• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Where is Isshu?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
Years
  • All this evidence won't prove anything. We will never know where Isshu is until a person who helped on the map designs or something like that tells us.

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years
  • All this evidence won't prove anything. We will never know where Isshu is until a person who helped on the map designs or something like that tells us.

Haha this isnt like you rockman, giving up like this XD jk
    Anyways no1 is ever gonna tell us anything, they didnt before. I think GF employees are actually forbidden to say these things, or even reference it, as you can see no1 ever either from gamefreak or anywhere else ever referenced anything about regions being somewhere, the only proofs we can get are from games.

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
  • Haha this isnt like you rockman, giving up like this XD jk
    Anyways no1 is ever gonna tell us anything, they didnt before. I think GF employees are actually forbidden to say these things, or even reference it, as you can see no1 ever either from gamefreak or anywhere else ever referenced anything about regions being somewhere, the only proofs we can get are from games.
    We could in a way care less about what other peoplew think (even thought we know its in shanghai)as it will vener be revealed.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Yes Nick you can say it is Shanghai for yourself but not for everyone since we will never know for sure where it is. I just think it is a mixture of NYC and Shanghai (Due to the liberty tower)

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    Mixing the two would fit the name of the games...China and the USA are Black and WHite in terms of culture and way of life but in the end the two balance each other out. So Its a chinese landscape with a American like society

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • If it is Shanghai then why on earth would the Liberty Garden Tower be there. Liberty and Garden come from 2 very popular places in NYC, The Statue of Liberty and Madison Square Garden.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    Notice what I said...a mix. I believe its just a mix of the two and I agree with the liberty island being a part of the NYC side of things theory

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
  • If it is Shanghai then why on earth would the Liberty Garden Tower be there. Liberty and Garden come from 2 very popular places in NYC, The Statue of Liberty and Madison Square Garden.

Easy, Game Freaks biggest and most used cop-out (that people use):

Creative License

missingnoresearcher

I like your bedsheets
    Years
  • Arguments for Shanghai
    • Shaped like Isshu, and the right peninsula matches up better
    • It has mountains, which there are several of in Isshu
    • Bridges match-up extremely well, better than NYC
    • More rural areas than NYC, which it has in common with Isshu
    • Old vs. New could reference the contrast between nature and technology in China
    • Pokemon Musicals could reference Chinese Opera
    • The speculated Yin-Yang theme of the game could point towards Shanghai, since China is the home for that. Reshiram and Zekrom are known as the Yin and Yang Pokemon
    • One could argue that the Pokemon are based on Chinese animals. Apparently Shikijika is found in the grassy areas near a river in Isshu. There is a water deer in Shanghai that is found around the river Yangtze, the one on the right. So that would point out that Shikijia could represent Shanghai water deer. Wargle could be a Chinese eagle, and Pigeons are also plentiful in Shanghai. Kurumiru is the 'sewing' Pokemon, silkworms (found in Asia) are well known for producing silk. China also has crocodiles (Meguroko. Note that the real-life crocodiles are located along the lower Yangtze river, which flows right through the desert of Isshu, which is where Meguroko is found.) and flying squirrels (Emonga). China also has a well known lake called Korla Swan Lake, where, as the name suggests, there are many swans (Swanna). The Chinese Zodiac includes Monkeys (Yanappu) pigs (Pokabu), and snakes (Smugleaf/Tsutarja). Munna and Musharna are the "Dream eating pokemon" The traditional Japanese nightmare-devouring baku originates from Chinese folklore.
    • Hihidaruma is based of the daruma doll, which is representation of Bodhidharma, which is the founder of Chinese martial arts, and zen Buddhism, which, would show Hihidaruma is an Asian Pokemon.
    • Shippou City is named after a Buddhist term for the "Seven Precious Treasures," so it would be a connection to Buddhism. Buddhism is mostly worshiped through Asia, and is a major religion in China.
    • There's a giant lake in the middle of Isshu. It's in the exact same spot as Taihu lake in China, and it also has an island in it. Yeshan island is located inside the lake in China..
    • Quindaohu lake is also on the same spot as another lake in Isshu, which is located above the windmills that are shown on the map.
    • Isshu has a large desert in the area above Hiuin city, neither NYC or Shanghai have deserts there, but china is famous for having 2 of the worlds biggest deserts, Gobi and Takla-makan.
    • The government has moved almost all factories within downtown to either outskirts of Shanghai or the neighboring Jiangsu and Zhejiang Province in the last two decades. This could be referenced to the abandoned factory in the woods that we saw in the prerelease pictures.
    • In China there is a city named Suzhou known for being built on water and having the world's 3rd largest Ferris wheel. There is a city in Isshu built on water with a Ferris wheel in the exact location. Suzhou is also famous for it's music and opera. If Pokemon musical's take place there that would be further evidence pointing towards Shanghai.
    • "Hiun" can be written in Kanji to mean "Cloud flying through the sky", a reference to Son Goku and the "Journey to the West", one of the most famous books in china.
    • Isshu is the Japanese reading of the kanji used for the old name of a province of China back in the Tang dynasty.
    • Zoroark, the evil fox Pokemon is most likely based on a huli jing, a Chinese spirit fox, which can change its appearance. More to this is that movie Zoroark is female, and huli jing foxes were mostly females.
    • The Shanghai area also has windmills in its rural areas like Isshu in its upper part. It's important to note that China is currently the world's second producer of wind energy, and it is soon to be number one as it is growing its production.
    • If Mamanbou turns out to be a Luvdisc evolution, that would be a minor hint towards Shanghai, since Shanghai is closer to Hoenn than NYC so it would make sense for it to be in this region.
    • The Shanghai region is the same size as every other Pokemon region and NYC is literally 1/6th the size of Kanto.
    • One could say that Iris (A girl in Isshu) is Chinese, because her character design is a very common stereotype used in a large variety of anime for Chinese girl, like clothing with very wide open sleeves, and her hair is shaped in 2 pon-pons which represents Chinese girls (Remember the character in street fighter, Chun-Li? )
    • The lighthouse in Isshu is located the same place in Shanghai
    • The Pudong District does look like Isshu's left penisula.
    • Isshu's (一生) Chinese's meanings "one life", thus I'm sure in Kanji it should be the same. It could refer to the remote life of Isshu's people from the other regions.
    • There's a martial arts robe featured as an accessory in Pokemon Musical, and China is known as the home of martial arts.

You can delete the Pudong District one.
    The Pudong District is the left area of Shanghai. <3
    However, I suppose the Pudong Airport is pretty near where the airport in Isshu.

A bit of a problem with the Zoroark. 狐狸精 (Hu Li Jing) aren't always 100% bad. In fact, some are good spirits.

Notice the sacred temple in the top of the moutain in the north?
    That could be Changzhou.
    See, Changzhou is famous for its old temples left from a ancient civilization.
    Also, Changzhou are famous for its archaeological ruin.

One last thing, Hiun city's right brigde connects to Chongming Xian (umm...county of Chongming). There's a famous national park there (forest). Walking out of the forest, there appears to be some kind of farm. That could be Nantong, famous for its cotton and textile industries due to its location by the Changjiang (yangzte) river.

Here's a wild shot of a theory.
    BW will have text swap from hiragana/katakana to kanji.
    Maybe that's catering to China?
    I mean, people have played Pokemon fine before without Kanji.

Last edited:

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
  • You can delete the Pudong District one.
    However, I suppose the Pudong Airport is pretty near where the airport in Isshu.

A bit of a problem with the Zoroark. 狐狸精 (Hu Li Jing) aren't always 100% bad. In fact, some are good spirits.

That could be Changzhou.

One last thing, Hiun city's right brigde connects to Chongming Xian (umm...county of Chongming). There's a famous national park there (forest). Walking out of the forest, there appears to be some kind of farm. That could be Nantong, famous for its cotton and textile industries due to its location by the Changjiang (yangzte) river.

It could be, but GF have already said that the kanji/hiragana swap system is to increase their target audience of people who will play (making it older) but what if they did have alterior motives as you point out........
    GF, what else have you been hiding from us........

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • i think NYC because it looks like it has most of the features in Isshu is the same and wooguru is an eagle resembling NYC or actually the whole U.S.

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years

That could be Changzhou.

Hehe, that kanji theory sounds interesting.
    Lolz other people coming up with theories, tch whats going on, im rusting.
    Btw, i also mentioned taht there is an airport in pudong, if that thing in isshu is an airport.
    However I never mentioned anything about pudong :/ so you cant blame me for that clue :P
    And still the greatest detectives reputation lives on. :D

p.s. If those farms are famous for cotton and textile industries maybe they put kurumiru in there :3

i think NYC because it looks like it has most of the features in Isshu is the same and wooguru is an eagle resembling NYC or actually the whole U.S.

:S what features? We currently know only of liberty island, which btw if it is held on that island with a lighthouse, it would mean it doesnt represent liberty tower.

Last edited:

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years

That could be Changzhou.

YEs. That was one of the things i thought about, maybe they have plans to start distributing pokemon i china, and bases Isshu on china to celebrate the many millions their gonna earn.

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years

Why do you think madison square garden would be a connection to victinys event?

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • Hehe, that kanji theory sounds interesting.
    Lolz other people coming up with theories, tch whats going on, im rusting.
    Btw, i also mentioned taht there is an airport in pudong, if that thing in isshu is an airport.
    However I never mentioned anything about pudong :/ so you cant blame me for that clue :P
    And still the greatest detectives reputation lives on. :D

p.s. If those farms are famous for cotton and textile industries maybe they put kurumiru in there :3

:S what features? We currently know only of liberty island, which btw if it is held on that island with a lighthouse, it would mean it doesnt represent liberty tower.
    ehh im still not so sure what it really is all i kno is that high link sort of looks like central park kinda...
    im very confused which one is Isshu now...

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years

• YEs. That was one of the things i thought about, maybe they have plans to start distributing pokemon i china, and bases Isshu on china to celebrate the many millions their gonna earn.
    xD unless Hu Jintao forbades pokemon in china. But then team plasma will free the pokemon from evil Hu Jintao ;D (jk i dont think hu jintao is evil)
    Maybe team plasma is american group of people going to china and trying to release pokemon :D and they fashion suits americans more then chinese xD

ehh im still not so sure what it really is all i kno is that high link sort of looks like central park kinda...
    im very confused which one is Isshu now...

Doesnt high link look more like that lake in isshu and the island in the middle :S the only connection to cetnral park it that it has a pond in there.

Last edited:

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
    The name might resemble, but that really doesen prove anything, maybe liberty ticket as some deeper meaning in the storyline.

Chub 777

Golden User
    Years
  • Wait, wait. If it's Shanghai, it's close to real life Hoenn. It would probrably have non-native Pokemon in Isshu's Regional Dex. If it was NYC, it wouldn't have any non-natives.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back