• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

where did it go down hill for pokemon??

do you think pokemon went downhill??

• yes

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • nope

Votes: 17 43.6%

• Total voters

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    The adventure and RPG aspects of the games themselves have been consistently solid throughout the entire series, even in the much-loathed Hoenn generation, so that's not in question.

What does turn people off is the general decline in pokemon design as the series progressed. Personally, I think it peaked in the second generation, with the first and third generation pokemon being approximately at the same level in terms of coolness...if nothing else, I give the nod to genI pokemon because they were loaded with useless legendaries like the Eon siblings or Jirachi.

GenIV is where they really dropped the ball in terms of useless pokemon design, from several useless legendaries (darkrai, cresselia, shaymin, phione, regigiggas, heatran, and even the lake trio fails hard compared to the regi trio, the birds, and the beasts), way too many unnecessary evolutions to old pokemon (Rhyperior, Magnezone, Dusknoir, Togekiss, Electivire, and Magmortar), and all-around useless and ugly pokemon (Bibarel, Kricketune, Pachirisu, Chatot, Finneon)

The games are still solid RPGs compared to their predecessors in every aspect, but the designs of the pokemon themselves are just pushing it too far lately. >_>

BTW, I stopped watching the anime regularly at the start of the Advance Generation saga, so no opinion from me in regards to that. XD

KnilShadowLink

#1 Arcanine Fanboy
    Years
    I know many people think that the 1st generation was the only good generation, but I think that after Master Quest ended it stopped being so amazing in my eyes...I stopped with the anime when Ash, Brock, May, and Max got to Rustboro City...I still buy the games, although I miss being 5 again, back when Pokemon Ruled the world...I had everything; all the games, the cards, the plushies, the underwear, the shirts, ect. *sighs*

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Hello.

I really don't think Pokémon has gone downhill. I still really love it.​

Years
    i think it went downhill after johto, i loved GSC and RBY, I dont see hoenn as good, i think its slightly dull, the same with sinnoh- some pokemon names got wierd....
    But i still get the games, and i dont actually mind the anime ...

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    No, I don't think it's gone downhill. I think the 2nd generation was the best, but it definitely had its problems. 4th gen would be after that, then 1st, then 3rd. But all generations have their pros and cons. And in terms of the structure of battling itself, it's definitely gotten much better. The first generation lacked special attack and defense, Dark and Steel types, genders, abilities, natures, held items, and the physical/special split. Going on that alone, it's gone uphill.

Genghoul

Composer & Aspiring ROM Hacker
    Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Oct 27, 2023
    I don't think the games have necessarily gone "downhill", but I do think with each passing generation they add so much that kind of takes away from our original Pokemon experiences. Like Charmageddon said, they've added a lot of features since the first gen and that may be good for some, but it really isn't the same for us retro gamers. It's arguable that it was better when is was simpler without breeding and EVs and what not because some people really just preferred the basics. I personally think its funny the games seem to get more child oriented as it goes along, yet they add all these complicated features that the average 7 year old will not understand.

Just my opinion on the matter.

michele

☮ & ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    i honestly can't wrap my head around how a lot of people think the sinnoh pokemon are terrible. the hoenn pokemon i can understand. but after that region, pokemon skyrocketded imo. and i've been a pokefan since the VERY beginning. and besides, if there wasn't change, pokemon would be so much more shittier than people are already claiming it to be. :\

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    i honestly can't wrap my head around how a lot of people think the sinnoh pokemon are terrible. the hoenn pokemon i can understand. but after that region, pokemon skyrocketded imo. and i've been a pokefan since the VERY beginning. and besides, if there wasn't change, pokemon would be so much more shittier than people are already claiming it to be. :\

PC's word filter fails. >_>

Also, not all of the sinnoh pokemon are bad perse, but there are very few great ones, a handful of bad ones, and the rest are...meh. Compare to GenI and GenII where most of them were great and memorable with a handful of meh, and only a couple of really bad ones, and GenIII where pretty much everything was meh...

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    I don't think they've gone downhill, actually. o.o; I've enjoyed the new Pokémon and new features that the games have brought. :s

Years
    I don't think the games went downhill. I still love the games.
    I stopped watching the anime after Johto. I hated the Hoenn anime >.<

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    It really depends on what you mean by going downhill.
    I actually prefer D/P/P over R/B/Y by a lot, for obvious reasons. However, the quality of the games did drop after G/S/C, the game closest to a game with a plot.
    They all have their ups and downs :/

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
    I work parttime retail as a college student and I have to say I disagree with it going downhill.

If ever it did go downhill (which it sort of did around Hoenn), it has taken a massive turn uphill.
    We sell pokemon cards and toys daily.

It's a huge franchise and it seems like it's going to stay that way for a long time, unless they really start screwing up.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    I work parttime retail as a college student and I have to say I disagree with it going downhill.

If ever it did go downhill (which it sort of did around Hoenn), it has taken a massive turn uphill.
    We sell pokemon cards and toys daily.

It's a huge franchise and it seems like it's going to stay that way for a long time, unless they really start screwing up.
    Yeah, I hear that often in retail, of how well pokemon cards have been selling. Same with D/P/P, for that matter.

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    the pokemon anime was killed after johto
    the games first showed signs of dying in R/S/E (mostly enjoyable game), but it croaked in D/P/Pltnm
    that'e why everyone is hoping for HG/SS to be Pokemons saving grace

Back