• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Where is Isshu?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    The point isnt to prove others wrong, its too prove yourself right.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
  • I mean Shanghai looks more like it. :P Prove me wrong. But all the landmarks and things are there for NY. But Shanghai has the two rivers and the middle bit closer than New York. Prove me wrong by all means. Please.

Amusement Park:
    Spoiler:

Huin City:
    Spoiler:

Bridge:
    Spoiler:

Suburbs:
    Spoiler:

There are many similarities, so New York would be believable.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    If you're going to base it on the shape of the region, then it looks like a number of different places. Shanghai, New York, etc. If that's all you're going to take into account, then we have "Maybe Isshu is based on Shanghai or New York" and if that's all we have, then it's not set in stone that it's based either of those cities.

I had this long part typed up about how Shanghai actually represents the geographical shape of Isshu more than New York does. But I don't have 15 posts, to include links. Once I do have 15 posts, I'll put it up.

i died laughin when i saw under your name "village idiot"
    i couldnt put it better myself XD

anyone who thinks its shanghai, needs to look threw this ENTIRE thread, there is far MORE photographical proof its NYC

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • Well, After reading 14 pages of the most ridiculous argument ever, I think I can say without a doubt that Isshu takes features from both NYC and Shanghai, and possibly other locations.

However, Pokémon is fictional.
    It doesn't have to be an Exact match to a real life location.

My personal opinion is that it is a mesh of the two locations that have been discussed, and not just one location in particular.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Okay we got more proof of NYC in the new trailer on Filb.de

They showed a football play (Giants anyone?)
    And what looked like a black trainer (No trying to be racist)

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Yep. I would be on the safe side that these games are based on America. Thank you, good night.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Yeah, I dont think football is very popular in Japan... America people.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • And Battle Subway. And Baker (Cookies?) Yeah :) I've always loved America anyway. Though the location is New York, we must admit, the whole game has Shanghai, Sydney and what-not elements in it as well :)

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • And Battle Subway. And Baker (Cookies?) Yeah :) I've always loved America anyway. Though the location is New York, we must admit, the whole game has Shanghai, Sydney and what-not elements in it as well :)
    It's a football player not a soccer player -_-

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • N looks nothing like an Aussie at all. N is wearing a baseball cap. Baseball cap= New York which = Yankees. And why the hell would there be an american football player in China?!

Palantides

Village Idiot
    Years
  • i died laughin when i saw under your name "village idiot"
    i couldnt put it better myself XD

anyone who thinks its shanghai, needs to look threw this ENTIRE thread, there is far MORE photographical proof its NYC

You do realize it's a joke right?

Anyways, I have 15 posts now, so here's my write up that I wanted to add a few posts back.

If we're going on the basis of Shape, then you should look at this.

Spoiler:

Here we have an image of Shanghai superimposed over that of Isshu... Apart from the size of each image, it's extremely similar. Lake in the north, two rivers, the left one opening up wider than the right one, six bridges somewhat mountainous terrain on both sides. Two significant islands in the left bay, and then also the myriad of islands in the right bay.

Spoiler:

Now here is New York superimposed over Isshu. Similar, and yet not similar. There is a lake in the northern part, and the bridges match up. But the left river does not open up so wide, and the right one is not even a river at all, but the Long Island Sound, which goes into the Atlantic Ocean.

Spoiler:

Now I want to draw your attention to three places, one of which I mentioned before. The red circle is over Long Island, which goes significantly past the ferry harbour. Look at the point where Hiun city is on the Isshu map. The landmass to the right of Hiun city does not go further than Hiun city, which is the furthest point that we can make out on the map. See that green circle? There's more bridges there than on the Isshu Map, and I'm not even including the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Though it's not like Isshu would need that, seeing as the landmass that might represent Long Island does not go past Hiun city. Now see that yellow circle? look at how the mouth of it opens up on the Isshu map. It does not match in the same way that Shanghai matches to Isshu.

So if we're only going by the shape of the geography, then Isshu represents Shanghai more than it does New York.

Years
  • Lol I had to comment on this.
    Wow, just wow at the arguments. I guess we all must be expected to think the same thing huh?
    It's never been confirmed where the other regions are, so it'll never be confirmed where this one is. Speculation is fun until people begin to throw insults around and must always be correct.

Baseball isn't limited to only America. Sure it may have originated there, but don't go off spouting it's an only American thing.

I'm not denying there is a lot of "proof" that it is New York, but that doesn't mean it couldn't take ideas from other places.

Geeze, I'm an American and I feel embarassed reading most of the stuff on here because it makes us seem so elitist and like we have to absolutely have this region only be American and nothing else.

So what do I think?
    New York with Shangai influences.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Okay we got more proof of NYC in the new trailer on Filb.de

They showed a football play (Giants anyone?)
    And what looked like a black trainer (No trying to be racist)

1) American Football has been in Japan for over 70 years.
    2) Black people don't hail from New York (believe it or not).

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Because a fictional land would never base itself off of more than one area, say both NYC and Shanghai, as god forbid it.

N is wearing a baseball cap. Baseball cap= New York which = Yankees.

...*Throws down Red Sox cap.*

Years
  • 1) American Football has been in Japan for over 70 years.

True, but it's a big part of American culture and we are often stereotyped for it.

2) Black people don't hail from New York (believe it or not).
    No, this rude little remark did not make you sound smart, ignorant if anything. Really now, there are very few black people in the Shanghai are. The fact that they decide to have them in a game that's supposedly based of New York either supports the theory, or goes against the Shanghai one. You decide.

I find it amusing that most of the people supporting Shanghai are trying to bash NY theories, rather than support their own.

But hey, at least we'll stop getting the "Why is Game Freak Racist?" threads.

I also saw someone say that the Pokemon Musicals could reference Broadway. That's a bit out there, but it's still something I thought worth bringing up.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    No, this rude little remark did not make you sound smart, ignorant if anything. Really now, there are very few black people in the Shanghai are. The fact that they decide to have them in a game that's supposedly based of New York either supports the theory, or goes against the Shanghai one. You decide.

I find it amusing that most of the people supporting Shanghai are trying to bash NY theories, rather than support their own.

But hey, at least we'll stop getting the "Why is Game Freak Racist?" threads.

I also saw someone say that the Pokemon Musicals could reference Broadway. That's a bit out there, but it's still something I thought worth bringing up.

Believe it or not it's not rude at all to say that the majority of African people do not live in New York, and therefore the fact there is a black woman in the games has no relevance to NY at all.

Also I'm not supporting the Shanghai theory at all, you brought it up ><.

The musicals do point to Broadway in some sense, it's a much more certain fact than race anyway.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back