• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which is better:Windows XP or Windows Vista?

XP or Vista?

• Total voters

.Seth

.explorer.
Years
  • Vista is sluggish and unstable . XP is loads better .. But Vista has better graphics . So I use VistaXP .
    How much ram does the Vista computer have? If it's not at least 2.5GB (2560MB, if I'm right), it will go slow. It's definitely not unstable. Most problems I've had with my Vista laptop were due to hardware.

Also, you don't know about the windows registry's corruption rate, do you? Vista corrupts a lot slower than XP.

Years
  • If you like Eye Candy and Somewhat better security, go with Vista Home Premium or above.
    If you like something simpler and more pixelated, go with XP.

Although, I'd go with Vista.
    Pixelated? If you're refering to fonts, then XP has a better font rendering engine than it shows as default. Cleartype is usually disabled in new installations, but it's simple to turn on and can be turned up or down.

I'd still suggest waiting for 7, but Vista is okay. The bugs have been ironed out with the service packs.

Cornelius

Video Game Addict
    Years
  • How much ram does the Vista computer have? If it's not at least 2.5GB (2560MB, if I'm right), it will go slow. It's definitely not unstable. Most problems I've had with my Vista laptop were due to hardware.

I couldn't say what the average Vista computer's Ram Memory is, but my computer has 52.1 GBs of memory to it, and with everything I have on it, there's only 16 GBs of memory left.

I never had a XP (I skipped from a 2000 to a Vista), and since I can't really say which is better, I just say Vista. I hear people complain about how Vista worries too much about security, but you know what: when they get a virus because their computer didn't warn them, they can't say that Vista couldn't have prevent that (most likely unrealistic, but it's bound to happen).

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I say XP because it runs quicker on PCs that aren't that great, however besides that I would have to pick Vista. Vista is (a little) more secure than XP and looks nice. However, I change the way my OS looks anyway.. : 3

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
  • Pixelated? If you're refering to fonts, then XP has a better font rendering engine than it shows as default. Cleartype is usually disabled in new installations, but it's simple to turn on and can be turned up or down.

I'd still suggest waiting for 7, but Vista is okay. The bugs have been ironed out with the service packs.
    Pixelated as in it's taskbar and main graphics, not just fonts. I admit, it's fonts look wonderful, it's overall graphics (folder icons, taskbar, start menu) look very low reso compared to vista.

I couldn't say what the average Vista computer's Ram Memory is, but my computer has 52.1 GBs of memory to it, and with everything I have on it, there's only 16 GBs of memory left.

I never had a XP (I skipped from a 2000 to a Vista), and since I can't really say which is better, I just say Vista. I hear people complain about how Vista worries too much about security, but you know what: when they get a virus because their computer didn't warn them, they can't say that Vista couldn't have prevent that (most likely unrealistic, but it's bound to happen).
    That's hard drive space. :\
    Control Panel - System and Maintenance - "See how much Ram your computer has"

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I couldn't say what the average Vista computer's Ram Memory is, but my computer has 52.1 GBs of memory to it, and with everything I have on it, there's only 16 GBs of memory left.

Wrong kind of memory. She was referring to the Random Access Memory, or RAM, not hard disk drive storage space. Most computers have between 0.5 GB and 8 GB of RAM.

And I'd guess you're not using an anti-virus program. You may want to get Avast! or Avira.

Last edited:

Napalm

Careful! That Stuff Burns!
    Years
  • XP, I always think the simpler the better. Though, I use Ubuntu heaps more now, in fact, I RARELY use XP. Windows 7 however, looks really good, I got it free with my PC User magazine, so I might as well try it out.

pressedlee

Dark-Souled Hacker
    Years
  • I choose XP simply because I have never had a computer that could run Vista without self-imploding. If I had more money, that would not be a problem...

What is a sixteen-year-old that cannot find a job to do? :nervous:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I choose XP simply because I have never had a computer that could run Vista without self-imploding. If I had more money, that would not be a problem...

What is a sixteen-year-old that cannot find a job to do? :nervous:
    Off-topic: Volunteer work. And document it. Get contact numbers, names, etc. You can write them down as references when you seek employment. You're much more likely to get hired if you have something you can write down under that "history" section. Very effective if you're seeking part-time employment or something. Slightly less effective in a job that requires a degree, but it's still better than having nothing.

Once you have enough money, try CyberPower's configurators. You can get a spectacular computer for about $800. May as well get Windows 7 while you're there, now that it's coming out.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2022
    Well, Vista for graphics, XP For performance, compatibility, and overall (at least with 896 MB Ram). I say XP is better as long it doesn't have SP3 (Stupid Pack 3), otherwise I would say same.

Years
  • XP for me. Never had any problems, it's super quick, stable, none of the applications from vista have any use for me. The graphics side isn't important either, can easily download various themes to mimic Vista.
    For gaming & drivers, XP will be my OS. Only until they stop supporting XP will i migrate to Windows 7.
    I don't really need more than 4 gb of RAM either..

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • For those saying vista won't run on older machines.

I was using vista basic on a machine with 512 mb ram, and a 3.2 ghz single core, and 64 mb vid card. It ran with no problems.

But that aside i don't like vista. Not very stable compared to xp.

So Xp all the way until win 7 comes out (That is... unless win 7 proves to be worse then vista)

Anyway that aside whats the reqs for win 7? If my computer can support it (Or if the upgrades are cheap enough) i might upgrade to win 7.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Not being very technically-minded, I can't really tell the difference between XP and Vista. I'll just go with Vista because it has that cool flickbooky window viewer thing.

You probably facepalmed after reading that.

Back