• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why bother hatching eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2009
    I've been helping my son with Pokemon Diamond. We've hatched several eggs, they are mostly Buizel or Bidoof, nothing exciting which we can't just catch in the wild. So I'm failing to see the point of going to the bother of hatching, or am I missing something? Lovin' this game though.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    There are a couple of points you're missing, actually. There are quite a number of Pokémon you must breed in order to obtain them. An example would be Igglybuff. You can't find him in the wild, so you've gotta breed him by throwing his evolutions together.

Breeding is also very important for IVs, but I hardly understand any of that so someone else can explain them.

Also, you use breeding to teach a Pokémon moves it couldn't learn otherwise.

This thread here explains a lot about breeding if you have a question to do with IVs or moves getting passed down. If you wanna ask about them, I advise posting there.

Breeding can also be used for killing time, which in itself is awesome.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    Before I go on, its worth noting that the Pokemon in the Egg will always be from the line the mother is on. So if you have a female Buizel in the Day Care for breeding, you will get a Buizel from the Egg. The only exception to this being when breeding with Ditto; the Pokemon hatched will always be that of the father or mother, depending on which one is not a Ditto.

The effects of breeding are really only visible most likely in Egg Moves. There are some moves that certain Pokemon can only learn via breeding with other Pokemon, such as Sneasel with Pursuit and Eevee with Wish. Since the Pokemon the Egg will hatch into is determined by the felame Pokemon, the male Pokemon is the one that must have the Egg Moves you wish the hatched Pokemon to learn. There is actually also a trick you can use with the Everstone that allows you to 'manipulate' what nature the hatched Pokemon will have.

In essence, breeding is probably something you don't really have to worry about, unless you're planning on playing the game competitively or just wish to have a particular move on a particular Pokemon.

Forgot about Baby Pokemon, lol... ^^;;

Hope that was of some help... ^^;;

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Yeah.. very very complex, it's got fun for every audience :D (I should know, being kinda too old for it haha)

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    egg moves.. and eggs are a good way to pass time and progress your dex however i like to do it for the pokemon to have my OT (like when getting a pokemon like feraligatr that you dont have one.. i breed it, get the totodile and do whatever i want with it)

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Also, some pre-evolutions require certain items to hatch.

Pokemon like Munchlax, Bonsly, Mime jr, budew, etc. can only be obtained (besides finding them in the wild) by making the parent(fully evolved in most cases) hold the item while breeding.

Like with Snorlax, I made it hold a full incense, sent it to the daycare center, and in a matter of minutes I had myself a Munchlax egg.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back