• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which 'mon are not native to their introductory region?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    So I remember that when we first explored Kalos, there was a bunch of talk about how Eevee are probably native to Kalos due to them being found pretty commonly in the wild. And now with Alola, how Exeggutor's Alolan form is claimed to be its "true" form- maybe they're actually originally from Alola rather than Kanto? Are there other Pokémon that may not have originated where we first encountered them? Which ones?

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
    I think Farfetch'd might be native to Johto because the only one you get in the Kanto games is from an in-game trade while it can be found in the wild in the Johto games. Same for Lickitung.

Lapras might be native to Johto, Sevii Islands or Alola since it's only obtained as a gift in the Kanto games.

Since the only time Castform is found in the wild (not counting the Trophy Garden in D/P/Pt) is in BW2 and S/M, I think it might be native to Unova or Alola.

Years
    The only way that you can get a Riolu in Sinnoh is through an egg given to you by Riley, though they can be found in the wild in Johto, Unova, Kalos, and Alola.

And it's hard to tell if a Pokemon like Clefairy is native to Kanto. Sure, they've made their home in Mt. Moon now, but they were said to have come from space. However, they appear in a number of other regions as well, so it's possible that it could just be an old wives' tale that they came from space, when in reality they just showed up from another region.

Years
    I have the idea that Alola might have been the real native region for Exeggutor since its Alolan Form is implied to be its "true" form.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    Some legendary and mythical Pokémon, especially Arceus and its most "direct" creations, Unown, the Ultra Beasts, Yungoos, other extraterrestrial and extradimensional Pokémon, and possibly every starter Pokémon (except the Kalos starters), and gift-only Pokémon in their introductory regions (e.g. Beldum or Lickitung).

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I like to assume that both Kyogre and Groudon aren't from Hoenn, but rather during their ancient battle they just ended up at the spot where Hoenn came into existence and were put to rest in that location.

I mean their power of incredible Sun/Rain seems to be pretty limited in terms of reach, if it doesn't even cover the entire Hoenn region in the games.

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
    Togepi can only be obtained through an egg in Johto//Kanto/Hoenn, and they may only be obtained theough Island scan/White Forest/Pokéradar/Friend safari otherwise.

Tyrogue may not be found regularly in the wild either- A gift in Kanto & Johto, Dexnav in Hienn, Pokéradar in Sinnoh, Swarm in Unova & Friend Safari in Kalos.

The Beldum line could even be native to Alola or Unova, being the only regions where they are regular encounters.

Zorua & Zoroark could be exclusive to the Kalos region.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Jun 12, 2024
    I mean... in regards to starters, it depends on how far back you want to go, at least as far as the games are concerned. In Pokemon Yellow, you're able to catch Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander so it's safe to assume that they're pretty native to Kanto. Although they can also be found in XY's Friend Safari, but I don't think that counts because that's more of a preservation area than their actual natural habitat.

What I do wonder is what SM's QR code means for Johto starters as well as Unova starters being found "in the wild" there. Obviously they're not native to Alola, but how did they spontaneously appear there?

Perhaps they are native but they have been mating in secluded areas for years. The QR code triggers a region-wide release of pheromones into the wild which cause the mating Chikorita to perform their mating calls in open air, where they frequently come into contact with trainers.

Back