• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which game should I get out of these

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2021
    Hey guys, I'm getting a Pokémon game real soon and I've picked a couple that I think I might like. Emerald, Diamond, Heart Gold, Platinum, Fire Red and Black 2 or White 2

Which do you think I should get in terms of how many legendaries there are, how much story there is and how much gameplay there is in each one

Disclaimer: Forgot to mention I've already played Omega Ruby and Black!

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    How many can you get?

I'd cross Diamond off the list though, Platinum is basically a better version of it.

pkmin3033

The story is basically the same in every game from Emerald onwards, so you can cross that off your list as a factor really. You're going to get exactly the same story experience from everything on that list not Fire Red or HeartGold. If you want a story-driven experience then you definitely should not be buying a core Pokemon title, haha.

HeartGold is the best in terms of content - you get an entire region to explore for the postgame - but Platinum is very good, and I think it has the largest number of Legendaries you can catch in-game? Off the top of my head. Platinum also has a very nice Battle Frontier. If you're going to insist on story (although I can't imagine why) then you can't really get Black/White 2 because they're sequels, but the Pokemon World Tournament is lots of fun and they're not quite as dismal as their predecessors.

If you buy Pokemon Dream Radar as well you can have Legendaries in your party from the get-go too, and if you can even just borrow copies of the DS titles you can also get their box mascots (Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Lugia, and Ho-Oh) in your game too. But if you can get your hands on an event Arceus you can have a level 1 Dialga, Palkia, or Giratina in your party from after the first Gym...and they'll follow you around. It's very cool having a Giratina follow you around.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    Emerald is a personal favourite of mine. Can't believe you can go wrong with that. Recently just finished Platinum and now playing Black 2.
    I must say I loved Platinum but Black 2 feels even more special. I'd say either Emerald or Black 2/ White 2.

Years
    I'd probably choose Platinum or HeartGold, those are the two games you'd get the most in terms of content out of - and really good content at that. Emerald and FireRed are also good shouts and two of my favourite Pokemon games, but I think without the nostalgia factor the first two suggestions would be the best!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Honestly, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire or X/Y would be the best for someone starting the series. You don't even have to know the type chart to get through these games as they keep you so over leveled, you can do fine without much knowledge. Other than that, Fire Red is good for learning as it's only the basic pool of original Pokemon.

I'd actually be wary of Platinum or HeartGold. Fantastic games, but very slow paced. It would be sad to see someone try to get into the series and get turned off by the pacing. If you don't mind slow paced JRPG's then it's nothing to worry about. But those two games are also very much "Sink or Swim", as these games keep a pretty consistent challenge by standards of the series. If I were introducing someone I would probably avoid these unless they were familiar. (Which you very well could be, though it wasn't mentioned in the post).

Someone mentioned all stories being the same from Emerald onward, but no not really. Sun/Moon are the most different, as it almost completely revolves around story/cutscenes. Since you mentioned wanting Legendary Pokemon, Ultra Sun/Moon have the most available.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    Honestly, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire or X/Y would be the best for someone starting the series. You don't even have to know the type chart to get through these games as they keep you so over leveled, you can do fine without much knowledge. Other than that, Fire Red is good for learning as it's only the basic pool of original Pokemon.

This is a good shout actually. X/Y feels extremely accessible.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2021
    Sorry guys should've mentioned I've already played through Omega Ruby and Black!

Back