• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which starters did you pick?

Rabby

The Samurott Awaits...
Years
  • In Pearl, I chose Turtwig as my starter, although i had wanted Piplup before, but i had always thought a grass starter would be better than any of the starters. Chimchar is cool (Ex, Infernape), but, eh, didn't appeal to me ^^

As for HG, I chose, of course one of the most popular johto starter, Cyndaquil. The other two did not appeal to me one bit :/

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    In Platinum, I played a file with all 3 because they were so interesting, but I decided on Turtwig in the end because it fits Lucas best.

In SoulSilver, I wanted to use Totodile, but this was one game where you're screwed without a fire type so I went with Cyndaquil.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Diamond: Piplup (favourite of the three)
    Platinum: Turtwig (second favourite)
    Soul Silver: Chikorita

Years
  • I think my initial starter in Diamond (7 YEARS AGO OMG) was Turtwig, and in Soul Silver it was Cyndaquil. When I got Platinum, I picked Chimchar because I wanted to smash stuff with a good natured Infernape. B) I just started Heart Gold in earnest, and I'm still trying to figure out who to use. XD

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2023
    Piplup was my go to starter for Pearl when I played it for the first time, and I chose Turtwig for Diamond.

Cindaquil was my buddy in SoulSilver. I restarted at some point with a Chikorita though.

The fourth gen starters were all enjoyable though, I have to say.

MeetMeInUtopia

Do You Think you can tell...
    Years
  • I chose Chimchar and Chikorita. There usually isn't a pattern to how I pick. Although I typically choose grass just because. The fourth generation starters were probably the most pleasant in my opinion.

lozzop

Monkey slut!
    Years
  • Diamond: chimchar (always been my favourite starter ever)
    SS: Chikorita, because it's so cute, when I was little I always wanted one in real life :)

Years
  • In Platinum I chose Chimchar only because I thought Infrenape was "alright" looking. (Didn't really like any starters at the time). I was quite pleased with my choice in the end though, he turned out to be strong enough.

I chose Cyndaquil in Soul Silver - I always chose Cyndaquil in Gold and Crystal. I can't resist Typhlosion's fiery collar. :3

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • Turtwig in Sinnoh for sure!! Torterra is one of my favorite pokemon, and his attacks and high defense got me through the E4. In Johto, I chose Totodile because Feraligatr :P

Schizii

Always tired.
    Years
  • For Diamond, I believe I chose Piplup. Pearl it was Chimchar, then I restarted with Turtwig. For Platinum, I don't think I remember... But, it was probably Piplup again, knowing me and my obsession with cutie-pie penguins.

I never actually played Soul Silver. I only have Heart Gold. xD;;
    But in Heart Gold, I chose Cyndaquil. I named him Balthazar. vuv"

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • The very first time I picked up Diamond, years and years ago, before I actually got back into Pokemon, I picked Piplup because I loved water starters. As a child I wanted to be a Marine Biologist for some reason, haha, so I loved aquatic life. When Heart Gold came out, which was the game that got me back into Pokemon, I actually chose Totodile because it was the same starter I used before. Later on when I bought Diamond again I decided to try Turtwig though, which was awesome, he's pretty much my favorite Sinnoh starter at this point.

Years
  • The very first time I picked up Diamond, years and years ago, before I actually got back into Pokemon, I picked Piplup because I loved water starters. As a child I wanted to be a Marine Biologist for some reason, haha, so I loved aquatic life. When Heart Gold came out, which was the game that got me back into Pokemon, I actually chose Totodile because it was the same starter I used before. Later on when I bought Diamond again I decided to try Turtwig though, which was awesome, he's pretty much my favorite Sinnoh starter at this point.

This is pretty much my story as well. I always choose water Pokémon the first time I play because they are my favorite. I always go through again with each starter though, which is why I'm glad there are usually 3 different versions in each generation because it means I can have a slightly different experience every time.

I'm just started Diamond/Gen 4 for the first time. I picked Piplup obviously, but I read that Turtwig is the best starter in these. I know I will like Turtwig because turtles are my favorite animal as well. Ha. I sound like a 10 year old.

Water Pokémon all the way though!

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I picked Chimchar the first time I touched a 4th Gen game, which was Diamond. He served me really well, and helped me own the whole game :p

Come Platinum, and following Marriland's path during his Platinum playthrough of which I was watching like mad, and I used Turtwig. All simply because Marriland did. Turtwig's cute, has some neat moves. Torterra's amazing, Grass/Ground's an amazing typing once you look past the 4x Ice weakness.

I got SS via ROM, as my DS was broken at the time. Started with a (shiny, somehow) Totodile, named it Nomnoms. Strong and cuddly, too (:

Pillodox

Ruff
    Years
  • On Pokemon Pearl, Turtwig since he seemed a good choice, and on SS, Cyndaquil as he would have a good start to the game.

Years
  • Most of my Sinnoh playthroughs here had me picking Chimchar, but in some I went with Turtwig. Piplup was my least chosen of the three.

As for HGSS, I had Totodile for my main playthrough of Heart Gold, and Cyndaquil in my side runs of Soul Silver. The one time I picked Chikorita, a Nuzlocke, it died as a Bayleef. :x

Smeargle

Illusory
    Years
  • In Sinnoh I went with turtwig the first playthrough and On my second playthough I went for piplup... I never really fancied chimchars design.

For HG I picked chikorita in memory of my first gold playthrough, I really enjoyed having it around following me xD

Back