• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen When you, were young-

Status
Not open for further replies.

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    In the R/S/E and FR/LG games they put in a little bit of mystery with the braille. I remember when I was younger my friend and I thought it had an extra secret behind it that would reveal one of the other legendary Pokemon. We went into deep research about it for days, hoping there would be an extra storyline that could only be unlocked by obtaining all of the Regis and Kyogre, Rayquaza, and Groudon, that involved a huge match against all of the other legendary Pokemon of all the other regions before it (I was 10 years old atm).
    Needless to say we were pretty dang disappointed when it actually meant nothing at all.

Did any of you ever try to do the same/thought there was more behind the braille mystery? Or did you just use go through the little cave, unlock the Regis and were done with it?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Hell, I struggled so much with that, I never got to thinking more about it!

Due to the complexity of the tide puzzles in Route 132/3/4, I've only ever got to that cave twice, and the last time was an accident. I've only ever had the patience to get a Wailord and Relicanth once, and therefore only captured the Regis once. I do however, therefore still think I may have missed something in Emerald, as I was 11 when I was closest to completing it.......I do remember learning of Faraway Island and wondering if I could get to there somehow....I kept looking at every random item ball that I'd somehow missed, hoping that it'd be the Eon Ticket or Old Sea Chart....

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • Ah, yes. I remember this completely. I remember hearing about it from a bunch of friends, catching a Wailord and Relicanth, and trying to solve the tide puzzle. When I actually got there, I had no idea what to do. I asked my dad, and he couldn't figure it out either. I ended up looking it up on the internet and finding out how to solve the puzzle. I didn't think it had a more signfigant purpose than the one it served, though.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • It was no problem for me due to having two resources at hand. 1. Prima Strategy Guide. 2. Gamefaqs, they have multiple FAQS on different aspects of the games and I believe they have a Puzzle FAQ dedicated to entirely this.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Looooved that puzzle. I spent forever uncoding all the stuff in the Sealed Chamber. I did start to wonder if there was more to it though, but I didn't know where else I could look other than where each of the Regis was caught. Found nothing other than them though, but that was okay for me. The story behind the Regis was enough to interest me.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I think I took the time to read the messages, but I really didn't consider whether there was any deeper meaning or mystery behind them. At that point, I was more concerned with finishing up the game.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • A long time ago, I didn't know what the Braille meant in-game and didn't know that they unlocked the Regis. I thought all of the Braille text was important somehow, but only one of them was important (the last one). So I translated all of the Braille text and got the required Pokemon to unlock the Regis.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • I struggled quite a bit with that quest (but it was still fun). In fact, I memorized Braille for a short while just to read what it said. It still took a long time to decipher, though. -_-

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I was fifteen going on sixteen when R/S were released. I knew several great resources on the Internet, so I knew fairly quickly that there was nothing to that cave other than the first step in summoning the Regis. XD

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • I didn't have access to the internet at the time, so wasn't sure about it, either. I thought it would release a legendary or something, too. I was a little disappointed when I discovered otherwise. xD

Years
  • I never actually thought about looking up any FAQs or the Braille alphabet until a while after I found the cave. My friend told me about using Wailord and Relicanth, but I was on my own after that. By the time I had Fire Red, though, I was able to figure out the Braille on the Sevii Islands quite easily.

KtTuLu

P-a-t-t-y-w-a-c-k-e-r
    Years
  • I actually loved the whole braille thing
    like you, I was around 9 or 10 when I first got ruby, and all of the cool kids would be inside at recess/lunch trying to figure out what to do
    needless to say, everyone eventually found out via the internet
    which irritated me, as I hadn't even used the internet before

I was disappointed in the fact that everyone found out exactly what to do
    I bet it'd be so much fun if we actually deciphered it or something

I guess I never really thought about a storyline in regards to the braille, I've always considered it just a more unique way to getting a legendary.
    like a more complex sky pillar

CHAZ The Cat

Come Charmander light my fire~
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2011
    Loved that.

...and the misteries can actually be traced back to Crystal, and the puzzles in the Unown ruins. Back when we thought the figures on those (I remember Ho-oh was one of them) were linked to the legendary dogs, and they were linked to the birds (as they actually were).

We thought of combinations of the Unown letters and secret places, just so we could get maybe a brand new legendary, maybe one of the old ones, like Mew, or maybe even Celebi. Turns out you couldn't.

I also deciphred the Braille with the manual lol. And I remember there was this guy near the entrance of one of the caves, who said he had been trying to get in there forever... I just wanted to rub my capturing of the Regis in his face so bad...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back