Red" character, I thought he would be a pushover. :( Oh how wrong I was. |:<

I knew nothing about him, except for that he his first Pokemon was a Pikachu. ;; /too dumbb for interwebz.
    So I decided to catch a Geodude at Level 22 or something, and took him on with my party of Level 40-50 (I was rubbish with training) Once Pikachu was defeated by my level 22 Dude' I started being cocky with Bulking moves. :( I was creamed right there and then! >:

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • I was like 10 at the time with my Gold version, still using a GBC. My jaw dropped when I saw his Pikachu at level 81. So, my Sudowoodo used Earthquake to take out his Pikachu. Then he sent out Blastoise and took down Sudowoodo with Surf. I sent out Lanturn and used Zap Cannon, which hit and paralyzed, almost took him out. Spark finished him the next turn. Then his Venusaur came out and took out Lanturn. I sent out Ho-Oh and used Sacred Fire. That took Venusaur out. Then he sent out Espeon. My team dropped like flies, Psychic after Psychic. I trained my Pokemon up to level 65 before trying again, in which Sudowoodo had been replaced with Tyranitar. I still barely managed to beat him.

Back