• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Generation Had the Worst Pokemon Designs Overall?

Which Generation Had the Worst Pokemon Designs Overall?

• Total voters

billi1000

The Ruler of Darkness - Zekrom
Years
    • Seen May 22, 2014
    i really found the 4th generation abit of pathethic especially with some pokemon looking extremely rediculous, i mean just loke at probopass, it looks like a giant slab of rock with a classic cartoon disguise :P, but i ll have to say the 3rd generation because it really dissappointed me considering how better looking the previous gens were, and the 4th gen looked better overall than the 3rd

LugiaFreak

Years
  • I'd probably go with Generation Four, mainly because of Magmortar, Electrivire, Probopass, etc. etc... Although it also had a lot of very good designs, too. Weavile is amazing. <3

parkwater

Getting serious about battling
    Years
    • tn
    • Seen Nov 21, 2013
    i think by pic gen 1 but by pokemon them selfs gen 3 if thats the hoenn and jhoto is the most over looked but thats my opion b/c i've watched pokemon since the very 1st episode of gen 1 but take a an 8 or 10 yr old who never saw the 1st gen there opion would be different

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • I agree that later generations are bordering on the ridiculous with their character design, but quite a lot of generation I had failings...

Look through Gen I and see how many evolutions are just 3 of the basic Pokemon. Weezing... Magneton... Dugtrio... Dodrio...

Every generation has its good and bad points. It just depends on how good or bad they are. (IMO Hoenn and Jhoto had some of the best)

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • Yeeaahhh, I'm going with Generation the First myself. They were too plain overall. I mean, don't get me wrong, stuff like Mewtwo and Charizard were great, but:
    Pidgey.
    Magikarp.
    Nidoran.
    Weedle.
    Rattata.
    -_-"

And I don't think every one in all the newer generations were super duper, either. Probopass, and need I say more?

I mean, if you were looking at 1stGen replacing 4thGen, you probably would not be impressed. I look at it like this:

Overall (and remember that word), if Generation A was released at the same time as generation B, would you still like most of the Pokemon in A more than most of the Pokemon in Generation B?

Though, it's all kinda paradoxical if you take into account that had we started with generation 3 or 2 or whatever, this following generations would probably be completely different than what we have now.

As for what I liked, the designs of Generations 2 and 3 were best (2 was kind of convincing to me somehow, and I liked the vibrant, uh, vibe 3 had), followed by 4, followed by 1, in terms of creativity and design.

This. This exactly. If Generation 1 and 4 switched places it'd come under so much fire, in truth pokemon has become way more original over time.

I'm assuming sarcasm? They don't look cool at all. It looks like a Mighteyena/Lucario/Zangoose hodgepodge.

"Hey lets take out the creativity and put this into a game, k"

Also, the prevo isn't even that cute.

I'm curious as to what you define as creative? Muk? Ponyta? Exeggutor? Voltorb? Mewtwo (Seriously I love it but Arceus is critisized for being a god yet this thing is a clone!?)

As for my own opinion, most pokemon from most generation don't really intrigue me all that much. There isn't really one that I dislike but there's only a small number of ones I really love. I'd have to say the most (by generation) are in generation IV. I love pokemon as a whole and love the one's I'm not a huge fan of just for being there. Hyena's are ugly but there valuable members of the African ecosystem, they have their place just as all pokemon do.

Kendall

Fool of a Took
    Years
  • I would say Gen IV. It had a lot of down right uggos. It did have some cool ones though. Gen I doesnt count because of graphics limitations. Gen II was a bit lacking but had a lot of good designs. Gen III has my all-time favorite pokemon. I think they had by far the best designs, probably because of their uniqueness. But I just love the pokemon from Hoenn.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2013
    I agree. What really bugs me is that they no longer pay attention to anatomy. Look at Pidgey and Kingler, then look at Starly and Crawdaunt, you'll see what I mean. There is almost no attention to bones, muscles, paws, wings, and other details you'd find on real-life animals. Pokemon have practically no angles in their entire bodies now. This is why Pokemon now look robotic.
    Agreed, and know with Koroak (I think) he looks like something out of Digimon.

Cheyanne

I have Yusei Fudo's Zorua.
    Years
  • As for me, I think that Hoenn Generation had the worst pokemon design, : p

Finally, I thought I'd never hear anyone say it.

But seriously, all generations have the worse and the best designs, there are Pokemon you love and hate from each generation...can you really deny that? It's impossible to make every Pokemon likeable to every single person. Everyone is going to have their own tastes and their own opinions spilling in. And unless anyone here could do any better/IS DOING any better (gotta' company?) then why are you guys complaining? Nintendo tries to appeal to many different kinds of people, not just one or two kinds, be reasonable >.>

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I guess it would be Hoenn, though it i my favorite Region, it stepped out of the classic feel a bit.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Generation 3, excluding Azurill/Torchic, but overall didn't like most of them. And, generation 4, excluding... Pachirisu. Most of the others were just ugly and looked weird and I didn't like them ;;

Generation 1/2 ftw <3

Nashton

A Trainer Of Great Skill.
    Years
  • its gen four hands down

to those that said gen one

they must not have been then since the beginning

Doogle3097

Hola.
    Years
  • Last year I would've said Gen. 2, but since then I've come to really like them, so I'm going with Gen. 3 as too many of them are just...ugh IMO.

CrazyCubone

isn't very crazy.
    Years
  • In my opinion Gen I and II were great, and it went a bit downhill from there. I love the simplicity of some of the designs in Gen I and II, but the introduction of new evolutions for old Pokémon in Gen IV was awful. :[

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Why is Generation 2 doing so well?! It's Pokemon were hideos, I can barely look at them, which is one of the main reasons I'm not getting HGSS, I mean seriously, those things suck, well when they're evolved anyway (starters) and my are some of those Pokemon just horrible. Why do people slam G4 anyway, it's the BEST in my opinion.

Generation 4.
    The starters were repulsive.

What?! 0_9 They were the darn CUTEST starters I've EVER seen, especially compared to Gen IIs, okay Gen 2 starters weren't that bad, it was when they evolved that made me squirm. Okay then compared to Gen1 Starters, they're ANGELS! Okay maybe no comparing but them being the cutest was the FIRST thing I pointed out to my Friend when I saw them.

Gen IV destroyed the world of Pokemon as it was before. Now it's like Neopets. NEOMON.
    Ah neopets, the reason I'm temporarily hanging around here. My Account got Frozen (hopefully temporarily) so I got back into Pokemon. It won't last though :P But YES! Gen 4 Do look like Neopets, maybe that's why it's my Favourite Gen of Pokemon :o

Last edited:

~Frozen Darkness~

It's watching you...
    Years
  • *Prepares for the mob*

I'm going to say Gen 1. Graphical limitations? That's a bunch of baloney, since the game had 255 slots for Pokemon, and glitch Pokemon had multiple colors and such.

Some Gen. 1 Pokemon were good, however, such as Charizard, Mewtwo, Magikarp, Gyarados, and Zapdos. However, Mr. Mime is....eww...

Gen. 2 had good Pokemon overall.

Gen. 3 had some pretty amazing designs, such as Grovyle, Gardevoir, Lati@s, and Deoxys.

Gen. 4 had some pros and cons, it had good ones such as Bidoof and Arceus, as well as Palkia, but there were also things like Purugly(well, it has ugly in its name though), Magmortar, and Hippopotas.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I wasn't very wild about generation 3 Pokemon. Some were good, but... Most of them were horrible. I found that I liked about 7 or 8 Pokemon overall in that game. Just enough to give me a good team.

Back