• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Where is Isshu?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    confirmed to be based on New York :D
    i'm glad it's somewhere i've actually been (and live near)

Hazeh

Pokemon Mastahhhhh~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2011
    While I'm a bit biased, I do think it fits better with NYC... I'll have to play the game to tell for sure though.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    It looks believable, but the magazine isn't out yet? D: I dunno, I'd like to believe it, but doubting. Though whenever we do get 100% confirmation, still thinking it'll be NY.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    It looks believable, but the magazine isn't out yet? D: I dunno, I'd like to believe it, but doubting. Though whenever we do get 100% confirmation, still thinking it'll be NY.

The user got it early. Archaic himself is in the process of fully translating the article - just to further confirm things.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ...ooh. Just a note, if this does turn out to be real, I'll probably leave this open for a day, just so can say your opinions, etc.

Plz be confirmed!

Hazeh

Pokemon Mastahhhhh~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2011
    Well, if it was in Shanghai it wouldn't be really far away from all the other regions, which Isshu is supposed to be, would it now?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    It looks believable, but the magazine isn't out yet? D: I dunno, I'd like to believe it, but doubting.
    Gin, who runs Sunyshore, is pretty trusted in the fandom, at least where I know her. So I'm taking this as official 100% confirmation.

While I was never one to be "It's NYC! Believe it or I hate you forever!" because this is Pokemon we're talking about, it's still nice to finally have confirmation. And I like the fact that the region is based on NYC, though I personally will forever see all of America in the geography of Isshu.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
    At least this ends some major flaming. IDK why but what if the pokemon league is at Madison Square Garden xD

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    Iwata Asks: Pokemon Black and White.

In a huge turn for the series, the setting his time around in "Pokémon Black・White" is overseas. The stage of this adventure is the "Isshu Region," which uses America's New York as its motif. A new adventure begins in this land known as the "racial melting pot," often referred to as "the center of the world."
    The buildings and interiors that show up on the screen are drawn in 3D CG, emphasizing the feeling of actually being there.

They also mention the Brooklyn Bridge as being the basis for the Sky Arrow Bridge. ;D

EDIT: The new Iwata Asks is up (in Japanese). Masuda again confirms that New York is the basis for Isshu. The name "Isshu" derives from the Sino-Japanese 一種, meaning "one kind." He further explains that, while America is clearly made up of all different kinds of people, when looked at from afar, even such a varied place appears to be "one kind"--emphasizing humanity as the constant thread, it seems.

Part 1: Making The Second Main Series Game on the DS
    Masuda says he always wanted to make 2 titles for the DS (Being Gens 4 and 5), especially because the DS is so popular worldwide. There were very aware that having a second title on DS could mean the games would feel the same, and have done their best to avoid that with these games.
    He realised ideas like "Go to a Pokemon Centre and trade" were fixed in his mind and did his best to break them down, because he's been working on the games since the start. They took this as an oppurtunity to re-evaluate rules and systems in the game.

They wanted to make the games more accessible to older players to lower the number of people who were "growing out" of Pokemon. Stuff like adding Kanji to make it easier to read.

The producer of the games (Iwahara (?)), was very happy when Masuda suggest all these radical changes to the games. He says even he had the idea that each generation of Pokemon games had to come out on a different system, but because of the DS's long life and popularity worldwide he was glad for the freedom that creating on the same platform gave them. Iwahara, who Iwata calls a 'veteran' of the series thought "Can it be changed that much? Can we really pull it off" when Masuda told him of the changes that he wanted.

Sugimori thought Masuda's suggestions were a bit crazy. When he was told all the Pokemon would be new he said "Gimme a break! Couldn't we lower the number a bit?" but Masuda refused to budge. Iwata comments that Masuda is stubborn, and Masuda agrees.

Part 2: The Brand New World of Pokemon
    Sugimori said he was resistant to Masuda's ideas, but also says that he knew Masuda was not mistaken. There were around 200 pages of planning sheets for new features, explaining exactly what crossing a bridge would mean, or how we'd show the player going into someone else's game world. They didn't do it with DP this way, in fact this is the first time they have. This was to do with all the new challenges they were facing with these games. Once again, they confirm that they used New York as a motif. This was primarily to fulfill the goal of giving these games a new feel, and also so he could have a concert there (like they do in Japan in the region where the games are based off, using music from the relevant games. Apparently), but it might be impossible this time. After deciding this they began deciding where to place towns etc. In doing so they visited the Museum of Modern Art.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Gin, who runs Sunyshore, is pretty trusted in the fandom, at least where I know her. So I'm taking this as official 100% confirmation.

Just wanted to be sure incase I set my hopes too high. XD

I like how Isshu is based entirely on one place, as opposed to multiple places, which would make Isshu seem less realistic, to me at least.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    I like how Isshu is based entirely on one place, as opposed to multiple places, which would make Isshu seem less realistic, to me at least.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if Isshu featured a variety of different cultures - New York itself a huge melting pot. We could be getting references to many other countries, which I think is simply awesome. :3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Well yeah, that too, which we've already seen in the footballers, etc. Just the locations being scattered around the world wouldn't be that good when it comes to being realistic (hopefully that makes sense).

...in conclusion, just glad it's based on NY, which was the most logical answer for me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back