• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which is the worst Pokémon anime series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detective Benny

One truth prevails
Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    Atleast its much better then the trash called ''Best Wishs'' !

If Best Wishes! is trash, then XY is ♥♥♥♥.

At least Ash didn't had to get his ass-kicked by A Rookie twice and get insult by him just because he's the first rival he met !
    Or At least he didn't turn into incompetent idiot in name rebooting.
    Or His Pokemon is getting some form of training rather then just having cute Adventure.
    Or At least Ash get to keep some of his past competence.
    Or At least Ash isn't being treat like a crap in name of rebooting.
    You have no right to say Ash treated fairly after the Unova League crap.
    All the other thing you mention , Happened in every series !
    BW series series mainly based upon cartoon like ''Dragon Tail'' , ''Bunny The Dinosaur'' Or ''My Little Pony'' .

And at least he didn't get beat by a newly caught Pokemon... wait, that was XY.
    He becomes incompetent in XY and Sinnoh too.
    Training happens off screen.
    Is that why he lost to a Karpador (Magikarp) in D&P?
    If you think Ash was treated fairly in D&P, just look at the Ash vs Paul battle where Paul only loses 2 Pokemon. And in XY all they did was glorify him.
    Many people love MLP (not me though), so saying BW is like MLP can be a compliment. Also, I'd say XY is like watching Teletubbies.

I hated every episode I have seen of BW. I have seen only about 20 filler episodes but I didn't like any of them. I still feel like there is way too much monotony in the series. The same thing every season.

You're judging an entire series based on 20 FILLER episodes?

1. Best Wishes was, without any doubt (other than possibly XY), the absolute worst series, period, from what I could gather. They had to shatter continuity, make Ash into a complete idiot, even more than in prior series, Team Rocket, despite being upgraded from wimps, still wasn't handled right, they had Ash not only lose the league, but actually decrease in rank for whatever reason, and they gave him the Team Rocket treatment with Trip. Yes, people can argue about Paul, but at least he actually did have three regions worth of experience on his belt and actually did know what he was doing. Trip was a rookie and really shouldn't have been able to beat Ash that easily. Their inclusion of Dawn was also completely random, as she literally had no reason to be in the region. Misty at least already didn't like having to run the gym and left at the first opportunity and wanted to meet up with Ash anyways, and at least May had a specific trans-regional ribbon to aim for as an excuse for her appearing in Sinnoh.

How did they "shatter" continuity? And Ash has had moments of complete idiocy in every other series, I can provide examples if you want.
    Aside from their downgrade in DA, how were TR "not handled right"?
    Paul had regions of experience, but we didn't know that from the start. And then he didn't go through the OI or beat the BF.
    Did you not see what happened to Pikachu before his battle with Diaz (Trip)?
    Misty had a reason to be in Hoenn, but what did she contribute aside from releasing her Togetic?

Years
  • Honestly I gave up after hoen it's obvious the show needs to develop the character or create a totally diff. Show that is more mature. It also be the voice character changes I really loved the original and got used to it they are obviously aiming for little kids but man I notice all the changes and how kitty the show became.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    If Best Wishes! is trash, then XY is ♥♥♥♥.

Training happens off screen.

Many people love MLP (not me though), so saying BW is like MLP can be a compliment. Also, I'd say XY is like watching Teletubbies.

How did they "shatter" continuity? And Ash has had moments of complete idiocy in every other series, I can provide examples if you want.

Ash also shown be very smart during Original series but his Ego and inexperience got in the way.
    Ash wasn't inexperienced or egoistic in Unova So Why the hack he even more incompetent then before .

And at least he didn't get beat by a newly caught Pokemon... wait, that was XY.
    Let see , May be You're forgetting that the Trainer was Clemont who is a EXPERIENCE Gym Leader and Pikachu didn't lose to him !
    The match was unfinished with Pikachu overwhelming it .

He becomes incompetent in XY and Sinnoh too.
    For time to time , I met some smart guy who act like they watch the whole series just by looking at episode pictures .
    CAUSE ASH WASN'T INCOMPETENT IN SINNOH OR XY ! HE'S WAS MORE COMPETENT THERE.

Is that why he lost to a Karpador (Magikarp) in D&P?
    HMMMMMM , May be you miss the fact that it was WORLD STRONGEST MAGIKARP raise by a strong trainer who wanted to prove magikarp can be strong without evolving.

If you think Ash was treated fairly in D&P, just look at the Ash vs Paul battle where Paul only loses 2 Pokemon. And in XY all they did was glorify him.
    Hmmmm , May be you haven't know that Paul was experienced trainer who used better tactic to overwhelm Ash RATHER THEN DEPENDING ON OBVIOUS PLOT AMOUR like Trip & Cameron.

Paul had regions of experience, but we didn't know that from the start. And then he didn't go through the OI or beat the BF.
    Paul admitted to going to other region before Sinnoh.
    FYI : It pretty much proved the OI and Battle Frontier are waste of time since trainer who didn't bother with it become stronger .
    Like Gary , He trained while Ash was in OI and he become stronger then Ash.

You're judging an entire series based on 20 FILLER episodes?
    NO , I'm jubging an entire series based on every single episode of the series .

Aside from their downgrade in DA, how were TR "not handled right"?
    BECAUSE JESSIE AND JAMES ARE GOOD PEOPLE TRYING TO BE BAD .
    Their Inner goodness is shown in various part of Original series.
    Jessie , James & Mewoth wasn't suppose to be your serious villain ! They are suppose to be primary villain who also maintain a complicated friendship with the Protagonist.

Like Sgt Keroro.
    Keroro squad's goal is to take over the earth and they always try to do it but their plan get ruined by the MC ! Afterward they all eat dinner together.
    THATS TYPE OF VILLAIN JESSIE , JAMES AND MEOWTH ARE !

Did you not see what happened to Pikachu before his battle with Diaz (Trip)?
    And what happen to Pikachu afterward .
    Did Zekrem took all Ash's experience that it took 3 defect in a row for Ash to get one little victory against a Rookie !

Detective Benny

One truth prevails
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    Ash also shown be very smart during Original series but his Ego and inexperience got in the way.
    Ash wasn't inexperienced or egoistic in Unova So Why the hack he even more incompetent then before .

Ash was never all that smart, remember in early AG when he tried to capture Geckarbor (Treecko) without weakening it? Maike (May even called him out on it.

Let see , May be You're forgetting that the Trainer was Clemont who is a EXPERIENCE Gym Leader and Pikachu didn't lose to him !
    The match was unfinished with Pikachu overwhelming it .

Yeah, but it was a newly caught Pokemon he was using, Pikachu shouldn't have even STRUGGLED.

For time to time , I met some smart guy who act like they watch the whole series just by looking at episode pictures .
    CAUSE ASH WASN'T INCOMPETENT IN SINNOH OR XY ! HE'S WAS MORE COMPETENT THERE.

I don't look at episode previews or even pictures, I watch the episodes.
    Try explaining why he lost 2-6 against Paul, he shouldn't have lost that badly.

HMMMMMM , May be you miss the fact that it was WORLD STRONGEST MAGIKARP raise by a strong trainer who wanted to prove magikarp can be strong without evolving.

It's the world's strongest Karpador, but it's still a Karpador. His Pikachu should not have gotten its ass kicked.

Hmmmm , May be you haven't know that Paul was experienced trainer who used better tactic to overwhelm Ash RATHER THEN DEPENDING ON OBVIOUS PLOT AMOUR like Trip & Cameron.

Paul did have "plot armor" though.

Paul admitted to going to other region before Sinnoh.

Yeah but at the time we didn't know that, so the first battle made no sense.

FYI : It pretty much proved the OI and Battle Frontier are waste of time since trainer who didn't bother with it become stronger .
    Like Gary , He trained while Ash was in OI and he become stronger then Ash.

Where exactly was this said?

NO , I'm jubging an entire series based on every single episode of the series .

This question was directed at someone else.

BECAUSE JESSIE AND JAMES ARE GOOD PEOPLE TRYING TO BE BAD .
    Their Inner goodness is shown in various part of Original series.
    Jessie , James & Mewoth wasn't suppose to be your serious villain ! They are suppose to be primary villain who also maintain a complicated friendship with the Protagonist.

Like Sgt Keroro.
    Keroro squad's goal is to take over the earth and they always try to do it but their plan get ruined by the MC ! Afterward they all eat dinner together.
    THATS TYPE OF VILLAIN JESSIE , JAMES AND MEOWTH ARE !

They should still provide some sort of conflict if they're going to be in the antagonist role, which they didn't in Johto, AG, D&P, and now XY.

And what happen to Pikachu afterward .
    Did Zekrem took all Ash's experience that it took 3 defect in a row for Ash to get one little victory against a Rookie !

Pikachu got tired out each time Ash commanded an electric attack, which was 2-3 times, if I recall correctly.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    ^You're adorable

I had numerous problems with BW, more so than any other generation of the anime. I still give it some slack though, because of the major changes between the first and second games. I guess I'll just list what I didn't like so you can quote me easier.

1. Ash has never been the smartest, no denying that, but BW turned him into more of an imbecile more than anything else. Sure, he was more lively, but did they really have to make him act that foolish?

2. Iris and Cilan. Sure, Cilan was a nice addition after DP Brock, but his food puns lost their luster for me about halfway through. Not a big deal though. Iris, however, I found irritating. Her constant berating(some was merited) and her signature annoyance "you're such a kid" and other variations combined with her english voice actress didn't sit well with me. This was made worse when she turned around and acted like a "kid". Even though I wasn't a fan of either, that was probably the worst goodbye for companions so far, even worse than Ash and Brock's at the end of DP. Ash literally shipped Iris and Cilan off on a train. Talk about emotionless.

3. Trip was a terrible rival. Writers trying to catch lightning in a bottle, eh? Paul 2.0 was such a failure. He was literally a beginning trainer, but he had a bigger ego than Gary or Ash when they started. Then, this "rivalry" that they built up can't even be manifested at the league, which was particularly troubling for me, especially after all that work.

Some general stuff

4. This series had some of the worst battles. I'm thinking Ash v. Elesa, Ash v. Roxie, and Ash v. Trip 1. Seriously, rewatch them and try telling me those were okay. Ash v. Trip was really terrible, and honestly set the tone of the series for me in terms of battle quality. I don't care if the rat couldn't use electric attacks, iron tail and quick attack work too. You don't go through four previous regions and then lose to a beginning trainer who just walked out with his first pokemon. And Trip's first snivy that happened to know leaf storm.. *shudders*

5. This was without a doubt the worst league that has ever been done in pokemon. It felt rushed, Ash v. Cameron made me want to throw my remote at the TV, and really didn't feel like the pinnacle of the series. And Virgil winning was the biggest Eevee propaganda.

6. Cameron gets his own section because of the amount of hate I have for him. Tobias was bad plot device, but this kid... It's okay for a kid to be not all there in the head, but Cameron literally broke the rules by only having 7 badges, and was an idiot on top of that. So really, imbecile Ash got beaten by a kid who really shouldn't have been there in the first place. Good job, writers.

7. Team plasma was abysmal. This is where I give that slack. I know that the reworked plot in BW2 really screwed up the way they could have ideally been handled. But really, giving them their own dedicated arc really seemed like the writers threw them in because they felt obliged.

8. Decolore Arc was the biggest waste of time. It really was the definition of filler hell. Really, nearly 30 episodes of straight filler that accomplished nothing other than transitioning into gen VI. Seriously, I could have done with 30 episodes worth of filler distributed throughout the entire series, rather than just spamming fillers at the end because why not.

And just so we're clear, the rat didn't struggle against Clemont. It was more caught off guard by the unusual properties of an unfamiliar pokemon, but it clearly overcame that and could've won had TRio not interfered.

Detective Benny

One truth prevails
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    1. Ash has never been the smartest, no denying that, but BW turned him into more of an imbecile more than anything else. Sure, he was more lively, but did they really have to make him act that foolish?

2. Iris and Cilan. Sure, Cilan was a nice addition after DP Brock, but his food puns lost their luster for me about halfway through. Not a big deal though. Iris, however, I found irritating. Her constant berating(some was merited) and her signature annoyance "you're such a kid" and other variations combined with her english voice actress didn't sit well with me. This was made worse when she turned around and acted like a "kid". Even though I wasn't a fan of either, that was probably the worst goodbye for companions so far, even worse than Ash and Brock's at the end of DP. Ash literally shipped Iris and Cilan off on a train. Talk about emotionless.

3. Trip was a terrible rival. Writers trying to catch lightning in a bottle, eh? Paul 2.0 was such a failure. He was literally a beginning trainer, but he had a bigger ego than Gary or Ash when they started. Then, this "rivalry" that they built up can't even be manifested at the league, which was particularly troubling for me, especially after all that work.

Some general stuff

4. This series had some of the worst battles. I'm thinking Ash v. Elesa, Ash v. Roxie, and Ash v. Trip 1. Seriously, rewatch them and try telling me those were okay. Ash v. Trip was really terrible, and honestly set the tone of the series for me in terms of battle quality. I don't care if the rat couldn't use electric attacks, iron tail and quick attack work too. You don't go through four previous regions and then lose to a beginning trainer who just walked out with his first pokemon. And Trip's first snivy that happened to know leaf storm.. *shudders*

5. This was without a doubt the worst league that has ever been done in pokemon. It felt rushed, Ash v. Cameron made me want to throw my remote at the TV, and really didn't feel like the pinnacle of the series. And Virgil winning was the biggest Eevee propaganda.

6. Cameron gets his own section because of the amount of hate I have for him. Tobias was bad plot device, but this kid... It's okay for a kid to be not all there in the head, but Cameron literally broke the rules by only having 7 badges, and was an idiot on top of that. So really, imbecile Ash got beaten by a kid who really shouldn't have been there in the first place. Good job, writers.

7. Team plasma was abysmal. This is where I give that slack. I know that the reworked plot in BW2 really screwed up the way they could have ideally been handled. But really, giving them their own dedicated arc really seemed like the writers threw them in because they felt obliged.

8. Decolore Arc was the biggest waste of time. It really was the definition of filler hell. Really, nearly 30 episodes of straight filler that accomplished nothing other than transitioning into gen VI. Seriously, I could have done with 30 episodes worth of filler distributed throughout the entire series, rather than just spamming fillers at the end because why not.

And just so we're clear, the rat didn't struggle against Clemont. It was more caught off guard by the unusual properties of an unfamiliar pokemon, but it clearly overcame that and could've won had TRio not interfered.

#1: (DP) Did they have to make Ash look directly at Damhirplex (Stantler) RIGHT AFTER consulting the Pokedex about the hypnotic powers of its horns? This wasn't the first time, either. If that's not stupid I don't know what is.
    (AG) He tries to catch a Geckarbor (Treecko) without weakening it as stated before.
    (XY) Even though he fought on ice fields at least once every region, he has so much trouble with this one, and I'm not even going to start on the over-dramatic scene that followed it.

#2: What about Lucia's (Dawn) constant NO NEED TO WORRY? Or Misty being reduced to pulling Rocko's ear with some not-witty remark to accompany it? I don't watch the English dub so I can't really talk about voices, but I DO have this to say: Have you listened to Mauzi's (Meowth) current voice (any language)? Or Rocko's in D&P? Or Gary's? It was hypocritical humor. I thought the goodbye was okay with the only problem being that they wanted to go to Kanto, but then announced they were heading to other regions. I didn't like any of the other goodbyes in the series, so there's that.

#3: Diaz (Trip) wasn't the best rival for Ash, but he was a great character, especially after his backstory was revealed. I thought Paul was an awful rival because he had near no character, he was just all of the GS Rival's worst traits rolled into one.

#4: I'd agree, but I also don't much care for battles. That being said, Ash has tried out certain attacks on Pokemon that wouldn't be affected many times in the past. Why does it matter what moves it knows, this isn't the games. Also, it was Grasmixer (Leaf Tornado).

#5/6: Agreed that the league wasn't good, but neither were the others except Johto's. Kanto League made him lose in a stupid way, Hoenn's was nothing special, Sinnoh had Tobias and screwed certain characters over (Barry, Nando) just to further the Ash vs Paul rivalry. Tobias is a Gary Stu character who had no backstory or personality, how can Carsten (Cameron) be worse than that? In the actual league they exaggerated his idiocy but to me he's still better than Tobias.

#7: TP was well handled, unlike Team Galaktik and the AG evil teams, and I think part of that was them having their own arc.

#8: To each their own. I thought DA was pretty fun. Even though it was a fillar arc used to pad until XY, at least it was its own series. Don't let me get started on that year long gap in D&P.

It was getting its ass kicked in the beginning. You'd think Ash could take it out with one move, since he's SO competent.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I think that if Shooti had been presented as just a regular, run-of-the-mill trainer in the first episode of Best Wishes like Shinji was the hate for him wouldn't be as severe amongst some fans. As fans of a long-running anime franchise that he's at the center of we've long been used to seeing Satoshi lose those kinds of battles.

The bigger issue around Shooti amongst a lot of his detractors is that he was specifically shown as a beginning trainer who had just received his first Pokémon and was having his very first battle with it. Had Shooti been with Tsutarja for a very long time and developed a particular bond with it, had Shooti been given a reason for being so strong when he was just starting out, had the episode in question wanted to make some kind of point, or if something substantial actually came out of it then I personally wouldn't have had a problem.

And that being said, while it may be jarring that Pikachu could go from beating Regice to a drawn battle with Elekid, Shinji was never shown to be a beginner at all. The revelation that he'd traveled three regions, and the fact that Shinji only worked with Pokémon that were already strong, gave him a decent reason as to why he could do this and didn't really contradict anything.

It also helps that (IMHO) Shinji was actually interesting, a fresh character to introduce to this world, and gave Satoshi the kind of challenge that his character had desperately been lacking in the previous two shows. I tend to find Shooti rather boring in comparison.

Last edited:

KamikazeSSoH

Gym leader of São Paulo,brazi
    Years
  • BW was the worst ever. im sorry to say but i never liked the bw from the anime it was ♥♥♥♥ from me all the way. thank god its over. xY is way better then BW sorry for the fans that love BW but for me it was horrible :x

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • I can't hate on Trip so much because he seemed more fair to his Pokémon than Pual. Just because Trip recently received his first Pokémon and had his first battle with Ash doesn't necessarily mean that his victory wasn't justified. It's entirely possible that Trip has spent his whole life studying the art of Pokémon battling- learning strategies, movesets, offensive and defensive maneuvers, and counterattacks, to mention a few things. Also, remember that Ash's Pikachu was at a large disadvantage due to Zekrom.

I find it strange how people hate on BW's rivals when BW has had the most dynamic rival cast of the entire Pokémon anime.

Detective Benny

One truth prevails
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    Agreed with Wobbu. He seemed like the studious type, so it was only natural he know what to do in nearly any situation.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I can't hate on Trip so much because he seemed more fair to his Pokémon than Pual. Just because Trip recently received his first Pokémon and had his first battle with Ash doesn't necessarily mean that his victory wasn't justified. It's entirely possible that Trip has spent his whole life studying the art of Pokémon battling- learning strategies, movesets, offensive and defensive maneuvers, and counterattacks, to mention a few things. Also, remember that Ash's Pikachu was at a large disadvantage due to Zekrom.
    The one issue I have in seeing Shooti this way is that I don't remember BW giving any indication that Shooti had studied especially hard or had any specialized training. If you want to read into it that way, it's your choice, but I'd have liked some more indication from the show for something like that - especially since that would have made for a very nice contrast between Shooti and Satoshi and probably for a much more interesting rivalry.

I admit that I do tend to forget about the Zekrom plot point. But by the time of Shooti's next appearance, it really doesn't matter.

I find it strange how people hate on BW's rivals when BW has had the most dynamic rival cast of the entire Pokémon anime.
    I don't praise Best Wishes often but I will admit that Bel, Kenyan, Langley, and Cabernet were a lot of fun and a general improvement over DP's rivals - sans Shinji, Jun, and maybe Urara. The only two I didn't like were Shooti, for reasons already covered, and Kotetsu, who might be the single most frustrating character to come out of any of these shows. It's a shame that none of them really got a proper arc or conclusion, but they made those mini-tournaments worth watching.

I have to wonder if a large chunk of BW would have been better had Satoshi and Pikachu (and the Rocket trio) been written off at the end of Diamond & Pearl and replaced with someone new.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

1. Just so we're clear, I could write a novel using all of his less than smart moments, no denying that. However, having watched Kanto through Sinnoh in succession, BW Ash was back to the point of Kanto Ash. In other words, the happy-go-lucky attitude was back, which I personally consider a regression. Sure he was more lively, but at what cost? I couldn't take him seriously.

2. "No need to worry" was bearable because it wasn't done close to every episode. Misty pulling Brock's ear was more of a Brock thing than anything else, and I wouldn't try to deny that Brock flirting every episode was overdone. So teaching kids to be hypocrites is fine as long as it's in the name of comedy? K. No goodbye will ever be as emotional and sad as "Gotta Catch Ya Later". That's how you properly say goodbye to people that you spend time and bond with.

3. Two things with Trip. First, he had the biggest ego, was the most smug, and most conceited beginning trainer, topping Gary. I could take it if he was slightly overconfident like Ash was when he first started. Second, why did Ash consider him a rival in the first place? Oh right, because Trip insulted Pallet town. Nice one. Rivals in general though, I really enjoyed Bianca, Bergundy, and Georgia, but Trip was just "meh".

4. Well, I knew it was leaf something. Regardless, beginner pokemon should literally have close to nothing. Tackle and vine whip would've been passable, but leaf tornado?

5/6. Kanto league was fine, especially since it was his first and said Charizard had his established attitude problem. Hoenn was fine because it had the most creative arrangement; I believe it was something like 2 rounds of doubles and we got the extra full battle. Sinnoh was really well-done, regardless of Tobias. Not too sure how Tobias can be worse than Cameron as plot device. Cameron was an idiotic, retarded, stupid, a moron, and dolt, a fool, a nitwit, etc. In the name of humor, only a certain amount of stupidity is passable, and Cameron crossed the line. I mean, only 7 badges, only brings 5 pokemon, and then wins because Riolu happened to evolve.

7. The biggest problem with Team Plasma was that the BW2 games messed up the plot. Honestly, I really liked their original plot from the first games and couldn't wait to see it implemented in the anime. But... Yeah it's nothing that they could control. Ideally, it would have been TP1's plot spread throughout the saga, unlike the one dedicated arc TP2 got. Team Aqua/Magma's plots were really silly in the first place, but they were handled "ok." Team Galactic was fantastic, especially in tandem with hunter J.

8. I guess that's what it boils down to. Honestly, I thought the fillers were alright in BW, especially after how many years of TRio being in almost every filler in past gens. My problem with DA was the fact that it looked like something the writers put in to take up time between BW and XY. I mean, they can pull off a successful filler arc that seems meaningful(Orange and BF), but this was straight filler with no incentive. Would've been better off spreading the 20 episodes of filler throughout the saga and have maybe around 5 at the end dedicated to transition/goodbyes.

The rat was no-where near getting its ass kicked, unless you consider one dig and a doubleslap getting its ass kicked. Does not compute how essentially tying with a gym leader's "newly caught" bunnelby that has x amount of experience is worse than actually losing to a blatantly stated beginning trainer with a brand-new snivy. I mean, electric attacks would've done so much more damage against snivy the grass starter, right?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    [/spoiler]

1. Just so we're clear, I could write a novel using all of his less than smart moments, no denying that. However, having watched Kanto through Sinnoh in succession, BW Ash was back to the point of Kanto Ash. In other words, the happy-go-lucky attitude was back, which I personally consider a regression. Sure he was more lively, but at what cost? I couldn't take him seriously.

Actually, even Kanto Ash was better than BW Ash. At least Kanto Ash didn't mistake what was obviously a human female for a Pokémon, unlike BW Ash and Iris.

2. "No need to worry" was bearable because it wasn't done close to every episode. Misty pulling Brock's ear was more of a Brock thing than anything else, and I wouldn't try to deny that Brock flirting every episode was overdone. So teaching kids to be hypocrites is fine as long as it's in the name of comedy? K. No goodbye will ever be as emotional and sad as "Gotta Catch Ya Later". That's how you properly say goodbye to people that you spend time and bond with.

Yeah, and to be honest, I never really liked Brock's constant hitting on girls myself, even back in Kanto. And the fact that right now it reminds me far too much of the stuff Two and a Half Men and Family Guy got away with it makes my dislike of it even worse. I can't comment about Dawn's "No need to worry" as I stopped watching around the time of the Rourke episode. And it's not good to be hypocritical, even for the sake of comedy, so I agree with your implication there. And yeah, GCYL actually had punch and actually seemed like they actually had befriended each other. From what I can tell, the only one of AG's departures that was actually treated with even remotely the level of seriousness of GCYL was Max's departure.

3. Two things with Trip. First, he had the biggest ego, was the most smug, and most conceited beginning trainer, topping Gary. I could take it if he was slightly overconfident like Ash was when he first started. Second, why did Ash consider him a rival in the first place? Oh right, because Trip insulted Pallet town. Nice one. Rivals in general though, I really enjoyed Bianca, Bergundy, and Georgia, but Trip was just "meh".

Yeah, and it doesn't help that he beat Pikachu. I mean, yes, I know about Reshiram sapping Pikachu's electric abilities, but it's not like it only had Electric attacks. Don't forget, it also had Iron Tail and other attacks.

4. Well, I knew it was leaf something. Regardless, beginner pokemon should literally have close to nothing. Tackle and vine whip would've been passable, but leaf tornado?

Yeah, even without taking into account the games, Pokémon that are just starting out aren't exactly supposed to learn much beyond the basics anyways.

5/6. Kanto league was fine, especially since it was his first and said Charizard had his established attitude problem. Hoenn was fine because it had the most creative arrangement; I believe it was something like 2 rounds of doubles and we got the extra full battle. Sinnoh was really well-done, regardless of Tobias. Not too sure how Tobias can be worse than Cameron as plot device. Cameron was an idiotic, retarded, stupid, a moron, and dolt, a fool, a nitwit, etc. In the name of humor, only a certain amount of stupidity is passable, and Cameron crossed the line. I mean, only 7 badges, only brings 5 pokemon, and then wins because Riolu happened to evolve.

To be honest, the only good leagues were Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh. Hoenn had him not advance at all in rank, and Unova was even worse, actually having him decrease in rank.

The rat was no-where near getting its ass kicked, unless you consider one dig and a doubleslap getting its ass kicked. Does not compute how essentially tying with a gym leader's "newly caught" bunnelby that has x amount of experience is worse than actually losing to a blatantly stated beginning trainer with a brand-new snivy. I mean, electric attacks would've done so much more damage against snivy the grass starter, right?

Yeah, even tying against one owned by a gym leader, while not quite good on Pikachu's marks, is still better than losing to an explicit rookie, Reshiram interference or not.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    This question was directed at someone else.

Ya , You !!!

Ash was never all that smart, remember in early AG when he tried to capture Geckarbor (Treecko) without weakening it? Maike (May even called him out on it.

Let see , He was smart enough to use a Burnt Bike to power up Pikachu and Beat Team Rocket .
    He was smart to know Water contact Electricity which he use to beat to Team Rocket in Misty's gym.
    Oh , How did I forgot about ''Dark city Showdown'' where Ash teach 2 gym-leader a lesson . There are other proof running all over Original series .

Yeah, but it was a newly caught Pokemon he was using, Pikachu shouldn't have even STRUGGLED.

But it was used by a experience Gym leader who knew how to use it full power ! And Ash did find a way to beat its ear .

I don't look at episode previews or even pictures, I watch the episodes.

Really , Considering you have so many wrong information about the series .

Try explaining why he lost 2-6 against Paul, he shouldn't have lost that badly.

According to Bulbapedia-
    Paul battled Ash in a full battle in Pedal to the Mettle! and Evolving Strategies!. Here, he showed his true colors in battle and, despite Ash's Chimchar evolving into Monferno and three of Ash's Pokémon using the Counter Shield strategy, Paul won the match easily with only at a loss of two Pokémon overall, one of which defeated half of Ash's team nearly single-handedly. He had his Pokémon use a broad variety of strategies, which he kept up his sleeve until this battle, such as tempting Ash to send his Staraptor up against his Torterra so he could attack it with Stone Edge, Electabuzz using Light Screen to aid its comrades, using his Ursaring against Ash's Pikachu so as to activate its Guts Ability, and his Magmortar using Rock Tomb to protect itself against Water-type attacks. As a result, his strategy of completely overwhelming and outsmarting Ash with his more powerful Pokémon team succeeded with excellent results.

Now you're gonna Trip is the same !
    But he's not !
    Paul didn't become this strong in 1 day or Month ! He train and gather experience from various region before he become this strong .
    Furthermore , Paul winned because he always thought 2 step ahead of Ash ! This Defeat actually develop Ash and make him understand the importance of ''Foreseeing'' Which he later adapt to Beat Paul.
    THE EXPERIENCE WITH PAUL WAS JUST ENOUGH FOR ASH TO DEAL WITH 10 TRIP !

It's the world's strongest Karpador, but it's still a Karpador. His Pikachu should not have gotten its ass kicked.

Actually Pikachu didn't got his ass kicked , Pipup did !
    The Battle between Pikachu & Magikarp was ''Called off'' for lunch , Something you should known if you ACTUALLY WATCH IT !
    Plus , Are you saying that Pokemon like Magikarp can never be strong enough to put a hard fight against Pikachu no matter how much experience it has Or how hard it trains ??

Paul did have "plot armor" though.

Accept , He didn't had a Obvious plot Armor like Trip & Cameron !
    Writers actually care enough to give a legit reason for Paul to beat Ash .

And what didn't made sense !
    Did you saw him to receive Chimchar from Prof Rowan.
    Hack , None of us knew he had a Chimchar before the battle.
    He appeared with a Elekid and looking for Starly that knows ''Aerial Ace'' .
    That pretty much give off ''Experienced'' Vide.

Where exactly was this said?

Then tell me why he lose to Gary right after he won them.
    During OI , Gary trained and that made him stronger then Ash who got experience from OI.
    During BF , Gary quite training yet he was strong enough to beat Ash who just conquer BF .
    It seem Ash become weaker every time he waste time with those Facilities.

They should still provide some sort of conflict if they're going to be in the antagonist role, which they didn't in Johto, AG, D&P, and now XY.

If they play the role of ''Serious villain'' then who going to play the ''Comical Villain'' ? Team Flare ??

Pikachu got tired out each time Ash commanded an electric attack, which was 2-3 times, if I recall correctly.

No , Pikachu get tried when it use too much power and had a hard fight .

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Let see , He was smart enough to use a Burnt Bike to power up Pikachu and Beat Team Rocket .
    He was smart to know Water contact Electricity which he use to beat to Team Rocket in Misty's gym.
    Oh , How did I forgot about ''Dark city Showdown'' where Ash teach 2 gym-leader a lesson . There are other proof running all over Original series .

Yeah, and he and the others were at least smart enough to recognize Team Rocket in the more obvious of their disguises.

But it was used by a experience Gym leader who knew how to use it full power ! And Ash did find a way to beat its ear .

Actually, he does have a point, as Pikachu, having gone through those regions, shouldn't even need to go all out.

But he's not !
    Paul didn't become this strong in 1 day or Month ! He train and gather experience from various region before he become this strong .
    Furthermore , Paul winned because he always thought 2 step ahead of Ash ! This Defeat actually develop Ash and make him understand the importance of ''Foreseeing'' Which he later adapt to Beat Paul.

Famon does have a point, as he did get very strong from travelling through as many regions as Ash did, and that's not even counting the filler sagas. That being said, though, I'm not particularly happy with how they had Pikachu lost during the second encounter. Elekid I can forgive since it at least had an ability that used Pikachu's Volt Tackle against him, plus Elekid may have been captured outside Sinnoh since it was clear it wasn't his first Pokémon, but having him lose to Ursaring, a Pokémon that was a recent addition to the team, was extremely stupid even with its Guts ability. I would have preferred it lost against Paul's starter Pokémon, since not only does it have the type advantage, but it is also the closest in terms of experience to Pikachu.

Plus , Are you saying that Pokemon like Magikarp can never be strong enough to put a hard fight against Pikachu no matter how much experience it has Or how hard it trains ??

Don't know about having a hard fight against Pikachu, but considering Magikarp are reputed to be extremely useless Pokémon unless they evolve into Gyarados (and Pokémon Shipwreck proves this to be mostly true considering the mess that resulted when James attempted to rely on Magikarp to save his, Jessie, and Meowth's hide when the ship was about to sink into the abyss and, heck, even attempting to eat it.).

To be fair, though, people initially assumed that Elekid was his starter in a similar manner to how Pikachu was Ash's starter.

During OI , Gary trained and that made him stronger then Ash who got experience from OI.
    During BF , Gary quite training yet he was strong enough to beat Ash who just conquer BF .

To be fair, those dealt with Pokémon Ash hadn't encountered before or a new ability that Ash hadn't even heard of before, so I'll give Ash the benefit of the doubt there.

If they play the role of ''Serious villain'' then who going to play the ''Comical Villain'' ? Team Flare ??

You know, you can have a villain who is both comical and serious at the same time. I know a lot of people, like Dogasu, weren't too happy with how Team Rocket was handled in BW regarding a serious villain. Good examples of a villain who is both comical and a serious threat are the Joker from the Batman franchise, especially the ones with Mark Hamill, Kefka Palazzo from Final Fantasy VI, Bowser in several of the Mario games, etc., etc. I wasn't happy with TR's depiction in AG and DP as they emphasized their comical aspects a bit too much to even be considered a serious threat.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I thought the Black & White series was horrible. Iris felt really annoying and I got bored of watching it around the fight with Team Plasma. XY is okay but much more comfortable to watch than BW lol.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I thought the Black & White series was horrible. Iris felt really annoying and I got bored of watching it around the fight with Team Plasma. XY is okay but much more comfortable to watch than BW lol.

I can't comment on Iris one way or another as I have not seen her unlike May or Dawn (though she may have been closer to Misty's end of the spectrum than with May or Dawn, from what little I heard about her, I can't say with absolute certainty unless they have something similar to Princess vs. Princess where she is clearly shown to be different from the stereotype). But I do agree with you regarding BW being horrible.

Detective Benny

One truth prevails
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014

For every smart moment he had, he had at least one not-so-smart moment, the same is true for every series.

So if Ash has a newly caught Leufeo (Litleo), it should be able to put up a fight against Giovanni's experienced Rizeros (Rhydon), right?

Really , Considering you have so many wrong information about the series .

What "wrong information"?

According to Bulbapedia-

That quote proved nothing, it was just a summary of Ash vs Paul's battle, which doesn't smash the point I was making.

But he's not !

Ash went through more regions than Paul did. You may not think much of the OI or BF but it's still something, so he should still have the advantage instead of getting his ass kicked all the time.

Actually Pikachu didn't got his ass kicked , Pipup did !
    The Battle between Pikachu & Magikarp was ''Called off'' for lunch , Something you should known if you ACTUALLY WATCH IT !

I say "ass kicked" because it shouldn't have even struggled. Karpador was the strongest of its kind, but Pikachu had been through a lot.
    I'm not saying it should NEVER win, but it's not like Ash and Pikachu have been just sitting there while everyone else is training.

Accept , He didn't had a Obvious plot Armor like Trip & Cameron !
    Writers actually care enough to give a legit reason for Paul to beat Ash .

They at least gave a reason, but not a good enough reason.

It doesn't guarantee anything. Nothing said he was a beginner, but there was no hard proof he was experienced either.

Pikachu didn't have many options against Gary's Elevoltek (Electivire). With Elekid, THERE WAS NO excuse because he should have learned from his prior battle with Gary which happened just a few episodes ago.

They were comical in the games, so yes, they could.

No , Pikachu get tried when it use too much power and had a hard fight .

Which is what I was saying...

Detective Benny

One truth prevails
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    [/spoiler]

7. The biggest problem with Team Plasma was that the BW2 games messed up the plot. Honestly, I really liked their original plot from the first games and couldn't wait to see it implemented in the anime. But... Yeah it's nothing that they could control. Ideally, it would have been TP1's plot spread throughout the saga, unlike the one dedicated arc TP2 got. Team Aqua/Magma's plots were really silly in the first place, but they were handled "ok." Team Galactic was fantastic, especially in tandem with hunter J.

8. I guess that's what it boils down to. Honestly, I thought the fillers were alright in BW, especially after how many years of TRio being in almost every filler in past gens. My problem with DA was the fact that it looked like something the writers put in to take up time between BW and XY. I mean, they can pull off a successful filler arc that seems meaningful(Orange and BF), but this was straight filler with no incentive. Would've been better off spreading the 20 episodes of filler throughout the saga and have maybe around 5 at the end dedicated to transition/goodbyes.

#1: I didn't think Ash was much stupider, if at all. Nothing can top that one moment in DP I mentioned earlier in terms of idiocy for me.

#2: It was done nearly every episode. Sometimes they used different variations, but same thing. And it was ALWAYS followed by "That's when I/we worry the most!". How is it "teaching" kids to be hypocrites when she grew past it? The goodbye was emotional, but the episode itself could have been done much better than it was, but that's for another thread.

#3: Wouldn't you be angry at some smug jerk insulting your home town? I enjoyed those ones too. And at least Diaz/Trip had character, something Paul did NOT.

#4: I don't see a problem with it still, since anime is not games.

#5/6: It was so anticlimactic, though and Team Rocket had no business being there. They could have a full battle and still do the disobedient thing. Hoenn's battles were well done, but that's all that I really liked about it. With no rivals, there wasn't any incentive. They even had to throw in a last minute "rival" just so Ash wouldn't keep fighting nobodies. Carsten (Cameron) at least didn't have legendaries, and had a personality (an annoying one, maybe, but still).

#7: I don't think TG was that good because they didn't really have enough appearances (neither did J), they were just evil for the sake of it (so was G-Cis (Ghetsis)), but the rest of TP made up for it), plus you could barely tell most of the TG people apart from each other besides looks, and when they tried to do a TR vs. TG rivalry, it fell flat because Team Rocket weren't even villains.

#8: I thought the last two episodes were enough transition/goodbyes. They could have had less fillers, maybe but I still liked it.

Detective Benny

One truth prevails
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    Actually, even Kanto Ash was better than BW Ash. At least Kanto Ash didn't mistake what was obviously a human female for a Pokémon, unlike BW Ash and Iris.

Did you watch the episode? All he saw was her hair, which DOES look weird.

Yeah, and it doesn't help that he beat Pikachu. I mean, yes, I know about Reshiram sapping Pikachu's electric abilities, but it's not like it only had Electric attacks. Don't forget, it also had Iron Tail and other attacks.

Does that mean that Ash was stupid in AG for using a normal type move against a Gengar when he had electric and steel type moves then?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back