• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Which starters, in your opinion, is the best?

Pokedra

Retired
Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    For battling Greninja is by far the best, decent Special Attack, high speed allows it to outspeed and pick off weakened foes. Combine that with Spikes and Protean and he is easily the best of the three starters. Delphox is cool and pretty strong too but not on Greninja's level and Chesnaught is fairly average.

Years
  • Greninja is the best one I believe.. His great STAB and protean ability already have been pointed out.

But he can apparently also learn rapid spin and spikes.. Yes please?

Finally something else then our beloved sea star.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Froakie, but I'm biased towards Water types. :P Fennekin's line seems interesting, I think I'll use that next time I play through the game. imo Chesnaught doesn't seem that great, I mean it never did any great damage to my team when I battled it, but then again I can't say for sure because I haven't used it, haha

Faye Rose~

Resilient
    Years
  • First for me is the Fennekin line. Second is the Chespin line as they've grown on me a bit (besides the 2nd stage one that is Chespin inflated like a balloon.) 3rd is Froakie, I don't like his line at all.

NavyBlue

Hoenn Lover
    Years
  • Greninja, of course! I chose Froakie before he was cool (lol). I knew I was right to not choose Fennekin!
    He's pretty fast and has good Sp. Attack, I love him.
    ~:t201-n:avy

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
    Years
  • So in conclusion, most everyone loves the ninja frog Froakie, Fennekin gets a lot of love and Chespin, as I expected since its second evolution was revealed, is pretty much disregarded.

*sigh* My favorites are always the ones shoves aside. Bibarel, Emboar, Chikorita... all get tons of hate and dislike.

To be honest, I never have trouble with 4x weaknesses. I don't think it's an issue. The only thing you have to do is use your basic intelligence. Does Pikachu know a Flying type move? Noooo. Does Bidoof have a Flying type move? Nooooope. Does Fletchinder have a Flying type move? Yesssss. *switches*

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Fennekin is an all right Pokémon—it's quite cute. I'm not very fond of its final-stage evolution though, Delphox. When it was first announced, people thought that it would be based on a witch, but in actuality, it wasn't. Instead, it ended up looking more like a priestess. d: Not that I dislike the concept or anything, but I think Delphox would've looked a whole lot better if it actually turned out to be a witch as people had expected.

Froakie is not that bad. Out of the three starters, this has gotta be second favorite. They've done a great job at making Greninja look like a ninja. It does quite look like one, doesn't it? Also, I love how they made its tongue act as a scarf—it's very creative! On the battling side of things, it has great Speed, and its offenses seem to be well-balanced. If you utilize it the right way, then this Pokémon could make a great revenge killer for almost any of your team.

My most favorite starter of all would have to Chespin. Chespin is one of the most adorable Pokémon I ever laid my eyes on. Many people may find Quilladin, its second-stage evolution, to be a little bad looking, but I personally don't mind it. It might look like a volleyball, but the Pokémon is pretty gigantic. It's got a lot of bulk. Its final-stage, Chesnaught, is absolutely monstrous, which I really like! Its facial expression may not be too intimidating, but the design of its body is just… wow. o: Stats-wise, it has great Attack and Defense. Its base Attack stat is one-o-seven, which is certainly above-average. Its Defense stat is equal to approximately one-twenty, and with that amount, it should be able to take up to ten to twenty hits in a row without fainting. That, in my opinion, is pretty impressive! :)

Skalla

Drama Queen
    Years
  • Froakie, its the only one that doesn't evolve into something hideous. Tongue Scarf is much better than furry fanservice and a steroid hedgehog chestnut.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I chose Chespin in my Y version, and having to face Delphox with my rival, I found myself really wishing I chose Fennekin instead. Its special attack and speed combination is incredible.

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Chesnaught, he looks so ballin' and I like puns.

"It's Chesnaught workin' out, man."

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
    Years
  • I chose Fennekin on my second run through of Pokémon X yesterday. I was doing a Nuzlocke and got bored immediately though... I really didn't like it up until it evolved into Braixen though...

Seriously, what is wrong with Braixen's cry!? It scalds my ears! And both Fennekin and Braixen's designs looks hideous... Why must they put those huge chunks of fiery fur in their ears? I don't get it. Why did it have to be done? And they just look way too feminine for my liking, especially for a Pokémon that is almost always male. Ifut learned literally no good moves, except for Ember which already became outdated by the time we make it to Parfum Palace. It's Attack sucks so Flame Charge is almost unusable, not to mention it's already fast enough and doesn't need a speed boost. Chespin learns Bite and Rollout and Froakie learns Quick Attack and Lick. Fennekin learns... Howl. And it doesn't learn another attacking move at Lv. 9 (or was it 8?) like Chespin and Froakie. What a disappointment.

I won't judge right away and call it awful, but I'm definitely not impressed with this generation's Fire type so far. I restarted and chose Froakie and he's already really awesome. Adorable with a great movepool and workable stats. I've seen a few walkthroughs and with moves like Night Slash and Extrasensory in his future, I can definitely see where all of Froakie's love is coming from. Fennekin, so far, no so much...

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Greninja has better design.
    Plus , Does anyone notice that Greninja is the fastest starter Pokemon with base speed of 122 !!!

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2014
    Tbh, i find delphox really creepy. She looks like a witch or something.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Im my opinion, the Froakie line is the best Kalos starter line. They're gorgeous, fast, strong, and they learn great moves like Water Shuriken, Night Slash, and Extrasensory. Also, Froakie is very cute.

Chespin and Fennekin are also pretty cute, but the Chespin line is a little too ugly for me (except for Chesnaught, he's pretty cool) and the Fennekin line isn't very versatile.

Despite that, I still think I'm going to choose Fennekin in Pokemon X, but mostly because I want to give Clawitzer a shot.

Back