• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Who was the most difficult gym leader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    About Whitney's difficulty... I have to say she's got a good line-up of Pokemon, but I find her difficulty rating mainly comes from the fact that you have to face her so early in the game. You don't exactly get an all-star selection of wild Pokemon to pick from before Goldenrod City, and the Pokemon you do get usually don't have the greatest movesets at their current levels. Competing against an already-strong Pokemon with moves like Stomp and Rollout, not to mention Milk Drink, is a nightmare. I won by trying to strategize as much as I could with the rather sub-par movesets I had to work with. Quilava's Smokescreen and Flaaffy's Thunder Wave and Thundershock were the moves that eventually downed Miltank in my game. Surprisingly, Miltank didn't use Rollout once against me, but its Stomp attack took off a good 40-50% of my Pokemon's HP in one go, and Milk Drink... yeah. Just made the battle drag on and on.

Another thing about Whitney's Pokemon is that Normal Pokemon have only one real weakness, Fighting. Are there any fighting Pokemon you can capture before reaching Goldenrod City? There probably aren't that many.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    Another thing about Whitney's Pokemon is that Normal Pokemon have only one real weakness, Fighting. Are there any fighting Pokemon you can capture before reaching Goldenrod City? There probably aren't that many.

That's probably why so many people had trouble with her. I think the first place to get a fighter is Mt. Mortar where wild Machop roam free.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2007
    I didn't struggle at all with Whitney but I thought Jasmine was pretty difficult since you had very little time and places to train after beating Chuck. I also had a lot easier time with Pryce than Jasmine.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    I just thought. Is it possible to skip Jasmine's gym and go straight to Mahagony town, do the lake of rage stuff, and fight Pryce? They probably wouldn't have Lance show up until you fight Jasmine but you could level up at the Lake o' Rage

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2007
    I've wondered about that as well. It may be possible so I may try it one day. But still, Jasmine's highest is level 35 and Pryce's highest is level 31.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 8, 2009
    Claire was hardest to me, although I didn't lost to her, but it's really hard, the kingdra has no weakness...

Uh... Dragon...

really.....what was your team composed of? which starter did you pick?....just wondering...

This, I think, was my team at the time:
    Drowzee
    Bayleef
    Gedude/Graveler (I can't remember which. xP)

So, I really only had three Pokemon.

Manaphy1128

We're Making Gods
    Years
    Although i did need one tiny little rematch with Whitney,The rest were total pushovers!This may be beacause of my over-trained Typhloshin.

Shining Salamence

Master of all things cool
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2011
    Um, you CAN get a fighting pokemon in goldenrod city.

The guy on the roof of the megamart will trade you a machop for his drowzee.

I pwned Whitney with it ^_^

but anyway, the hardest leader has to be Clair. It took a lot to wear her down. I ended up using my Hypno a lot for her, since sleep works well to keep that little devil at bay... hehehe

Ariel

tsugi no mai, hakuren.
    Years
    I found that Chuck, the Gym Leader from Cianwood City, hardest. I found that his Poliwrath was a total pain in the neck to beat. Damn you DynamicPunch! All the others I found pretty easy, and had little problems with.

Jasmine was annoying without a solid fire-type to back you up, though. Her Steelix is tough to take unless you picked Cyndaquil as your starting Pokemon.

Years
    In Crystal, you have to trade an Abra for the Machop. Good thing you can buy them in that game at the Game Corner for only 100 coins, because I really don't want to go through all the trouble of trying to catch one. Stupid Teleport...

I don't really care for Machop that much, but I might raise one. I'm kind of getting sick of that Miltank whooping all my Pokemon.

For some reason, I remember hating Chuck's Poliwrath too. I don't remember exactly why, I just remember hating it. I'm training a Bellsprout this time around, though, so that should make things a little easier. Hopefully.

I usually use water Pokemon against Jasmine's Steelix and fire Pokemon against her Magnemites.

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years
    Who was the most difficult Gym Leader?

Well, of course, Clair. Man, I think that battle lasted forever, since I was always undertrained. Specially because of her Kingdra, good thing now I love Kingdra because of that ^^

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Whitney was absolute hell for me to beat. I didn't think of catching Fighting types early on in the games, and I didn't even know what was super effective against normal types way back when GSC came out, so I had no idea how to take down that horrid Miltank. Clefairy was easy, and all the Gym Trainers had like Meowths and Jigglypuffs, so I thought it would be a breeze, then she comes out with this Miltank that I've never seen before, and it's got great Defense and HP stat. Back when GSC were the latest games, I was an idiotic trainer that only trained my starter Pokemon and caught a few others which remained at Lv.4, so I had to rely on my Quilava to hopefully burn the Miltank with Ember, and hope that Miltank runs out of Milk Drink PP.

I finally did it, and it was one of the toughest battles I had in that generation. xD

Roihu

In America
    Years
    Whitney was damn annoying with her attract and Rollout on my quilava.
    I had to get myself a lot of strength to beat it.

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
    Claire was increadably simple for me. I just trained my pokemon very high then bought about 20 full restores and revives. Then beat her very easily. (I did this on my GBA. This was before I knew about gameshark and VBA). Whitney was hard for me starting out.

But the pokemon league was simple for me as well. I just did the same thing and bought about 50 full restores and 30 revives and I beat them so easily.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back