• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Where do I begin?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    I've been taking some looks around on the forums and honestly this is all pretty overwhelming. I know I may come off as being lazy here but I did put some effort into finding out what I need to do.

I've never hacked before. Period. I'm going to be looking for recommendations on tools and such that I need to learn in order to work on my first project. I'm going to start small and work my way up to it.

What I basically want to do is make a game that essentially FR/LG with more bells and whistles. What I'll be looking to do is:

- Add a Day/Night Cycle
    - Make changes to the map like: After defeating the elite four having Celadon have a new building
    - Include encounters for all Pokemon made up to Gen III
    - Make locations in the vein of Trainer Tower

The ???

The one true question mark
    Years
  • To BEGIN. First of all.
    Get THEM tools!
    - Download Advanced Map 1.92 (I prefer this version over 1.95beta) (Google for Link)
    - Download Gen III Hacking Suite (G3HS) https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=320113
    - Download XSE Latest version (Google for Link) (Search Xtreme Script editor)

That's all the tools you would need if you don't want to do much.
    Rest you really need to look the Tutorials for these tools.
    There are some patches available for Day/Night system, you have to look in tutorial section.
    You can edit wild pokemons and scripts (what happens when you step in a certain spot/what happens when you talk to someone) with Advanced Map.
    Keep backups :)
    Good luck!

Years
  • - DNS
    - Advance Map 1.95 use this to edit maps (I'm pretty sure only 1.95 is compatible with DNS)
    - Use Advance Map if you want to add encounters to a route
    - If you want to add new locations use Advance Map
    - I saw "The ???" beat me to the punch with XSE but he didn't leave a link to it. Honestly finding a trustworthy site to download it from is really hard so here is the most recent release of XSE.

Also I saw your intro thread and in it you said that ASM was not on your to do list to learn, but I highly recommend that you learn it. FBI agent's ASM Resource Thread gives you some very helpful links on the bottom of the OP to help you learn ASM. Plus learning ASM allows you to do things such as have infinite TMs in Firered or have roaming Pokémon. BTW all of this can be found with the link above.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    -
    - use this to edit maps (I'm pretty sure only 1.95 is compatible with DNS)
    - Use Advance Map if you want to add encounters to a route
    - If you want to add new locations use Advance Map
    - I saw "The ???" beat me to the punch with XSE but he didn't leave a link to it. Honestly finding a trustworthy site to download it from is really hard so is the most recent release of XSE.

Also I saw your intro thread and in it you said that ASM was not on your to do list to learn, but I highly recommend that you learn it. FBI agent's ASM Resource Thread gives you some very helpful links on the bottom of the OP to help you learn ASM. Plus learning ASM allows you to do things such as have infinite TMs in Firered or have roaming Pokémon. BTW all of this can be found with the link above.

After reading a bit about 1.95 I have to admit that it makes me uncomfortable using something that appears to be fairly buggy. Is it possible for me to patch in the Day/Night cycle and then ditch 1.95 for an alternative?

Years
  • After reading a bit about 1.95 I have to admit that it makes me uncomfortable using something that appears to be fairly buggy. Is it possible for me to patch in the Day/Night cycle and then ditch 1.95 for an alternative?
    Well you could try MEH which honestly is meh right now, but unlike Advance Map 1.95 it's still being worked on.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    Woah I'm necro-posting! Didn't see a rule against so apologies in advance if it is :/

I actually have time to do this now and I'm looking to do the following

- Introduce a day/night cycle
    I want this to be fully functional like Gold and R/S. Would I be better off hacking it into FireRed or Using Emerald as the base game and somehow just importing the entire Kanto region into it

- Make new locations/encounters/roaming Pokemon

This would include addint additional events from doing things like completing the E4 for example. Or lets say after completing a certain part of the game going back and being able to re-challenge gym leaders.

What tools do I need? What do I need to learn?

Thanks for the help!

Years
  • Woah I'm necro-posting! Didn't see a rule against so apologies in advance if it is :/

I actually have time to do this now and I'm looking to do the following

- Introduce a day/night cycle
    I want this to be fully functional like Gold and R/S. Would I be better off hacking it into FireRed or Using Emerald as the base game and somehow just importing the entire Kanto region into it

- Make new locations/encounters/roaming Pokemon

This would include addint additional events from doing things like completing the E4 for example. Or lets say after completing a certain part of the game going back and being able to re-challenge gym leaders.

What tools do I need? What do I need to learn?

Thanks for the help!
    For the Day/Night cycle you can use that tool someone linked you earlier. I don't know what he was talking about when it came to 1.95 only being compatible with Day/Night cycle, but that's wrong. 1.92 works better for most things because it's not buggy. Do you want to add Pokemon at different times of the day? There's something for that, but I need to find the post. Right now though, it's a little over your head, so I suggest learning how to do what's in my next paragraph first.

As for the rechallenging Gym Leaders and stuff, you should learn how to script. It's a little confusing if you've never coded before, but it's incredibly simple. If you have any questions, we have a scripting questions thread for that kind of thing.

Making new places relies on A-Map working right pretty much.

Here's a post on how to change the roamers.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    For the Day/Night cycle you can use that tool someone linked you earlier. I don't know what he was talking about when it came to 1.95 only being compatible with Day/Night cycle, but that's wrong. 1.92 works better for most things because it's not buggy. Do you want to add Pokemon at different times of the day? There's something for that, but I need to find the post. Right now though, it's a little over your head, so I suggest learning how to do what's in my next paragraph first.

As for the rechallenging Gym Leaders and stuff, you should learn how to script. It's a little confusing if you've never coded before, but it's incredibly simple. If you have any questions, we have a scripting questions thread for that kind of thing.

Making new places relies on A-Map working right pretty much.

Here's a post on how to change the roamers.

I plan on eventually changing what Pokemon appear to correspond with the time of day but I'll definitely start out small. I'll try learning to script as well... I appreciate your help!

Back