• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which card game is better?

Which TCG is better?

• Dual Masters

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Pokemon TCG

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Yu-Gi-Oh

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Magic the Gathering

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Sports Cards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

JakeEMan

Official American Idiot
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2008
    Which Trading Card Game do you think is the best?

Bakura

what is delicious
    Years
    I'd have to say Yu-Gi-Oh... The only other one that may contend with it I think is Magic, but I've never played that (Collecting one TCG is enough for me, thanks ^^). So I vote for Yu-Gi-Oh! :P

B-Baller

My ballin' is br00tal
    Years
    It's more of a personal preference, really. Asking me and other members of this board which card game is better is like asking if we prefer red or blue more. It's a personal thing, so play all of them (casually, like I've done) and see which one suits you.

For me, I'm voting for Duel Masters (dang, everyone spells that wrong every time). It's stereotyped as a "kiddy game for people who aren't ready for Magic" but I can confidently say that isn't true. DM is an exciting game, and even though gameplay might seem simple the first time you play it, you'll realise that the meta is much more advanced. Second, you don't need ultra-rare cards to be a champion, the best decks are made of the simple cards (such as Phal Eega decks).Third, no ban lists, though that might change soon because of the controversy around Bombazar.

And that pretty much justifies my opinion. Winning decks atm are Phal Control, Survivors, Red/green rush (Gonta/Wind Axe), and Transmogrify/Bombazar.

If DM doesn't fit your tastes, the second TCG I'm suggesting is Magic the Gathering. It's more for preteens like me to adults, so yeah. It's got cool art, cool gameplay and cool players. LOL.

Bakura

what is delicious
    Years
    True. I'd probably be into Magic too really, I'm just not interested in collecting more than 1 TCG, and I had already started on YGO anyway, so... :P
    But yeah, it's more a personal preference question than anythin ^^ I'm not really interested in DM, but I wouldn't recommend against it. It just depends on what appeals to you.

Mullet

Banned
    Years
    Bart-kun said:
    For me, I'm voting for Duel Masters (dang, everyone spells that wrong every time). It's stereotyped as a "kiddy game for people who aren't ready for Magic" but I can confidently say that isn't true. DM is an exciting game, and even though gameplay might seem simple the first time you play it, you'll realise that the meta is much more advanced. Second, you don't need ultra-rare cards to be a champion, the best decks are made of the simple cards (such as Phal Eega decks).Third, no ban lists, though that might change soon because of the controversy around Bombazar.

Yeah DM isn't a "kiddie Magic" even though having played both games being decent at Magic and very acomplished at DM (in fact I was invited to the last two Continentals an I am going to the one comming up in June.) I do know that Magic is much more complicated game. Some Magic players while still enjoy Magic more have picked DM up (after watching a few people play) as a fun game.

As for me YGO is my favorite game, DM and Magic are close seconds.

Years
    Personally I enjoy 3 card games all at once.

1) Calorie Kids : I like this one because it is funny.
    2) Vampire/Jyhad : The gameplay is good, and lots of people play where I live.
    3) Magic the Gathering : So many cards to choose from and so much strategy, I can hardly contain myself.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Personally, i'd go Magic: The Gathering, i haven't played DM yet, and i rather suck at Yugioh. Usually all non-magic tournaments i go to, i tend to watch, mainly to pick up strategies, and such (honestly IMO, the best way i can play a CG is to "steal" strategies)

I actually do plan to play DM or Marvel VS at least once before i die

Magic: The Gathering - Personally my favorite, there are new abilities with each set, and i love it. Obviously this is completely biased. XD
    Zatch Bell - now this is a unique game. Whoever hits the end first loses.
    Yugioh - Obviously one of the more popular ones now. Also unique with no mana system.
    Pokemon - Also rather unique, though i fell out of this later.

JakeEMan

Official American Idiot
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2008
    I've liked Yu-Gi-Oh for about a month now! When it first came out, i liked it, stopped playing, got back into it, stopped playing again, and now, im back into it! But personally, ive liked the Pokemon TCG scence i was 5!

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    My Favourite Is Yu-gi-oh I Have Played This Since It First Came Out Been To Some Tournaments And Won 3 Out Of 10.
    I Payed Dm For A Bit But Prefered To Watch It Rather Than Play It.

$H-GAGE$

Jumeraat hai aja!!!
    Years
    my fav shall be DM.<<i voted for it.

as bart-kun sad i say the same reasons. Its not the kind of pkmn its short but interesting. and not complecated. and u dont only need the high powered, evolution cards... the best can also be the ones which dont hav good power but special abilities.

on second i guess its pokemon. :(

~Humza

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I'd have to say Duel Masters. Bart-kun pretty much summed up the reasons for why I like DM.

Sure I enjoy YGO, but for some reason I never got into it the same way I got into DM.

I can't say for sure, though, as I have never played against a real opponent, just an AI.

B-Baller

My ballin' is br00tal
    Years
    Yay, I like summing up stuff. XD

The third TCG I'd like to suggest (which I totally forgot about since I had to go to school) is Raw Deal, the official TCG of the WWE. It's not that complex, just a bit. And if you like wrestling (like me, Smackdown or Raw) then you'll like this game.

MegaDitto

Windsor ™
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2013
    Yu-gi-oh >Magic the Gathering>Vs System>Duel Masters . Pokemon TCG is undecided.

Yugioh is the game I play often. I know the basics of Magic, VS System and Duel Masters. Where I'm from Yugioh and VS Systems is played more here. I seen each game in action and they have their own unique ways to play. A underrated game though is the Zach Bell games which is not bad at all but I haven't learned most of the game. x_x

I do intend to play more TCG's outside of Yu-gi-oh. Magic a bit more since I have some of the cards. Vs System as a beginnier of the beginner. Duel Masters I may play more but I'm not sure on that. A TCG if it comes to America....Hecabomob.

*scoffs Digi* You don't suck at yu-gi-oh.

Rayquaaza

The trainer of Dark Pokemon
    Years
    Have always considered the cards as Pokemons too elementary as game tactics, as Yu-gy-oh!! Instead the Magic cards, even if suitable for boys above the 13 years, are more articulate. Even if playing with them is more difficult, the player can widely put the cards together as he wants, without ties. Therefore I would choose these

Mullet

Banned
    Years
    Haji said:
    Yu-gi-oh >Magic the Gathering>Vs System>Duel Masters . Pokemon TCG is undecided.

Yugioh is the game I play often. I know the basics of Magic, VS System and Duel Masters. Where I'm from Yugioh and VS Systems is played more here. I seen each game in action and they have their own unique ways to play. A underrated game though is the Zach Bell games which is not bad at all but I haven't learned most of the game. x_x

I do intend to play more TCG's outside of Yu-gi-oh. Magic a bit more since I have some of the cards. Vs System as a beginnier of the beginner. Duel Masters I may play more but I'm not sure on that. A TCG if it comes to America....Hecabomob.

*scoffs Digi* You don't suck at yu-gi-oh.

I didn't know you played VS Zai. I like DM better than VS to be honest. That might be a bit biased though because I'm good at DM and have been invited to the last two Nationals.

Last edited:

B-Baller

My ballin' is br00tal
    Years
    Haji said:
    A TCG if it comes to America....Hecabomob.

You must mean Hecatomb. Yes, it's a great game, having played it casually but unfortunately WotC has cancelled making Heca cards. Blanket of Lies is the last set of cards to be made. If he still wants to play it he can, but he may not find a wide enough card pool.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I vote for Yugioh. Because its the only one that I've ever actually bothered playing.
    Well...I use to collect Pokemon cards, but I never battled unless it was just little messing-around battles with my friends....which had no rules. Xp

Back