• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which anti-virus is the best one?

XaRhS

So,i had this perplexity and i just wanted to know what do you guys think.I'm currently using AVG Free,but i'm about to buy a new laptop soon,so i may want to install another one to the new PC for a change.Suggestions and answers.

Zet

Years
    free: avast or avira free, I recommend avira free if you're going to use different anti sypware and malware programs to scan for them since avira free only scans for viruses, while avast scans for viruses, malware and spyware but consumes a lot of the computer's resources

thanks to Psychometric. for informing me that avira free 9 does scans for spyware
    https://www.free-av.com/en/pages/6/comparative_chart.html

if you're going to buy: I recommend buying avira premium or nod 32

edit: forgot to mention AVG is known to miss viruses from time to time more than other free anti-viruses

Last edited:

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    I used to use AVG heavily, but I don't like how it no longer updates properly.

I use Avira and I like its interface and it does a decent job.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I use Windows Live One Care,not much people like it,but it seems great for my computer.

Cheesymitten

Dukcs
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2015
    If you want to pay i'd recommend getting panda anti-virus it's really safe...

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    I'd suggest either AVG free or Avira if you want to go the free route, but if you're going to pay I'd recommend Norton 2009 (not anything 2008 and before, those are memory hogs. 2009 is not)

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I would have to say Grisoft's AVG Anti-Virus free. It's never failed me yet, after 8 years of using it.

~Mooshykris

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    Norton AV (NOT the suites, like NIS, 360, etc.) 2006 through the current 2009.. so far for me, 2008 was the best overall in performance and usability.. 2009's GUI changes are still too strange to me as is the 'idle scan' not sure how well its doing as compared to 2008's. but I'll still recommend over ANY free AV and over all paid ones as well.

Last edited:
    Years
    Well since my parents are willing to pay after a particular incident, we'd just stuck with Norton since 2003. ^_^

But eh the Official free ones such as AVG and Avast are good as well. Don't forget Spybot S&D though. =P And obviously get a firewall other than the crappy one-way firewall Windows has in XP.

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
    I would hang on to AVG Free. It doesn't clog your computer's tubes as far as memory is concerned and has been more reliable to me than any other anti-virus suite I have ever used. Where the latest and most recently updated version of Norton never detects an infection, AVG does.

Years
    I've used Norton in the past and will never set foot down that road again. I am currently using AVG 8, although I am seriously considering changing to Nod32, which, Zet, is actually free.

It is very important to research your Anti-virus before using it, though as there are some on the net that actually carry Spyware, etc.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    Either AVG free or Nod 32. But I prefer Nod 32, its fast and gets the job done. Blocks out all those unwanted adware and spyware.... With those No$GBA downloads I've been planning, it really is a must.

XaRhS

Hmm....most of you support avast! or Nod32.As i have heard,Nod32 is a professional anti-virus,so i may give it a try.;)

Empire

Lurking since 2008
    Years
    For a free Anti-Virus then get AVG Free.

For a paid one (And the one I'm using) NOD32 V3 Buisiness Edition is quite good, i have not had a virus since and it does not slow your computer much at all.

Take this as a warning: WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT GET NORTON! I've tried it. And it didn't catch nothing and my comp was running really slow for a 3.20 GHZ processor.
    Norton = Bad.

Back