• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Whose design did they ruin the most?

Whose redesign is the worst?

• May

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • Maxie

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Tabitha

Votes: 54 47.8%
  • Archie

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Shelly

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other

Votes: 18 15.9%

• Total voters

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
  • Tabitha, he look more awesome in the original, I mean I don't mind that he is big, but they made him loss his awesomeness.

Shelly, I don't know why they didn't keep the red hair. Looks much better.

Most of all though is May. I do not like that they traded her bandanna for a bow. It just does not match her at all.

Years
  • I have to agree that they ruined Tabitha... he was a pretty cool dude but now he just looks like Tierno joined Team Magma. His expression also makes him look obnoxious and cocky... more so than the original.
    Shelly was already cool but then they went and changed her whole appearance... I just don't like when they change characters that already existed. If that new Shelly was a new character... I'd be all for it. But Shelly will always be a redhead in my mind.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Gonna vote 'none' here despite there being no option for that. (??)

Because I like all of the redesigns and find them a lot more suiting than their original counterparts. I'm sorry but Tabitha and Shelly look way better than they did before. Archie looks like a tougher, scarier version of his old self. And I like the fact that Maxie now looks like the polar opposite of Archie, which is what he is. Analytical, lanky, level-headed.. he just looks like he fits the bill of Maxie's opposite now.

Looking at Archie now, I think that his desire to expand the sea is because 'that's what he wants to do and that's what'll be done'. And when I look at Maxie now, I think his desire to expand the land is because 'it's the intelligent thing to do'. Shelly suits the 'pirate-y' appearance that Team Aqua now has (which I love), and Tabitha is all huge and jovial looking, as though he'd follow Maxie to the ends of the earth. (Which is what Maxie wants out of him, obviously)

I honestly can find nothing about these redesigns that I hate. :(

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • First of all: Shelly I like your design, but you're not a red head anymore. Nuuuuu.... :c

Secondly, my reaction to Tabitha was akin to this http://youtu.be/UP6632_2iyA?t=3s

And while I dislike May's artwork (her legs seem so... long and weirdly thin), I actually really like her design.

Ultimately, I decided to go with Tabitha, because of obvious reasons.

Sushimmi

Transformice <3
    Years
  • Everytime someone talks about May and Brendan, I compare it with Avant Garde's avatar...

Brendan might have gotten his brown hair from his mom, and both their eyes look just plain weird.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • What's so wrong with Tabitha's new design guys? Are you people saying fat people can't be intimidating or evil looking cause I personally think he still looks intimidating.

I really don't like Shelly's new design much. I preferred her red hair cause it had more of a pirate vibe to it (cause I always thought of Team Aqua as the pirates of Pokemon). Her new not so much and the artwork makes it look like she broke her spine trying to do a cool pose.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • What's so wrong with Tabitha's new design guys? Are you people saying fat people can't be intimidating or evil looking cause I personally think he still looks intimidating.

People are generally unhappy because it's so dramatically different than every other design he's had. All of his other designs were also noticeably more rugged and intimidating, as an evil group admin should be, than... the current one. Large, to me, doesn't denote intimidation so he's really just like a friendly red bear in my eyes. :P

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    People are generally unhappy because it's so dramatically different than every other design he's had. All of his other designs were also noticeably more rugged and intimidating, as an evil group admin should be, than... the current one. Large, to me, doesn't denote intimidation so he's really just like a friendly red bear in my eyes. :P

Can't say I agree.

The guy's an admin for a reason, and I highly doubt it's because he is friendly. You mustn't judge a book by it's cover. I know that saying is very overused, but it really applies here. Expecting Tabitha to be any less 'evil' than he was before just for gaining a new appearance is a rather naive expectation in my opinion. Though I do expect fierce loyalty to Maxie being a part of his overall character now, I doubt that he's any less terrifying than the rest of the team.

Even if by some chance he happens to be comedic relief this time around (which is possible for anyone really), I have no objections.
    It's definitely better than his lacking character from before.

My problem with all of the previous character designs and personalities before is that they were all completely generic. They really didn't have anything special about them. No characterization, nothing to make them stand out amongst each other. To me, the character redesigns have completely taken away their original looks and replaced them with unique and interesting looking people. They no longer look like clones of one another and there's really nothing 'thrown together' about them anymore.

My apologies if I bug anyone with these thoughts, but I seriously think it was a positive step to change everyone so drastically.

Creativity took a major play here and I think we should appreciate that they put a lot of thought into our old admins and leaders!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • The previous characters hardly looked like "clones." The fact that they lacked characterization is very true, but their designs were fine, especially the Aqua Admins. A little revamp is always good, and while they stand out from each other, it doesn't make it any easier to digest that the character has pretty much completely changed and it's an odd transition for some. :P

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
  • His hair always was brown. If that's your only qualm, that's not very fair!

His hair was actually black. Check out his sideburns in his official artwork for Emerald. It's because
    Spoiler:

Don't know if the spoiler was necessary, but yeah. xD

Years
  • What's so wrong with Tabitha's new design guys? Are you people saying fat people can't be intimidating or evil looking cause I personally think he still looks intimidating..
    They usually never feel convincing, especially when the side-kick of a skinny leader. Anime has created the stereotype that fat people with dopey expressions are always hints that they are bumbling.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    I choosed Tabitha... like many here did from what I read.

He still may be intimidating but he will never be like the old Tabitha and never be taking as serius as the old one. They never should have changed as much as they did.

Shelly is better but still she should have kept the red hair.

I see people complaining about Brendans hair now being brown instead of black. Red's hair was black too but most people didn't had issues when they changed it to brown too. I really hated it that the Red from Fire Red looks to different from the priginal games.

MichaelSK16

Pokemon Connoisseur
    Years
  • Meh I'm not crazy about either protagonist really. May's face looks really odd, and I think it's because her eyes literally have no color and it creeps me out. She should have blue eyes like the original. Brendan looks awkward too. He has a realistic skin tone/tan for someone from a tropical region, but his eyes (those demonic, colorless, empty eyes) and hair don't match up with it. I think his eyes should be brown and his hair should be darker. I'm not too worried about their outfits because I'm praying that they continue with clothing customization. That being said, the wet suit-type clothing was a weird choice for both. if they wanted to aim for something suitable for a tropical region, I would have thought swim trunks and a button-down shirt would have been cool for Brendan. For May I liked the original look, mainly because when I think of female "tropical" clothing I think of clothing that is way too feminine for an explorer girl, but then again I'm no women's clothing expert.

And then there's...Tabitha.... He had an awful name in the originals, and now they've just matched it with his redesign.

Years

For me it's more that he already had a really cool design (at least in the manga) and they didn't use that. I suppose his anime appearance is fairly generic and they might have wanted to switch it up to give him a more unique appearance, but I'd have loved to have seen his manga design in game. Courtney's as well. Ah well, it's only a minor gripe; I'm likely to get Alpha Sapphire anyway.

Years
  • Gonna vote 'none' here despite there being no option for that. (??)
    Because I like all of the redesigns and find them a lot more suiting than their original counterparts. I'm sorry but Tabitha and Shelly look way better than they did before.
    How exactly? What about Tabitha's new Design improves on its old one? Why is him being fat and dopey better than him being tall and scary?

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • Honestly, it's Tabitha who looks the "worst" - at least, compared to his past sef. May and Brendan look pretty derpy, but at least they look like themselves, and the ability to customize them to fit what we want dampens my complaints against them. The entirety of Team Magma just looks less intimidating for some reason, but at least Maxie has a scary chessmaster feel to him. Team Aqua actually looks pretty edgy and legitimately frightening, and they feel more like villians as a result.

But Tabitha. What is this, Game Freak? Not only did you give the guy a girl's name, you made him FAT. It's like his entire existence is a joke. It's just comes offf as ridiculous.

Oh, and it's difficult to make an earnest grin intimidating. Great design choice there. GF.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    How exactly? What about Tabitha's new Design improves on its old one? Why is him being fat and dopey better than him being tall and scary?
    Tabitha hardly looks tall or scary in the games. He's a generic looking grunt with a cape.

His personality doesn't indicate much of anything either. He's simply Maxie's right hand man. He could look like just about anything and it would still be fitting. The new design isn't an improvement or a step back really.

Here is all of his dialogue from Ruby (It's not much):
    Spoiler:

Back