• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which Starter Is The Best Choice?

Which Starter Is The Best Choose

• Totodile,Croconaw,Feraligater

Votes: 48 38.1%
  • Chikorita,Bayleef,Meganium

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • Cyndaquil,Quilava,Typhlosion

Votes: 65 51.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

poke-12345

Noob Hacker
Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2012
    Which Starter Is The Best Choose In Heart Gold Soul Silver?
    (There Is A Poll At)

1.Totodile,Croconaw,Feraligater
    2.Chikorita,Bayleef,Meganium
    3.Cyndaquil,Quilava,Typhlosion

Which Starter Is The Best Choice?

Last edited:

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • Cyndaquil is the easiest starter to beat the game with, as it learns good attacks early and it's effective against several of the game's Gyms, but late-game, it's rather weak. As Typhlosion, it has pretty good stats, but a shallow movepool. They are much better Fire-types, such as Growlithe, which are available early on.

Totodile is a great choice. It's not as powerful as Cyndaquil early-game, but by the time it's Feraligatr, it has access to a huge movepool, and its stats are great too. There are a lot of other great Water-types out there, though--there aren't quite as much Fire-types and Grass-types available.

Chikorita is very, very week throughout the entirety of the game, being weak against the majority of the game's Gym Leaders and Elite Four members. As a Meganium, it's a defensive Pokemon with a rather good movepool (Outrage, Earthquake), but it's still weak to a lot of types. If you want a challenge, go with Chikorita.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    I would choose Chikorita to make the game a bit more of a challenge but if you want the easiest, go with Cyndaquil.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • I'd choose Totodile because Chikorita is weak and Totodile pwns Cyndaquil easily!

Kninj

Collector Extraordinaire!
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 19, 2012
    Totodile, i think. I've played through with all three, and although Gyms were easier with Cyndaquil and evos., Totodile in the end was much stronger.

Mahtale

Lives are overrated.
    Years
  • I could definitely see the argument with all three of the evolution sets.

I would, of course, choose Cyndaquil simply due to personal preference. In addition, this evolution set makes the beginning of the game much easier; and, by the end of the game, it's easy enough to acquire Pokemon which host a more favorable move list.

Totodile is a great choice for access to much more powerful moves. But, as someone else said, you have plenty of other opportunities to catch equally as strong water type Pokemon by the time your Totodile evolves into Feraligatr.

Chikorita is a great choice for some challenge. Do not be mistaken, though. Meganium can be quite a formidable Pokemon if used properly.

I've personally used all three sets; Cyndaquil in Silver, Chikorita in Gold, and Totodile in Crystal. They are all great Pokemon, in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2011
    I would personally think about what Kanto and Hoenn starters I want aswell...

Charizard's always my favorite. Sceptile's my favorite for Hoenn. So yeah, definitely Feraligatr. But since I have Typhlosion, I don't know if I still choose Charizard, or if I take Blastoise.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Totodile is the best starter out of the 3 Johto starters, IMO, because you can use Surf/Waterfall without relying on another Pokemon.

Snopes

Veteran Newblette
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2011
    I personally like Cyndaquil since the whole Pokemon franchise tends to ignore the fire types.

I mean, look at the ridiculous amounts of water types out there! xD

ShreyasPokemon

wants battles only...
    Years
  • Personally, there isn't a "best" starter out there. All of them are equal they have capabilities that other starters don't.

If you mean "looks" Typhlosion is pretty awesome.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2014
    Chikorita is my favorite Johto starter, so she'd probably be my pick as the best. ^-^

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • Totodile is the best starter out of the 3 Johto starters, IMO, because you can use Surf/Waterfall without relying on another Pokemon.
    I rarely learn HMs to my powerful Pokemon. I suggest not to make your Totodile learn waterfall since it's a weak move. Surf and fly are alright I guess.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I chose Cyndaquil because it's the easiest of the three for me to use in-game. I like its moveset and its typing doesn't become a liability until later in the game when you should have a better selection of Pokemon to cover its weaknesses.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Personally, there isn't a "best" starter out there. All of them are equal they have capabilities that other starters don't.
    My sentiments exactly. Each starter is used differently, and depending on how you use it in the game will depend on how valuable of a team member it is. So, each one in their own way is pretty "best" at what it specializes in.

If I went by personal preference, then I would choose Totodile. Not by design either, but because it gives the player a chance to cover a lot of its weaknesses. Learning various types of moves, it can come in quite useful.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    Cyndaquil. He owns all of the Johto gyms and when you make it to Kanto hes already at a high enough level to own even Misty

Novia

Psyduck Fangirl <3
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2011
    Totodile is the best starter from these games!

Chikorita+evolutions are just tooo slow and Cyndaquil+evolutions seems too squishy. Totodile+evolutions seem like a nice cross between the two and I think it's the best looking one out of the three.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back