• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Where did MissingNO. get its awful reputation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2008
    well..

mew is the only pokemon in my hall of fame... but i dont have a mew!! i mean, i didnt when they started appearin

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    Well, c'mon! Mew giveaways for the GBC have happened in countries and events I currently don't have access to. The Mew Glitch is a great thing. It doesn't mess up your game like Missingno.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2008
    correction

correction jb.. it does mess up your game.. it messed up mine (the mew glkitch messed up my pokemon yellow version) because i battled my rival instead of the youngster, ran into a level 7 arcanine.. caught it.. now i cant get into my box 1

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • The Mew Glitch is a great thing. It doesn't mess up your game like Missingno.

This actually depends on what Pokemon you battle last. There is a potential of accessing glitch Pokemon far more dangerous than Missingno.

And in any case, the glitch is typically used to get Pokemon you could possibly get through trading or in the game. While, yes, many people encounter Missingno to increase their items count, some people also seek Missingno to capture it as a Pokemon, and the Missingno glitch is obviously the only way to do it. However, the Mew glitch's sole intent is to capture (any) Pokemon fairly easily.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    Well, I think the point is, if you're going to cheat at all, you're already cheating. Don't have double standards. If you catch MissingNo you might as well catch Mew while you're at it, but don't tell other people that one kind of cheating is better than the other, because in the end, cheating is cheating.

FYI, my stance is, if the cheating isn't something like resetting your clock to fix a time change you made starting the game in GSC, unlocking the GS Ball to catch celebi fairly (without a GS Ball), or catching MissingNO without cloning good items, it's a bad cheat. Basically, if you make the game any easier for yourself, like getting 128 master balls, and not cheating to expand the game, you're a bad cheater. But that's just my opinion.

Rainfall

~Solitude
    Years
  • Missingno does cause a lot of corruption in the game, and that's probably why people are so afraid of them. I caught Missingno and didn't have many problems with it, but my friend actually got his game completely crashed by it. I'm not sure whether or not he was telling the truth in telling me it was Missingno, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, so now I avoid catching them.

GiantGroudon

I doubled myself now
    Years
  • aah..... This thread brings back memories..... missingno, idontknow rare candies, and yeah, I foun another glitch related to virdian man. do the same like in the missingno. glitch. when you are in cinnabar, surf up and bump the rock as so long until a pokemon appears. It will be a mewto. I know this sounds stupid, but i tried it serveral times, and when I was bumping the rock, mewto came more often. when I was'nt bumping the rock, I got only some mewtos (I tried it 15 minutes each, just to get sure. Tested on a german blue cartridge)

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    I know a lot about glitches... and from what I've heard, Bird Type might not be a beta name. As Cooltrainer is a type, does no one think it might be possible the Bird Type is like that because of the trainers that are called 'BIRD KEEPERS'.

Also, graphic problems are EASILY fixed, just look at the stats of a normal non-glitch Pokémon. They will, however, glitch up if you look at another glitch's stats, but you can just look at a normal Pokémon stats again.

And GiantGroundon, what over-level-100 Pokémon you get is based on the 3rd, 5th or 7thslot in your name, so most people don't find Mewtwo's in the place, and bumping in the the block (I think) does nothind, and you were just getting lucky, pure (lucky) coincidence.

Last edited:

Maria Santos

*wink* enjoy your death! ^_^
    Years
  • The Hall of fame messup is annoying, but who can pass up more than 100 copies of masterballs and rare candies?

I have caught missingno and M many times to see what effects they would have with the game. Its all like you say though, corrupt HoF, messed up sprites, Etc.

And you can also pull off Rhydons and Kangaskhans with sky attack, which of course i transer to PKMN stadium 1/2 and gold and silver.

Buh

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2014
    If you used the name ANDREW, you got an infinite supply of level 141 Mewtwos and level 128 Snorlaxes. Win!

There were also some very, very bizarre things. Using the name ZECH!!! results in wild encounters with Cooltrainers (both genders). Their teams always consisted of Nidorans, Charmanders and glitch sprites (not Missigno, a different assortment of random pixels). The mon were around level 25 but they only seemed to have weak attacks like Scratch.

Does anyone know of any other names that produced weirdness like that?

Blaziken_Boy

Back for now
    Years
  • Someone could probably do an epic ROMhack maneuver to make MissingNO. have a sprite.

My cousin caught one and we looked at the Hall of fame. One of the pokemon was GARY*randomcharacters*_TRAINER, and on every page was the word PECK.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    aah..... This thread brings back memories..... missingno, idontknow rare candies, and yeah, I foun another glitch related to virdian man. do the same like in the missingno. glitch. when you are in cinnabar, surf up and bump the rock as so long until a pokemon appears. It will be a mewto. I know this sounds stupid, but i tried it serveral times, and when I was bumping the rock, mewto came more often. when I was'nt bumping the rock, I got only some mewtos (I tried it 15 minutes each, just to get sure. Tested on a german blue cartridge)
    Don't revive threads over a month old, let alone threads that haven't had a reply for over a month.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back