• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who is your least favourite PokeSpec. Character?

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • SuperLink said:
    GREEN'S PARENTS.
    Great character development for Green and all, I'm happy for her, truly I am, but I think they're mutes. Seriously, maybe Green was wrong about her parents and those two just adopted her? Do the writers really not want any parent/child discussion at all? No words from her parents after she makes a long speech at them? It really annoys me.

They're not even characters, they're just "Green-related-key-item"s.

Second this and well said. They're probably the least favorite characters in my book, as well as Sird.

System!

HM....................... .....
    Years
  • Ugh, I don't think Blue's parents were well-written at all. Did Kusaka have a horrible relationship with his parents or something? Parents really don't seem to click with their children at all or even have a well-maintained relationship with them: Giovanni was the leader of a criminal group; Norman's story seemed to be a bit understandable but if you don't read that far into the story, it's natural if you assume ZOMGCHILDABUSER; Blue's incredibly mute parents; Koga apparently encouraged his daughter to be a villain and presumedly ditches her for a long time (if there is a HGSS manga, I hope this is addressed); and Crys's mom is...scary. Well, at least she doesn't throw a staircase at her daughter.

Clover Cat

Child of Gold and Crystal
    Years
  • Agreed over and out. Parents don't really seem to click in Pokespe, do they? But it's kinda understandable, if you think about it. Normal parents probably wouldn't be like, "Hey, kid! I heard you want to go on a life threatening adventure and travel the world all by yourself while battling alongside powerful beasts that could destroy the world if they wanted to, and I just wanted you to know I'll support you all the way!" I know mine wouldn't. Although I WOULD like it if some parents weren't just...Ignored to make these kid's adventures start up without any outside interference. It's just a mistake that shouldn't happen in a manga that has so much plot like Pokespe does.

SuperLink

Lost focus when she dissed me!
    Years
  • I don't have many problems with the other parents. Obviously Giovanni is a prick and whatnot, so he's destined to be a bad father. I thought Norman's relationship with Ruby was actually very interesing. Even if it wasn't particularly "realistic", I had no complaints and I enjoyed every bit of it. Speaking of unrealistic parents, I haven't read much of D/P but I'm not sure what to think of Platina's indifferent dad. For such a pampered little girl, her father doesn't seem to care much that he hasn't heard from her.

Also I thought Crys' mum was awesome. She totally came out of nowhere too; not what I expected, but I think Crys needed that.

But I really, really, just can't stand Green's parents. I facepalm every time I see them, because I just know what's going to "come out of their mouths".
    "..." *nod* *tears*

as well as Sird.
    There's another character I really don't like, although a large part of it is probably my usual aversion to manga only/original characters.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
    Years
  • I guess in the Pokemon world, kids rule than the parents do. Perhaps an adult's level of IQ is less than the average IQ of a ten year old?

TheSystemIsDown said:
    Parents really don't seem to click with their children at all or even have a well-maintained relationship with them: Giovanni was the leader of a criminal group; Norman's story seemed to be a bit understandable but if you don't read that far into the story, it's natural if you assume ZOMGCHILDABUSER; Blue's incredibly mute parents; Koga apparently encouraged his daughter to be a villain and presumedly ditches her for a long time (if there is a HGSS manga, I hope this is addressed); and Crys's mom is...scary. Well, at least she doesn't throw a staircase at her daughter.

I have nothing against Gio, Norman, Koga, or Crystal's mom. Gio's story makes sense, and I actually found nothing wrong with Norman, ironically it's normal. He wasn't a child abuser. He was ashamed of his past mistakes and since then was very tough on his son. Koga just disappeared without telling his daughter of his whereabouts. By the end of Cerise Island, it didn't look like Koga was the villain we knew from R/G/B. This is the same with Lt. Surge and Sabrina, they all decided to move on from their past lives. Did Koga make an appearance in G/S/C? Crystal's was the more eccentric.

System!

Years
  • I myself have nothing against said parents either (some are my favorite characters -gestures to avvie-). I'm not saying Norman was a child abuser, I'm just saying that some people might assume that, if they don't look too far into his story. I think it was mighty nice for the guy to let his son enter contests, but Ruby was far too impatient for that to happen. So, I guess it could be the fault of the child this time.

I'm not saying all these parents are the worst examples of parents, but they're not the best examples, either. Norman is okay, though. He sacrificed his reputation to cover up for his son's mess, and when his son is acting out, preferring contests over battles, one can't help but be a little peeved off at him.

Crys's mother is all right, also (while slapping Crys did seem kind of crude at first, it was to make Crys snap out of it and keep going). And you can throw Gold's mother into the okay mix, too. It's just that most of the parents presented in Special aren't easy to sympathize with at first.

Yes, Koga did disappear without telling Janine, but that still doesn't seem right. We're lucky that this is the pokemon world, since stuff like a disappeared parent can make one traumatized or cause the child to hate their parent in the real world. In the pokemon world, lack of parents is the norm, apparently. And yes, Koga did make an appearance or three in GSC. In one chapter, Janine has a flashback:
    Spoiler:

mygodiknewhewasgayforgiovanniwhoelsehasapictureofhisboss He pretty did encourage Janine to join the dark side 'cause they have cookies. I'm not saying he's doing this now. It just didn't seem to be a good idea back then. Oh them ninjas and having to serve someone.

And in the chapter where Janine was battling Falkner, she thought she saw him (as a silhouette) in the crowd and went after him, therefore forfeighting the game. Since she couldn't find him, and Falkner went after her, they both had a little talk on how similar their backgrounds were. They presumedly went after Mr. Mystery Man (whether it was Koga or not is up to the writers) and whether they found him or not is up to the writers (woo, deja vu).

And in one of those "Last Battle" chapters, Koga and Bruno make an appearance to help Green and Red get to the Ilex Forest. Koga makes a little speech on how he was saved by Bruno when Cerise Island was coming apart and spending a year with him gave him the oppurtunity to be his own boss and enjoy battling a bit more (seeing as he was always following orders from Giovanni). So yeah, Koga is no longer a bad guy and I just pwned myself. Yay for character development!

Man, now I want to see a father-daughter reunion in the presumed HGSS manga. I just want to see how it'll turn out, with Koga meeting his daughter as a reformed man.

Long off-topic post is long and off-topic.

I know I already said it earlier, but Green's becoming to be my least favorite PokeSpe character. I can't explain it, but there's something about that kid I don't like.

Last edited:

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
    Years
  • I dunno, all of these parents (except Crystal's and definitely Blue's) seem okay to me. They look almost realistic, as it could happen. Let's hope in the end that in Koga's case, Janine find out why her father disappeared like that. When he does return, I agree he will be a different person.

Clover Cat

Child of Gold and Crystal
    Years
  • Crys' mom is the epic mom I never had. She totally loves to have fun and be enthusiastic, but she's not afraid to be serious and snap her kid out of depression.

Now THERE'S some parental guidance, if you ask me.

Norman is also epic. He went out and dealt in dark matters of Legendary Pokemon as a Gym Leader, just to protect his family. Don't have a problem with that. If only he used his head and tried to approach Ruby less...Violently.

Koga needs to make a comeback. Dang it, Koga, you and other parents need to stop disappearing! And be more important!! Well, at least he TALKS, unlike some people...*Stares pointedly at two characters in the background*

And Gold's mom is probably the most normal parent out of all of them. Other than Ruby's mom, of course.

While we're on the subject of Janine and Falkner and their missing fathers, what happened to Falkner's dad, anyway? Did he even make an appearance in the manga previously? I'm curious, because I really can't remember anything about this.

System!

Years
  • Crys' mom is the epic mom I never had. She totally loves to have fun and be enthusiastic, but she's not afraid to be serious and snap her kid out of depression.

Now THERE'S some parental guidance, if you ask me.

Norman is also epic. He went out and dealt in dark matters of Legendary Pokemon as a Gym Leader, just to protect his family. Don't have a problem with that. If only he used his head and tried to approach Ruby less...Violently.

Koga needs to make a comeback. Dang it, Koga, you and other parents need to stop disappearing! And be more important!! Well, at least he TALKS, unlike some people...*Stares pointedly at two characters in the background*

And Gold's mom is probably the most normal parent out of all of them. Other than Ruby's mom, of course.

While we're on the subject of Janine and Falkner and their missing fathers, what happened to Falkner's dad, anyway? Did he even make an appearance in the manga previously? I'm curious, because I really can't remember anything about this.

Now that I think about it, Crys's mom is pretty cool. She seems to be the type that doesn't back off easily. She sorta reminds me of my mom. Gah, my post concerning parents came off a little heated. I really wasn't in a good mood when I posted that.

Oh god, why am I imagining Norman, Koga, and Crys's mom giving Blue's parents a lecture on how to be proper PokeSpe parents?

Crys's mom: MY GAWD, STOP CRYING WOMAN! -smack-
    Norman: YOU FINALLY FOUND YOUR DAUGHTER, AND THAT'S ALL YOU DO!? -throws staircase-
    Koga: GROW SOME VOCAL CHORDS, FOR GAWD'S SAKE! -stabs-
    Blue's parents: ...-cries-

On Falkner's father...I seriously don't know. At the PokeSpe club, somebody provided me with a scan supposedly showing Falker's father, but it was on Mangafox and I really didn't want to risk a virus.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
    Years
  • clover_bookcat said:
    Crys' mom is the epic mom I never had. She totally loves to have fun and be enthusiastic, but she's not afraid to be serious and snap her kid out of depression.

Hmm, when you put it this way, it does sound right. She'd still scare me though.

Nothing near abusive, but it looks alright to me.

I agree, and Ruby's mom was charming when she freaked out her boy was missing. Also in the flashback when she cheered for Norman's gym leader test.

TheSystemIsDown said:
    Crys's mom: MY GAWD, STOP CRYING WOMAN! -smack-
    Norman: YOU FINALLY FOUND YOUR DAUGHTER, AND THAT'S ALL YOU DO!? -throws staircase-
    Koga: GROW SOME VOCAL CHORDS, FOR GAWD'S SAKE! -stabs-
    Blue's parents: ...-cries-

lol that's too violent for Norman. A staircase...really?

But that's all Blue's parents are good at. Cowering and crying. Pathetic...

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2014
    all of them are great but my least is maybe yellow
    cause her team,her team are strong but not as fierce as red or green

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • Roxanne, I know shes sorta a minor character is the Ruby/Sapphire volume but the way they got her personality in the manga kinda got on my nerves.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    lol I am not such a fan of emerald. He is just meh.hes quite cute when he doesnt dress up that stupidly but sicne he hardly does so he is just meh.

red king

The Sky Of Your World
    Years
  • well i hate Silver because he is the typical Emo character that child hood was a mess grow up and be like Red che... i really hate that guy but he is useful because he is the evolver so yeah i hate Silver

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • Aww, all of the Emerald hate ;___; I love Emerald.

My least favourite PokéSpec character would probably be Lieutenant Surge. (I knooow, but I don't dislike any of the 'main' characters). HIS FACE ANNOYS ME, IDK. And he didn't kidnap Blue and ~hypnotise him into doing his every bidding~ like Koga kekekeke. :3

SkyBlue

I'm in love...with Ash!
    Years
  • It has to be that Sabrina. My eyes just popped when I read the chapters in which she was responsible for a lot of things. Seriously, she stunk in the manga. The anime was better.

I even threw my manga at the wall when I read that page wherein Blue (Green?) challenged her to a battle and Sabrina made one of her Pokemon slash Blue's "boobs" off. Lucky they were really Pokeballs, but I tell you, I puked!

Back