• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who do you prefer? Misty, Dawn, or May?

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
Years
  • May. She has the potential in contests, and she has very good rivals, and... er... she has Blaziken, Beautifly, and other kick-ass Pokemon!

Dawn is fine. Though being like Ash is fine, I just feel annoyed when she does something stupid, or anything.

Don't get me started on Misty.

Ascaris

boogey
    Years
  • I dislike May. She has virtually no personality throughout the whole advanced season and she didn't get much better in Battle Frontier.

Dawn is okay as a character... but gets annoying at times because she is the stereotyped excited, screaming girl.

Misty has the most original personality of all the girl characters but as the show went on she started loosing her quirks. It was a pain watching her through Johto because she had virtually none of the anger or snobbishness that she did in the early episodes of Kanto.

I don't really know. It's a tie between Misty and Dawn.

nakoma

gothic pokemon person
    Years
  • I dislike May because she never really got any better at what she did. She was pretty annoying too.

As for Dawn she still has that nooby character archatype but atleast she is better then May and who knows she might change as the series goes on.

Now to Misty. Misty was my favorite because she was never really nooby she allways had skills that matched or beat ash's depending on the situation. Not to mention her crush on ash made having her around a more interesting part of the plotline. She also seemed to keep ash focused on his goal be it her use of angry or force or just being his friend. And my last good point is she had a great character development, she was a very 3d character unlike may and dawn who are more 2d. With misty you met some of her family you seen her quirks (anger, fear of bug pokemon) you learn her back story and seen her emotions she is just an all around more developed character making here more interesting and making her the best of the three.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • S. Magumarashi said:
    My favorite is Dawn.

Misty was a great character in Kanto and OI, but she became super stale in Johto IMHO. Her gag about pulling Brock's ear became really old rather quickly and that was about the only thing she did in Johto, besides that horrible Whirl Cup and a few battles that didn't come quickly. Anyway, I like Misty now that she has become a Gym Leader and has a conclusion that I like.

May was a great character in her own right as well. I didn't like her the moment I saw her but with character development, she went from a whiney girl who hated pokémon and didn't want to be a trainer, to a girl that came into the Top 4, IIRC, of the Kanto Grand Festival and to someone who can travel by themselves (If she is anyway....). The thing that doesn't make May my favorite is the fact that she didn't appeal to me as much as I knew she could.

(For the people who don't like May because of Max, I agree that Max wasn't great but this allowed us to see May from different perspectives liike Togepi did with Misty.)

I like Dawn the most because she is like the combination of the two and Ash. She is eager about completing her goal. She wasn't as air-headed as May was in the beginning of her journey and she can get mad like Kanto/OI Misty. She also actually tries different things like Gym Battles, even though it was just to have Maylene get her confidence up. But of course, she also has bad sides such as how she usually uses Piplup and ignores her other pokémon.

(To people who think she is a whiner, it's called character development.)

This was my opinion the last time this thread was brought up. I still stand by my opinion and remember everyone, this is a biased statement I made and isn't meant to insult anyone. So yeah, I choose Hikari still.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Misty was a great character in Kanto and OI, but she became super stale in Johto IMHO. Her gag about pulling Brock's ear became really old rather quickly and that was about the only thing she did in Johto, besides that horrible Whirl Cup and a few battles that didn't come quickly.

Considering how and what I label as "doing things", as well as what I stated several times before as to what things she had as important to the cast as well as the Show, Let's just say we disagree.

Anyway, I like Misty now that she has become a Gym Leader and has a conclusion that I like.

Well, personally, I don't see how losing to a bunch of rookie trainers is even close to a conclusion to her goal (Especially considering how JJM are being labelled as "Pathetic Losers" because of this reason as it is, which doesn't seem any different from how Gym Leaders lose, and besides which, Ash is continuing on his Journey even though, if Misty stopping travel to become a GL makes her a pokemon Master, he should have just accepted the offer.), but meh, It's your opinion.

I like Dawn the most because she is like the combination of the two and Ash. She is eager about completing her goal. She wasn't as air-headed as May was in the beginning of her journey and she can get mad like Kanto/OI Misty.

Though things change... especially since now she IS acting more air-headed now (I think CC was complaining on how Dawn is acting extremely girly now.).

She also actually tries different things like Gym Battles, even though it was just to have Maylene get her confidence up.

Well, Misty had a bit more of a reason than just boosting her confidence when she challenged Dorian in a Gym match.

(To people who think she is a whiner, it's called character development.)

I... really don't see how "Whining" is even close to something like Character Development or especially a redeemable thing, especially since one of the reasons why one of my relatives absolutely hates "Love Hina" is because the girls in that series, you know, are whiney (That and being voluptuous bimboes, but whiney also describes them as well.).

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Considering how and what I label as "doing things", as well as what I stated several times before as to what things she had as important to the cast as well as the Show, Let's just say we disagree.
    Agreed.

Well, personally, I don't see how losing to a bunch of rookie trainers is even close to a conclusion to her goal (Especially considering how JJM are being labelled as "Pathetic Losers" because of this reason as it is, which doesn't seem any different from how Gym Leaders lose, and besides which, Ash is continuing on his Journey even though, if Misty stopping travel to become a GL makes her a pokemon Master, he should have just accepted the offer.), but meh, It's your opinion.
    Well, I guess her conclusion from the main cast after Johto and not her goal.

Though things change... especially since now she IS acting more air-headed now (I think CC was complaining on how Dawn is acting extremely girly now.).
    I never really edited it from the time I posted it the last time. I guess she has changed a bit now.

Well, Misty had a bit more of a reason than just boosting her confidence when she challenged Dorian in a Gym match.
    I was just explaining her open mindedness.

I... really don't see how "Whining" is even close to something like Character Development or especially a redeemable thing, especially since one of the reasons why one of my relatives absolutely hates "Love Hina" is because the girls in that series, you know, are whiney (That and being voluptuous bimboes, but whiney also describes them as well.).
    Well, she started off as a girl who really didn't like pokémon and just wanted to travel. She would whine that she was tired of walking, etc. By the end though, she had been in the Top 4 of the Grand Festival, traveling without her brother, and liking pokémon. I would call that a step up from what she was in the beginning of Advanced Generation.

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
  • Can we sticky this if we are constantly going to bring this up? And you're all sexists for ignoring the guys in these comparisons (bonus points for those who get the thread reference, negative points for those who don't realize this is a joke).

I really don't wish to say this again, but May is slightly above Dawn, simply because I have seen more of the former. I suspect a lot of people here like Misty purely for nostalgia filter reasons, because in all honesty, she wasn't all that great. For one thing, they limited her roster to only one type, particularly egregious as Brock didn't have this restriction despite also being a gym leader. This really prevented her from doing a lot of things "plot"-wise, leading to a bunch of contrived Water Pokemon events in Johto (and why emphasize one type anyways, when there are 14 as of Red/Blue other types in existence?). She's supposed to be a strong gym leader, but she rarely gets many opportunities to demonstrate it. People pick on May and Dawn for being less "strong", but that's bullcrap. Strength of character doesn't necessarily have to lead to an aggro persona, and May and Dawn are indeed strong determined girls aspiring towards a goal, and they demonstrate this much more. And what's with female stereotypes anyways? You don't see female lead characters take on such an active role in shonen anime every day, and I felt Misty was more of the stereotype being more of a companion, albeit less useless than other shonen female sidekicks. Don't even get me started on Pokeshipping.

DISCLAIMER: The above paragraph is not to be accepted as sole fact and serves primarily to counterbalance the discussion.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Well that was made for the US first then Japan...

So I don't know if that counts....

No, actually, the only "anime-related" thing that they ever made for the US was Pokemon Live, as absolutely zero percent of the Japanese had a hand in the making of that stage show.

As that episode/it's script was clearly made by the Japanese (otherwise, the opening wouldn't list all of those Japanese names in the credits), it still counts. They just decided to air it in the US first, that's all. It's not really all THAT much different than how Sonic X airs things (I mean, they were created in Japan, yet air everywhere else BEFORE Japan airs them).

@Porygonsquared: about your GL arguement, I viewed GLs as not being very strong, anyways (In fact, they are probably as strong as, if not marginally stronger than, JJM are, in reality). I mean, first off, the fact that they seem to lose to rookies isn't really convincing for me to believe that they are actually very strong trainers.

Heck, the worse case of GLs losing was in Hoenn. I mean, Yes, Ash was very experienced, but that doesn't mean that most of the pokemon on his team that isn't pikachu are experienced from the getgo, or especially that they should be able to take them down THAT easily. Heck, 3/4ths of the GLs in that region were pretty much joke wins (meaning, the way they were beaten were similar to JJM's losses, be it Deus Ex Machina, or a One Hit KO.). I mean, if it was his Kanto team, or heck, his Johto team who did this, I'd at least be more understanding, since they are more experienced (And by "Winning that way", I mean with actual skill than going "OMG Hyper mode" on us like Pikachu did with it's three wins in that region.)

Heck, Brock also got the short-end of the stick in terms of battling prowess. I mean, His Foretress lost to a rookie Cacnea, for goodness sakes! I mean, I understand that he doesn't enjoy battling, but that doesn't mean he should be treated as being a joke opponent of the likes of JJM.

As for your strength issue, It's far more than just aggressiveness, it's also trying to save someone no matter the cost (and if they can't save them, it's only because the task IS too impossible). I mean, at least Dawn tried to save Pikachu from TR with that Mechlekid (though I DO wish she also tried to climb up the machine. I mean, if Ash could do it, she can as well.), When Manaphy was kidnapped by Phantom in her movie, did May even TRY to save it (if not by swimming to it, then at least using her Squirtle)? No, she never even tried.

The only time that I remembered where Misty EVER hesitated in regards to saving someone was Oddish, which even then, that's only because She didn't have a flying type at the time (and an ACTUAL water/flying type, at that.), and even IF she did, it would have been far too risky to actually try to use one to save oddish, because it would have had a high probability of being sucked in as well. (Before anyone mentions Pidgeotto, I should point out that the only reason why Ash was able to use Pidgeotto without worry was because Bulbasaur was able to whip the hose into submission, thus preventing it from sucking up anything. Also, Bulbasaur was gripping the soil to avoid being sucked in (as evidenced by it's relative difficulty in regards to getting back to the hut.).).

PorygonSquared

Years
  • @Porygonsquared: about your GL arguement, I viewed GLs as not being very strong, anyways (In fact, they are probably as strong as, if not marginally stronger than, JJM are, in reality). I mean, first off, the fact that they seem to lose to rookies isn't really convincing for me to believe that they are actually very strong trainers.

Heck, the worse case of GLs losing was in Hoenn. I mean, Yes, Ash was very experienced, but that doesn't mean that most of the pokemon on his team that isn't pikachu are experienced from the getgo, or especially that they should be able to take them down THAT easily. Heck, 3/4ths of the GLs in that region were pretty much joke wins (meaning, the way they were beaten were similar to JJM's losses, be it Deus Ex Machina, or a One Hit KO.). I mean, if it was his Kanto team, or heck, his Johto team who did this, I'd at least be more understanding, since they are more experienced (And by "Winning that way", I mean with actual skill than going "OMG Hyper mode" on us like Pikachu did with it's three wins in that region.)

Everwhat? This has to do with Misty being more companion-like how? And please explain your rationale, because your arguments seem fallacious. Come-from-behind wins are a typical television cliche, not a sign of weakness on the part of the opponent.

As for your strength issue, It's far more than just aggressiveness, it's also trying to save someone no matter the cost (and if they can't save them, it's only because the task IS too impossible). I mean, at least Dawn tried to save Pikachu from TR with that Mechlekid (though I DO wish she also tried to climb up the machine. I mean, if Ash could do it, she can as well.), When Manaphy was kidnapped by Phantom in her movie, did May even TRY to save it (if not by swimming to it, then at least using her Squirtle)? No, she never even tried.

https://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/390.shtml
    Aah, the joys of letting one speak for itself.

The only time that I remembered where Misty EVER hesitated in regards to saving someone was Oddish, which even then, that's only because She didn't have a flying type at the time (and an ACTUAL water/flying type, at that.), and even IF she did, it would have been far too risky to actually try to use one to save oddish, because it would have had a high probability of being sucked in as well. (Before anyone mentions Pidgeotto, I should point out that the only reason why Ash was able to use Pidgeotto without worry was because Bulbasaur was able to whip the hose into submission, thus preventing it from sucking up anything. Also, Bulbasaur was gripping the soil to avoid being sucked in (as evidenced by it's relative difficulty in regards to getting back to the hut.).).

We got the point in the first segment of the run-on sentence about your beloved Mary Sue (not that I believe Misty actually is one, but that's beside the point).

*~Frost Umbreon~*

TURN OFF YOUR ORPHANS.
    Years
  • If Kris were traveling with Ash in the Pokemon Johto show, I would so choose her.

But meh, otherwise I choose Misty. She's a Water-type trainer, and she was a pain to beat in Yellow. (Is it just me, or were my Pokemon underleveled?) She's also the bad-arse type of trainer.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Everwhat? This has to do with Misty being more companion-like how? And please explain your rationale, because your arguments seem fallacious. Come-from-behind wins are a typical television cliche, not a sign of weakness on the part of the opponent.

Well, since you mentioned how Misty was supposed to be a "strong gym leader", and yet we never saw Misty having any actual strength, I was retorting that, IMO, GL's aren't really strong, anyways.

And anyways, I have explained it countless times, I even mentioned it on the Hoenn review thread back at BMGf, yet you decided to refer to me as an idiot (Even though some people actually thought that my/CB's point was good, for once.), so I showed my source, and BTW, Chaos Blazer had some very good points. In fact, out of all the points of how Ash's wins against GL's were just terrible, the only point that was purely my OWN observation was the Roxanne one (and PLEASE don't say I can't think for myself or that I am unintelligent just because I take what people say, because, if that's the case, then School is actually downgrading our independence/intelligence since If we don't "parrot out" whatever the teacher says, we get "F"s, among other things.).

Besides, Ash and Co. had gotten come-from-behind wins from TR, and yet, despite that (or because of that, I can't tell which one it is, really), the fanbase refers to JJM as completely hopless, pathetic weakling losers.

https://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/390.shtml
    Aah, the joys of letting one speak for itself.

Ok, that's ONE near death saving. which, while not AS much as Ash, Brock, Misty's and possibly even dawn's acts, it's still enough for me to say that she isn't a TOTAL coward (Though she still is big enough of one, anyways.)

I'm not even going to respond to the other one.

PorygonSquared

Years
  • (and PLEASE don't say I can't think for myself or that I am unintelligent just because I take what people say, because, if that's the case, then School is actually downgrading our independence/intelligence since If we don't "parrot out" whatever the teacher says, we get "F"s, among other things.).

Tell me, do you actually think that's a good way of learning? That model has been criticized in recent years for the reason you stated, and some teachers/professors have attempted to break from the staleness by emphasizing critical thinking and imagination. Personally, I learn best through the latter as well.

Ok, that's ONE near death saving. which, while not AS much as Ash, Brock, Misty's and possibly even dawn's acts, it's still enough for me to say that she isn't a TOTAL coward (Though she still is big enough of one, anyways.)

And how many times have you saved a person from near death? I won't lie, my record is zero. That puts me on the scale of cowardice at Captain Jack Sparrow. How lovely.

I'm not even going to respond to the other one.

A wise decision.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Tell me, do you actually think that's a good way of learning? That model has been criticized in recent years for the reason you stated, and some teachers/professors have attempted to break from the staleness by emphasizing critical thinking and imagination. Personally, I learn best through the latter as well.

If it lessens my chances of getting Alzheimers, yes. Hey, I don't necessarily like it either, but I have to endure it, anyways. As for critical thinking, The ones we have still get graded anyways if we answer the question. Meaning, even the "Critical thinking" questions aren't really "Critical thinking" questions (In fact, I'd argue that there is no such thing as critical thinking.). Besides, I earned my As and Bs, anyways, so that in itself proves that I'm not as stupid as you might claim.

And how many times have you saved a person from near death? I won't lie, my record is zero. That puts me on the scale of cowardice at Captain Jack Sparrow. How lovely.

I did try and save a butterfly from being in the middle of the road (Yes, I care for life that much.), and I might have tried to save some insects from being killed by fumes in the house (or at least tried to.). for humans, well to be honest, I haven't really been in a situation that called for it. I know that one time there was a car parked on the highway, I was going to offer help, but Dad told me to concentrate on learning how to drive, first.

A wise decision.

Yes, especially since it wasn't worth arguing anyways.

EDIT: Anyways, Can we please end this arguement, PorygonSquared?

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    This thread looks to be interesting...

Dawn, she's confident, can stand up for herself, is able to take charge and take part and although she went through a depression, she was able to take a step back and get out of it and even win against her mum's friend. I'd also say much more optimistic than the others "daijoubu/no need to worry" are quite optimistic sayings, more so than May's "kamo", anyway haha. And she has to put up with her horrid mum. I think the reason she joined Ash is because she wanted friends rather than needed much help.

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    Misty, because of her vaguer, more multifaceted and what I see to be more dynamic and complex nature, that was a catalyst for her moods. Not necessarily depth as that's what can be related to - I see depth as something divergent. But I still think May and Dawn are good characters, just not memorable enough to partake the main cast for as long as they have (though I think May is a might bit of a product of Max), but that's my opinion (but that has more to do with justification above all, rather than saying there's a "bad or good character", from my view). To their defense, though, they were treated as heroines and had the right amount of accentuation, unlike Misty who only became a background for Ash and Brock's actions later on and furthermore just deterred Ash's growth the whole way for me, and Misty had a sporadic departure that was built up in a rather dreck way. But yeah, on the maturing point I'm glad Ash "evolved" into the mentor role once May came.

But I'd say I like Misty best. Her VAs might have some pertinence with that, but that's all I'll say on that matter.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    I'm more of a fan of May.She has evolved Pokemon,great appeals,and she's in my favorite region,Hoenn^^.Go Glaceon! C=

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I dislike May because she never really got any better at what she did. She was pretty annoying too.

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard of. May consistently got better throughout each region.

Dawn is probably my favorite overall.

Misty is overrated.

Lukespade

Poke'mon Author
    Years
  • That's the dumbest thing I ever heard of. May consistently got better throughout each region.

Dawn is probably my favorite overall.

Misty is overrated.

I agree that may got better. im sorry but to say the may didnt get any better is like sayin ash never got any better. it jst doesn't make any sense. i dont thnk misty is over rated but i do prefer dawn

Back