• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which is the Most Authentic Way to Pick a Starter?

What's the most authentic way to choose a starter?

• Pick which draws you in at the start.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Pick based on what they become later.

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2017
    On a Pokemon adventure, which do you think is the most authentic way to pick your starter? Is it choosing based on their 1st form & proceeding on the journey? Is it to research & pick based on their final forms?

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I usually pick by their final evolutions, and I judge what I like by their design (and not much by stats/types). I pick water types most of the time because I almost always like the final evolutions of water starters, and they're just super strong. Only exceptions to this are Cyndaquil over Totodile (my first starter) and Rowlet over Popplio (Rowlet's design is so cute, I almost wanted to not evolve it).

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • Final evolutions. I can put up with something I don't like if I know it's going to evolve into something awesome soon. But I won't commit to something that I like in its base/second form when I know it's going to evolve into an abomination eventually. And I wouldn't stop it from evolving because I like my Pokémon to be as strong as they possibly can be.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • What they look like at the start. A beginner trainer is unlikely to know what their starter evolves into. When I play a game for the first time I choose the first stage starter I like the design of the most. Indeed in most gens (Except Gen 7) I had no idea what the starters evolved into.

My first Starter Picks

Gen 1 - Squirtle
    Gen 2 - Totodile
    Gen 3 - Treecko
    Gen 4 - Piplup
    Gen 5 - Oshawott
    Gen 6 - Fennekin
    Gen 7 - Popplio

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I picked the poll option "Pick based on what they become later." but after seeing LilyGardy's answer, I do agree with her. I'd rather pick based on what they look like, and then be surprised - but after seeing a spoiler before Sun & Moon and seeing Incineroar, I decided to not pick Litten (my favourite starter ever) because of this fugly evolution.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • It doesn't matter. I just pick the Fire-type my first time around whether it's my favourite or not. And it's only been my favourite in 1st and 3rd Gen. I liked Fennekin over Froakie initially so it was probably my favourite at the time, but that has since changed.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Generally based on how they'll do against the first Gym. I tend to catch Pokémon for my team quite sparingly and often don't have a second team member by the time I reach the first Gym, so my starter's effectiveness is important.

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • I always choose the one with the coolest/cutest final evolution. I'm all about aesthetics when making my team.

Years
  • I choose based off a combination of type + design, but if the starter's design is irritably adorable, then I'll usually pick solely based off of that. xD

Years
  • I usually tend to pick based on if I like the final evolution or not. That has usually been a factor with me choosing ones like Mudkip, Oshawott, Froakie and Popplio. However, my picks in D/P/Pt and HG/SS (Chimchar and Cyndaquil) were based mainly on effectiveness.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Well, I usually go for what design appeals me the mosly based on the Starters.

There are my first picks for each Gen:-

Gen 1 - Bulbasaur
    Gen 2 - Cyndaquil
    Gen 3 - Mudkip
    Gen 4 - Chimchar
    Gen 5 - Oshawott

Not played the 3DS Versions, but I'd probably have picked Fennekin/Chespin for Gen VI (although I don't really like any of the three) & Litten for Gen VII.

Pika Pika :chu:

Back