• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Where is Isshu?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Europe? Europe plays association football/soccer, so it's even more a shoe-in for America/NYC.

i said Europe cuz ive seen alot of schools playing football lately, not
    football-soccer lol

but its definitely NYC, if you think bout it, i know its central park,but doesnt the high link have a Madison Square Garden-fell to it? *shrugs* im probably other thinkin things

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Europe? Europe plays association football/soccer, so it's even more a shoe-in for America/NYC.

Yes, but their are "America Football" leagues in Europe. Theirs an Italian one, and a German one. Though, neither country fits the profile.

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    On top of Normal? Extremely unlikely. No one like the Normal/Non-Flying Pokemon as it is

Yams

Polursaring!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    That doesn't mean they cant add a new one that is likeable.

Years

• Nice job volroc, now lets get all the geographical proof together that we have gathered so far, the opposing theories should do the same :)
    This is a pretty darn good idea, I'll try to do that right now, then post it on the front page. This way people can see many of our arguments. And let's not get this thread closed, please. It's awful to see that so many flamewars have broken out during this thread's life. :(

Lol, this is probably my favorite thread on the entire forum. :P

EDIT:
    Arguments for NYC
    • Shaped like Isshu
    • High Link is located where Central Park should be
    • Pokemon like Wargle could reference America
    • Docks
    • A Pokemon Center (Now Nintendo World) use to be in New York
    • Routes restarting
    • Isshu being "far away"
    • Protagonists clothes
    • Amusement park may be a reference to Coney Island
    • The only way to get there from Japan is by boat or plane
    • SEREBII SAYS SO
    • The Liberty Ticket takes you to an island with a tower where Victini can be found, this could reference the Statue of Liberty
    • The emphasis of the letter "V" with Victini could reference this.
    • Bridges
    • The people on Pokemon Sunday who delivered the news of the starters are dressed like the people who deliver newspapers in NYC
    • People of varying nationalities
    • Subway
    • American Football Players
    • Pokemon Musicals could reference Broadway
    Arguments for Shanghai
    • Shaped like Isshu
    • Lakes match up
    • Mountains
    • Bridges match-up extremely well, better than NYC
    • More rural areas
    • Old vs. New could reference the contrast between nature and technology in China
    • Routes restarting
    • Isshu being "far away"
    • Subway

Did I catch em' all? :3

Last edited:

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • - America is the only country that plays American Football, thus the gear we wear for this sport is only here in America.

- Game Freak picked now to make an American Pokemon. Wooguru/Wargle is Red, White, and Blue and is a Bald Eagle. Both are symbols of America. He is also wearing a Native American Headdress, which points to the heritage of the country of America.

- Victini's name is a cross between Tini and Victory. He is found by using the Liberty Ticket. He is also showing the peace scene, also known as the victory sign.

- When Pokemon Sunday showed off the starters the three people doing it were dressed in special outfits. They were dressed like old New York paperboys.
    Spoiler:

- America is farther away than Shanghai in comparison to Japan.

- Three new pokemon were shown all at the same time and they had something relatively strange in common. They were all disney-like. We got Alvin, Bambi and a Disney Swan. You may deny it but Disney is a big part of the American culture.

- America has been referenced in games before and part of America has been used for the Orre region (Arizona). I am pretty sure China hasn't been a base for any regions yet.

- China is communist and would freak out if Game Freak didn't represent them as positively as possible. Any negativity would get the games banned.

- There is a Royal/Medieval theme going on for the plots of Black and White. This means that an evil team is trying to institute a Royal system on the people of Isshu. This is most likely a reference to when Great Britain tried to do the same to the people of America a hundred or so years ago.

- Having Black people in the games sort of helps the New York theory because there are almost no Black people in Japan.

- Shanghai is Triangular shaped. New York is not and neither is Isshu.

- New York fits on to Isshu more so than Shanghai.
    Spoiler:

Zet

Years
  • This is a pretty darn good idea, I'll try to do that right now, then post it on the front page. This way people can see many of our arguments. And let's not get this thread closed, please. It's awful to see that so many flamewars have broken out during this thread's life. :(

Lol, this is probably my favorite thread on the entire forum. :P

EDIT:
    Arguments for NYC
    • Shaped like Isshu
    • High Link is located where Central Park should be
    • Pokemon like Wargle could reference America
    • Docks
    • A Pokemon Center (Now Nintendo World) use to be in New York
    • Routes restarting
    • Isshu being "far away"
    • Protagonists clothes
    • Amusement park may be a reference to Coney Island
    • SEREBII SAYS SO
    • The Liberty Ticket takes you to an island with a tower where Victini can be found, this could reference the Statue of Liberty
    • The emphasis of the letter "V" with Victini could reference this.
    • Bridges
    • The people on Pokemon Sunday who delivered the news of the starters are dressed like the people who deliver newspapers in NYC
    • People of different nationalities
    • Subway
    • American Football Players
    • Pokemon Musicals could reference Broadway
    Arguments for Shanghai
    • Shaped like Isshu
    • Lakes match up
    • Mountains
    • Bridges match-up extremely well, better than NYC
    • More rural areas
    • Old vs. New could reference the contrast between nature and technology in China
    • Routes restarting
    • Isshu being "far away"

Did I catch em' all? :3
    Musicals/Broadways shows are everywhere.

- America is the only country that plays American Football, thus the gear we wear for this sport is only here in America.

- Game Freak picked now to make an American Pokemon. Wooguru/Wargle is Red, White, and Blue and is a Bald Eagle. Both are symbols of America. He is also wearing a Native American Headdress, which points to the heritage of the country of America.

- Victini's name is a cross between Tini and Victory. He is found by using the Liberty Ticket. He is also showing the peace scene, also known as the victory sign.

- When Pokemon Sunday showed off the starters the three people doing it were dressed in special outfits. They were dressed like old New York paperboys.
    Spoiler:

- America is farther away than Shanghai in comparison to Japan.

- Three new pokemon were shown all at the same time and they had something relatively strange in common. They were all disney-like. We got Alvin, Bambi and a Disney Swan. You may deny it but Disney is a big part of the American culture.

- America has been referenced in games before and part of America has been used for the Orre region (Arizona). I am pretty sure China hasn't been a base for any regions yet.

- China is communist and would freak out if Game Freak didn't represent them as positively as possible. Any negativity would get the games banned.

- There is a Royal/Medieval theme going on for the plots of Black and White. This means that an evil team is trying to institute a Royal system on the people of Isshu. This is most likely a reference to when Great Britain tried to do the same to the people of America a hundred or so years ago.

- Having Black people in the games sort of helps the New York theory because there are almost no Black people in Japan.

- Shanghai is Triangular shaped. New York is not and neither is Isshu.

- New York fits on to Isshu more so than Shanghai.
    Spoiler:
    Those "paperboy" clothes come from England and were a sign of someone in low poverty class.

Years
  • Musicals/Broadways shows are everywhere.
    Personally, I believe the fact that (if you take that statement literally) they are actually not everywhere and that they could reference Broadway is at the very least worth noting. I don't really support evidence like this, the Pigeons, and the Deers too much, but we don't all think the same way.

EDIT: I just realized that I should probably throw Subways, Musicals, etc. in the Shanghai category as well.

Palantides

Village Idiot
    Years
  • Reposting this for the sake of ending this useless football chat.

For the hundredth time: Architecture, nor any other characteristic of the land, not limited to the appearance of people, types of resident Pokemon, items, landmarks, or structures, are relevant to the discussion. This discussion is 100% based on the shape of the region itself. The location of the cities may be of importance to the reference (as seen in prior generations), though it is unlikely now to have any conclusive evidence. Moreover, the landmass we know now is merely concept art and does not reflect any real-life forms as far as the little research we have done can conclude.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Wait, you can't even say that, since your whole argument is based on dissimilarities with New York. Shanghai isn't even the right shape. It's a triangle. If you argue that New York's shape isn't right, then neither is Shanghai's and the only thing we can conclude is that it's NEITHER. That's right. Neither. Now, I'm fine with it being neither of them, but basing your argument on the fact that it could possibly be one of two things and that if it's not one, then it has to be the other is faulty. In addition, your argument greatly fails in and of itself.

And for your information, the East River is NOT the Long Island Sound. It's a strait that runs FROM the Long Island Sound into the Atlantic Ocean.

The shape of it geographically is significantly closer to that of Shanghai than of New York's. And if you're going to say that it's not the right shape, then Sinnoh and Hoenn are not the right shape to match Hokkaido and Kyushu respectively. The fact remains, that they are close enough in shape to be based on each other.

What I am saying however, is that the region is based on a myriad of places. It is not strictly Shanghai, it is not strictly New York, it's not strictly based off of any one place.

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    The shape of it geographically is significantly closer to that of Shanghai than of New York's. And if you're going to say that it's not the right shape, then Sinnoh and Hoenn are not the right shape to match Hokkaido and Kyushu respectively. The fact remains, that they are close enough in shape to be based on each other.

What I am saying however, is that the region is based on a myriad of places. It is not strictly Shanghai, it is not strictly New York, it's not strictly based off of any one place.

FOOTBALL PLAYER

And Hokkaido and Sinnoh, while not the exact same (obviously) are EXTREMELY similar

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back