• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which is the worst Pokémon anime series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    He didn't age in any of BW's predecessors either.

Pikachu retained his experience during the beginning but slowly lost it due to lack of training, which is actually really good because we get to see Pikachu become strong all over again during XY.

He still occasionally snapped. There's an entire episode revolved around an argument between Ash and Iris called "The Path That Leads to Goodbye!"

Ash is constantly losing tournaments, not just the Club Battles. The Club Battle episodes were actually really good for BW character development.

See above

See above lol

???

Ash never catches legendaries. That's probably the closest he'll ever get to catching a legendary.

Same with any other regional conference besides the Orange Islands. Although I wasn't a big fan of the Vertress Conference either after Ash lost to Cameron's party of five.

I'm sure Kalos will follow the same patters but with nicer animation. Some things will get changed up but who knows what they will be.

My point is that BW was really no different than other seasons outside of the basics. Sure, Ash didn't train that much but that's what kept him from being OP during XY with fair reason.

These cannot be justified. As for Dawn, Iris once again called Ash a little kid for a petty reason, and Dawn got on the bandwagon, much to the dismay of both Ash and Cilan.

Years
  • I'm probably in the minority boat here but Sinnoh for me. The colors were really pale and looked washed out and Dawn was just.. too cute in a generic, boring way. I couldn't keep up with the series and only watched half or so of the episodes if that.

Other than that there really aren't any sagas I disliked. B/W started off great but got a tad boring since I lost interest in Iris, Johto was dragged out more than necessary but I adored the Pokemon introduced in the second generation, and etc. Sinnoh had almost nothing to reel me in other than Barry (who only showed up in a handful of episodes).

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Best Wishes, nuff said.

They took everything Ash worked for (and almost won) in Sinnoh, then smacked him on a trip to Unova, where stupidity ensued. Then when Ash managed to earn eight badges with enough time left for a full conference arc, the doo-head writers wasted all of it up until the next plane ride over to Kalos.

Within Unova, Ash had lost:
    -His right to age
    -His Pikachu's experience
    -His ability to call out those who insult him (Such as Iris. He at least snapped at Misty a few times).
    -The Club Battle
    -The Clubsplosion
    -The Wishing Bell Festival
    -Any mutual respect Dawn had for him to Iris.
    -The Meloetta that followed him for a few episodes.
    -The Vertress Conference, along with his top 4 record, and chance to fight his intended league rival, Virgil.

What lengths will they go to in Kalos?

I disargee everything you said. Ash was still the same mature character in Unova as he was in the other past 4 Pokemon series, BW made his character a whole better then the Sinnoh series. The Vertress Conference did have some great interesting battles but the Pokemon League was just too overrush.

Sinnoh however was the worst series to date, plus Dawn/Piplup were the worst characters to ever be added to the show since May/Max i'm happy these characters are gone. fail to do and XY is doing a great job with Ash character development.

Ash still lost some of his important battles during the DP series aswell, he really didn't change all that much in Sinnoh at all.

The writers already had it plan for Ash to lose to Cameron instead of Virgil at the Vertress Conference, but the Unova

Last edited:

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Piks said:
    Ash still lost some of his important battles during the DP series aswell, he really didn't change all that much in Sinnoh at all.
    I'll never understand when fans say Satoshi never developed or grew, not where Diamond & Pearl is concerned. The version Satoshi we see starting that series would never have been capable of the kind of battle he and Shinji fought at Suzuran, not without all the effort he'd made to becoming a stronger trainer between DP's third episode and its one hundred and eighty-eighth. All over that battle you can see the results of all his work in raising his Pokemon, the lessons he learned from others, and the techniques he developed after looking back at some of his losses - the Ice Aqua Jet, the Ice Punch, the Counter Shield, etc. That battle makes very little sense if you go in thinking Satoshi didn't change. His general personality remained the same, that much is true - just as it's true for every other major character in any Pocket Monsters show - but his skills as a trainer saw a vast amount of improvement, so much so that he was able to make it to the semifinals of a Pokemon League for the first time. He even did better against the guy who beat him and won the League than any other competitor did.

And yes, it's also true that Satoshi lost big battles in Diamond & Pearl as well as in Best Wishes. The major difference between the two versions of the character, however, is that while the former actually took the opportunity to learn from his losses and make improvements to his battle style, the latter remained more or less the same. DP's Satoshi actually worked with his Pokemon to overcome weaknesses so that their improvement could be seen in the next major battle they fought (e.g. Hayashigame losing to Shinji's Donkarasu in DP100 and then applying what it learned from Dodaitose in the Suzuna Gym battle, to where it took out her Nyula). In BW, Satoshi could take a big loss to Shuuti and then make no visible, on-screen improvement by the time he faced Aloe. In the Suzuran Conference, Satoshi applies everything he'd learned in Sinnoh to finally defeat his rival and make it to the semifinals for the first time, only being stopped by the eventual winner of the competition. In the Higaki tournament, Satoshi goes back to the quarterfinals and loses to a guy who didn't even realize a full battle required six Pokemon and then lost 3-6 afterwards.

I'm sure it was the intention of both series that Satoshi would grow from where he started out, but whereas DP was able to show this competently, BW failed to show he went through any growth at all. And as far as I'm concerned, failing to show that growth in the main character of the show severely hurt the quality of Best Wishes and is one of the biggest reasons - though there are several outside of that - why I personally rate it the worst.

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • As the user above me stated, the fact that Ash lost all character development and progress at the beginning of BW really put a dent in the series. I disliked a lot of other things also. I couldn't bring myself to like Iris, no matter how much screen time she was given. Her English voice actor was incredibly painful to listen to and paired with her personality, I found her difficult to sit through. Cilan was alright, if a little bland. I know Brock had become stale at that point but Cilan didn't have much to offer the series. I'd have liked to have seen a bit more development. Also, Ash's I disliked most of Ash's Pokémon, with the exception of Unfezant maybe.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Bw Series by far the Worst !
    Considering the Incredibly stupid , really weak , incompetent and shameless ''Mature'' Ash

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    Considering the Incredibly stupid , really weak , incompetent and shameless ''Mature'' Ash

You mean Passive Ash. He made one mistake too many. From his choice of traveling companions to treating failures like no big deal, passing it off as "going his own pace", "doing his best", and "making friends/having fun".

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Best Wishes was the worst in terms of story, but Johto was the worst in terms of awful fillers.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • All the series have their good points and their bad points, and the first season will always be my favorite, but my least favorite has to be Unova, in which I ended up quitting the anime for good afterwards. It had so much potential and they wasted most of it on pointless filler episodes and tournaments that didn't really amount to anything. This was combined with bad writing, bad characterization, the fact that Ash was regressed and flanderized to a shadow of his former self, and many other aspects.

The worst part is that Gen 5 is the generation where the most fans left the franchise, with the changes made in the games from Gen 4 (as I said on another thread); and this, combined with the changes made in the BW anime hit both sides of the franchise hard. I ultimately gave up on the anime afterwards, I tried watching the X/Y anime, and I can say it's gotten better with X/Y from what I have seen and heard, but it still has a long way to go before it can get out of the shadow of it's predecessor.

As the user above me stated, the fact that Ash lost all character development and progress at the beginning of BW really but a dent in the series. I disliked a lot of other things also. I couldn't bring myself to like Iris, no matter how much screen time she was given. Her English voice actor was incredibly painful to listen to and paired with her personality, I found her difficult to sit through. Cilan was alright, if a little bland. I know Brock had become stale at that point but Cilan didn't have much to offer the series. I'd have liked to have seen a bit more development. Also, Ash's I disliked most of Ash's Pokémon, with the exception of Unfezant maybe.

I agree with you, considering I cannot stand the TPCi dub voices (the 4Kids ones are fine), hearing Iris and Ash's voice together in the dub sounded like nails on a chalkboard, combined with her obnoxious personality and that in the later half the writers over-glorified her as soon as she got her Dragonite, I also couldn't stand her Axew. I found Cilan unappealing in both design (the beady eyes looked awkward to me) and characterization and he didn't really do anything to contribute to the series at all.

As for Ash's Pokemon, I disliked most of his Unova team too, they were either bland and had no personality whatsoever, or they were really annoying (Oshawott especially).

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I'll never understand when fans say Satoshi never developed or grew, not where Diamond & Pearl is concerned. The version Satoshi we see starting that series would never have been capable of the kind of battle he and Shinji fought at Suzuran, not without all the effort he'd made to becoming a stronger trainer between DP's third episode and its one hundred and eighty-eighth. All over that battle you can see the results of all his work in raising his Pokemon, the lessons he learned from others, and the techniques he developed after looking back at some of his losses - the Ice Aqua Jet, the Ice Punch, the Counter Shield, etc. That battle makes very little sense if you go in thinking Satoshi didn't change. His general personality remained the same, that much is true - just as it's true for every other major character in any Pocket Monsters show - but his skills as a trainer saw a vast amount of improvement, so much so that he was able to make it to the semifinals of a Pokemon League for the first time. He even did better against the guy who beat him and won the League than any other competitor did.

And yes, it's also true that Satoshi lost big battles in Diamond & Pearl as well as in Best Wishes. The major difference between the two versions of the character, however, is that while the former actually took the opportunity to learn from his losses and make improvements to his battle style, the latter remained more or less the same. DP's Satoshi actually worked with his Pokemon to overcome weaknesses so that their improvement could be seen in the next major battle they fought (e.g. Hayashigame losing to Shinji's Donkarasu in DP100 and then applying what it learned from Dodaitose in the Suzuna Gym battle, to where it took out her Nyula). In BW, Satoshi could take a big loss to Shuuti and then make no visible, on-screen improvement by the time he faced Aloe. In the Suzuran Conference, Satoshi applies everything he'd learned in Sinnoh to finally defeat his rival and make it to the semifinals for the first time, only being stopped by the eventual winner of the competition. In the Higaki tournament, Satoshi goes back to the quarterfinals and loses to a guy who didn't even realize a full battle required six Pokemon and then lost 3-6 afterwards.

I'm sure it was the intention of both series that Satoshi would grow from where he started out, but whereas DP was able to show this competently, BW failed to show he went through any growth at all. And as far as I'm concerned, failing to show that growth in the main character of the show severely hurt the quality of Best Wishes and is one of the biggest reasons - though there are several outside of that - why I personally rate it the worst.

As the user above me stated, the fact that Ash lost all character development and progress at the beginning of BW really but a dent in the series. I disliked a lot of other things also. I couldn't bring myself to like Iris, no matter how much screen time she was given. Her English voice actor was incredibly painful to listen to and paired with her personality, I found her difficult to sit through. Cilan was alright, if a little bland. I know Brock had become stale at that point but Cilan didn't have much to offer the series. I'd have liked to have seen a bit more development. Also, Ash's I disliked most of Ash's Pokémon, with the exception of Unfezant maybe.

Best Wishes was the worst in terms of story, but Johto was the worst in terms of awful fillers.

All the series have their good points and their bad points, and the first season will always be my favorite, but my least favorite has to be Unova, in which I ended up quitting the anime for good afterwards. It had so much potential and they wasted most of it on pointless filler episodes and tournaments that didn't really amount to anything. This was combined with bad writing, bad characterization, the fact that Ash was regressed and flanderized to a shadow of his former self, and many other aspects.

The worst part is that Gen 5 is the generation where the most fans left the franchise, with the changes made in the games from Gen 4 (as I said on another thread); and this, combined with the changes made in the BW anime hit both sides of the franchise hard. I ultimately gave up on the anime afterwards, I tried watching the X/Y anime, and I can say it's gotten better with X/Y from what I have seen and heard, but it still has a long way to go before it can get out of the shadow of it's predecessor.

I agree with you, considering I cannot stand the TPCi dub voices (the 4Kids ones are fine), hearing Iris and Ash's voice together in the dub sounded like nails on a chalkboard, combined with her obnoxious personality and that in the later half the writers over-glorified her as soon as she got her Dragonite, I also couldn't stand her Axew. I found Cilan unappealing in both design (the beady eyes looked awkward to me) and characterization and he didn't really do anything to contribute to the series at all.

As for Ash's Pokemon, I disliked most of his Unova team too, they were either bland and had no personality whatsoever, or they were really annoying (Oshawott especially).

A lot of the fans has already left the show during the DP series then they did with the BW series, the 4 Generation ruin the Pokemon franchise and everything that made Pokemon such a great show doing the first 2 Generations.

Ash was still the same mature/competent character in BW as he was in the other past 4 Pokemon series, as for Ash's Unova team most of them had some great personalities as for Oshawott he did got kinda boring in the end, but he was still a great pokemon.

It's pretty clear that DP series is the worst series ever made since it did a lot more harm then good and Ash's character didn't really get that much development in Sinnoh as some trying to make it seem that way, the only reason why XY series is good so far is because it comes after the BW series and not the DP series.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • None of the series are bad but if I had to choose the worst one, it would be the Kanto series. Almost all of Ash's Gym battles were anti-climatic, which led to many undeserved badges. I understand that Ash used an accidental strategy to defeat Brock, but really? Sprinklers have never been a factor in any other battle and I doubt they will ever be again. Pikachu had the most personality during the series but where did his strength come from and how did he improve it? We never witnessed episodes when Ash took the time to train Pikachu and teach him new moves and strategies. The same can be applied to generally the rest of the Pokémon from OS. Character development existed but wasn't as prominent as succeeding series. Besides Ritchie (who only appeared during the Indigo League and a very minor portion of Johto) and a few other main characters (TR, Delia, Oak; not Kanto exclusive characters however), recurring characters didn't exist. Networking was at a minimum and Brock and Misty were pretty much Ash's marionettes (if only Ash knew how to work the strings).

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2014
    I thoroughly enjoyed black and white except for the fact that Cilan would over reference food and spices in situations that made no sense to use that and Bianca always bowling over ash got annoying.

The one predictable thing that really did get annoying was how Cilan seemed to be a connoisseur for everything.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Best Wishes Season 2: Decolora Adventures.

It was a completely pointless arc. All it did was to make us think a huge reunion in Pallet Town is going to happen.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    Evil Kid Sonic: You know what I hate: Pokemon Advanced Generation! Here's why!:

1. The anime starts off with Berserk Pikachu!
    2. Ash has no Hoenn rival!
    3. May follows Ash for no good reason!
    4. Pokemon Contests!
    5. Max pulls Brocks ear!
    6. Team Rocket downgraded to pure goofy!
    7. May's overemotional moments!
    8. Vivi Winstrate breaks Max's heart!
    9. The contest judges in Rubello Town!
    10. Max does get to keep any Pokemon!
    11. Camp gay Harley!
    12. Filler after filler after filler!
    13. Ash loses to Tyson!
    14. Lucario dies at the end of Movie 8!
    15. Brandon's loud "Noooooo"!

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2017
    The only series which I had trouble watching was the Unova series.

The Sinnoh, Kanto and johto series were my favorites and going from Sinnoh to Unova was painful.

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
    Years
  • The Hoenn series was my 2nd favorite (after Johto), but I absolutely have to agree with some of these:

Evil Kid Sonic: You know what I hate: Pokemon Advanced Generation! Here's why!:

1. The anime starts off with Berserk Pikachu!
    And more to the point, Berserk Pikachu conveniently comes back so Ash can sweep Wattson and just move along.

2. Ash has no Hoenn rival!
    One could make a (very weak) case for May by the end of Battle Frontier, but it was a shame we didn't have a Gary/equivalent. May had Drew, so at least someone had a rival.

3. May follows Ash for no good reason!
    I think it was just a matter of convenience. May was ready to start her journey, and an experienced traveler destroyed her bike just fell into her lap.

4. Pokemon Contests!
    I actually liked those segments, just a matter of opinion I guess.

5. Max pulls Brocks ear!
    I was really hoping for May to take up Misty's mantle here (or even Ash for that matter), but it just seemed weird having Max do it.

6. Team Rocket downgraded to pure goofy!
    Mostly Meowth's daydreams about Giovanni. I'm still not sure what was up with some of those. "Imagine da boss, wakin up one mornin..."

7. May's overemotional moments!
    It was cute in the beginning, but did get old fast.

8. Vivi Winstrate breaks Max's heart!
    Agreed, redacted her. Max deserves better anyways.

9. The contest judges in Rubello Town!
    Don't remember them, so no comment here.

10. Max does get to keep any Pokemon!
    (I'm guessing that was supposed to be "doesn't?")
    Especially that Ralts. They were made for each other.

11. Camp gay Harley!
    When even James can call someone out for being 'flaming,' you know they're a little over the top.

12. Filler after filler after filler!
    I wasn't bothered by the amount of filler so much as its distribution. The pace was never consistent, there'd be a lot of story/development crammed together, then long runs of just filler.

13. Ash loses to Tyson!
    I didn't expect Ash to win the League competition, but I did expect him to get farther than Tyson. He was on a roll, then just got cut short in the top 8; I had expected him to either make top 4, or make the finals but lose then.

14. Lucario dies at the end of Movie 8!
    I've only seen movies 1 and 2, so no comment here. (Out of context) it does sound like a dumb move though.

15. Brandon's loud "Noooooo"!
    THIS. EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS. Every voice-acting class ever should take any scene with Brandon as a textbook example of how not to deliver your lines.

To add to that, (most of) the new VAs from Battle Frontier onward were painful to listen to. Someone in an earlier post equated them to nails on a chalkboard, but I think a garden rake on a chalkboard would be much more accurate...

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    The Hoenn series was my 2nd favorite (after Johto), but I absolutely have to agree with some of these:

And more to the point, Berserk Pikachu conveniently comes back so Ash can sweep Wattson and just move along.

One could make a (very weak) case for May by the end of Battle Frontier, but it was a shame we didn't have a Gary/equivalent. May had Drew, so at least someone had a rival.

I think it was just a matter of convenience. May was ready to start her journey, and an experienced traveler destroyed her bike just fell into her lap.

I actually liked those segments, just a matter of opinion I guess.

I was really hoping for May to take up Misty's mantle here (or even Ash for that matter), but it just seemed weird having Max do it.

Mostly Meowth's daydreams about Giovanni. I'm still not sure what was up with some of those. "Imagine da boss, wakin up one mornin..."

It was cute in the beginning, but did get old fast.

Agreed, redacted her. Max deserves better anyways.

Don't remember them, so no comment here.

(I'm guessing that was supposed to be "doesn't?")
    Especially that Ralts. They were made for each other.

When even James can call someone out for being 'flaming,' you know they're a little over the top.

I wasn't bothered by the amount of filler so much as its distribution. The pace was never consistent, there'd be a lot of story/development crammed together, then long runs of just filler.

I didn't expect Ash to win the League competition, but I did expect him to get farther than Tyson. He was on a roll, then just got cut short in the top 8; I had expected him to either make top 4, or make the finals but lose then.

I've only seen movies 1 and 2, so no comment here. (Out of context) it does sound like a dumb move though.

THIS. EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS. Every voice-acting class ever should take any scene with Brandon as a textbook example of how not to deliver your lines.

To add to that, (most of) the new VAs from Battle Frontier onward were painful to listen to. Someone in an earlier post equated them to nails on a chalkboard, but I think a garden rake on a chalkboard would be much more accurate...

Ever heard of ScrewAttack?

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • I don't like the anime that much, but i have to vote advanced and frontier (3rd gen), because of the ending...

Max: "Hey Ash, when i'll get my first pokemon, promise me we'll battle!"
    Ash :" Okay!"

He won't get it, because he won't age...that's the sad part.

Detective Benny

One truth prevails
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    Pokemon: The Series XY

It's not funny or entertaining. The characters range from boring to annoying. Amourshipping adds nothing to the show. The music is nothing special. The plots, especially for the filler episodes are lame. It feels like the makers just crank out episode after episode without effort and then show it to everyone.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back