• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Why are games just aiming for 721 pokemon?

Voultronix

Pokemon Fossil Creator
Years
  • Every second game seems to be pushing for all 721 pokemon , if you havent seen uranium yet it features 180 of its own pokemon , why arent more people creating fakemon games? yes fair enought there are some out there but if you look there are lots of fakemon spriters out there. OF course some players prefer original pokemin but then that being said there are enough games which offer that. just some food for thought if your making a game!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Good fakemon are hard to do. I don't think there's quite as many fakemon spriters as you think, especially not enough that aren't wanting to make their own game and are interesting in development.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2023
    Actually, it's not just 'some' players. I've noticed quite a few people don't want to play a game that has fakemon in it. I've also noticed quite a few people who don't like 721 games. I myself am going for about 250, which is a lot all things considered, but only has a handful of fakemon in it. I tried to choose only pokemon that work for my region.

Years
  • I don't know but fan games that have fakemon often just go for a normal story line. I have played Pokemon SPECTRUM which has really good fakemon, also Pokemon Sage and Pokemon Ethereal Gates but all of then have just a normal Pokemon storyline as far as I have progressed in them. In my game there are no 721 or fakemon however I have a possibility of adding them. However I'm not a good spriter I'm like a noob pixel artist that sometimes gets some things good so I would need a pixel artist that is good. I also talked about this in this thread that I created https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=374609

Years
  • ^ Fakemon take so much time to make: initial designs, sprites, stats, movesets takes a while. It leaves little time to creat an innovative plot structure. If one had a whole paying staff like gamefreak shit then you'd see both. But most people are using their spare time and energy for these games and there simply isn't enough.

This is why game is limiting the fakemon available to about 60 (about half are new megas) + innovative spin on the formula (shameless advertisting.) I like the Kalos style where there are 450 before the gym leader and have the rest be available in the postgame. That is the model which I find very effective because due to the number of pokes at your disposal, you can have a more varied, balanced experience.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    One thing i regret about Fakemon is that usually the best ones are made on commission... Very few of them are free of use. Which in a way is not in the interest of the designer, since its Fakemon is less spread.
    Anyway, few of them are in the right format for Essentials, few of them have backsprites, and fewer are animated...
    So this is simply a lot of stuff to do. And creating and coding new moves/abilities/types is also taking some time.

Years
  • One thing i regret about Fakemon is that usually the best ones are made on commission... Very few of them are free of use. Which in a way is not in the interest of the designer, since its Fakemon is less spread.
    Anyway, few of them are in the right format for Essentials, few of them have backsprites, and fewer are animated...
    So this is simply a lot of stuff to do. And creating and coding new moves/abilities/types is also taking some time.

there are people that do great fakemons but as you said they are not in format por rmxp great fakemons are just made in digital art. A great digital artist fakemon creator I know of is Smiley-Fakemon he does great fakemons I've gained permission from him to do them in pixel art but with so many things to do I don't have enough time.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • People often just prefer the more vanilla Pokémon. Fakémon are often poorly designed, and even if they're done well, you still have to work out base stats, typing, moves, etc. Doing that for 100+ Fakémon can be a chore.

Vagrant Pixels

Pixel Artist
    Years
  • Suggestion... Considered.

Honestly, due to everything above mentioned and especially the design hurdles and extra effort, I will personally not have more than say, a solid dozen or so.

Back