• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why did they ever have to change it?

Jirachi

is made of gold
    Years
    I played a Ruby version that was Japanese. I looked at the Pokedex and it gave height and weight in metres and kilograms! Why did the English language versions have to spend their time just to change that to the American system?
    What about all the English speaking countries around the world that use the metric system, such as Great Britain, India, South Africa and all others?
    Selfish, they think only Americans play Pokemon. Being Scotch, I grew up without even knowing this measurement. How do I picture a 40 foot 800 lb Wailord? Please comment.

Rayquaza

Champions Of The Sky
    Years
    Jirachi said:
    I played a Ruby version that was Japanese. I looked at the Pokedex and it gave height and weight in metres and kilograms! Why did the English language versions have to spend their time just to change that to the American system?
    What about all the English speaking countries around the world that use the metric system, such as Great Britain, India, South Africa and all others?
    Selfish, they think only Americans play Pokemon. Being Scotch, I grew up without even knowing this measurement. How do I picture a 40 foot 800 lb Wailord? Please comment.
    hehe yes thats terriable, I live in Holland and we get the normal american version while people in German for example get the german language version, so with meters and kilograms. I really hate this I hope they will make next time more versions..:D

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    As you said, Nintendo seems to feel that little kids don?t like meters and stuff in America. Same with why the Pok?mon movies on DVD aren?t widescreen?kids don?t like the black lines on the top and bottom. They cater to what they believe is in their best interest for kids in America.

Jirachi

is made of gold
    Years
    Kairi said:
    As you said, Nintendo seems to feel that little kids don?t like meters and stuff in America. Same with why the Pok?mon movies on DVD aren?t widescreen?kids don?t like the black lines on the top and bottom. They cater to what they believe is in their best interest for kids in America.
    THEY DON'T LIKE METRES?! Arrgh, same thing with National Geographic Kids.
    Pokemon games are world wide. "Hello, HELLO! Nintendo of America, ARE YOU LOOKING AT THE REST OF THE WORLD?" Besides, Metric users outnumber the American system users FAR. Just look at India. They think Indians don't play Pokemon. But they are wrong! More than half of my Indian friends play Pokemon! BTWL, I forgot to mention Australia and Canada.

Last edited:
    Years
    I also find it hard to picture things in pounds and feet. I much prefer using metres and kilograms. It just makes more sense to me like with temperature as well, below 0 degrees things freeze and 100 degrees celcius/centigrade is boiling point.

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    Jirachi said:
    Some of the measurements in English are not even close to the Japasnese measurements. =.=

They claimed that m and lbs are more "commonly" used in USA.
    Here are some errors I've found:
    1. Gardevoir, Jap---48kg, 1.6m USA---86lbs???? Excuse me! 1kg equals to 2.2lbs! Don't they know how to do sums?

2. Jynx, Jap---40.6kg, 1.4m USA---90lbs??? 4"7'?????
    Excuse me! Again, 1kg=2.2lbs. 40.6............................................................
    ........................................x 2.2..........................................................
    .......................................--------.......................................................
    ..........................................81 2..........................................................
    ........................................81 2............................................................
    .......................................---------......................................................
    ......................................89.32!!!!!!!!

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    jynx said:
    Some of the measurements in English are not even close to the Japasnese measurements. =.=

They claimed that m and lbs are more "commonly" used in USA.
    Here are some errors I've found:
    1. Gardevoir, Jap---48kg, 1.6m USA---86lbs???? Excuse me! 1kg equals to 2.2lbs! Don't they know how to do sums?

2. Jynx, Jap---40.6kg, 1.4m USA---90lbs??? 4"7'?????
    Excuse me! Again, 1kg=2.2lbs. 40.6............................................................
    ........................................x 2.2..........................................................
    .......................................--------.......................................................
    ..........................................81 2..........................................................
    ........................................81 2............................................................
    .......................................---------......................................................
    ......................................89.32!!!!!!!!
    maybe NoA thinks kids don't like decimals either...that's why they rounded 89.32 lb. to 90 lb...

I've never played a non-american pok?mon game, but I do think it is wierd that the other countries' version of the game didn't use metric units...but correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't each country pok?mon is released in have their own game translating and editing comapany...if so, shouldn't they be responsible instead of NoA?

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    It is still 89Lbs after rounding off
    And Gardevoir's is even more stupid. The wight in LBS is even smaller than kg @@

That's why I "adore" Americans so much=.=

Spike Razzor

"Don't argue, you failed..."
    Years
    Im still here wondering "What does it matter?" The only thing like this that suprized me was when I discovered Tarkoal (or however you spell it) was so tiny... Then theres people here who can't make a GBA game to begin with, so why are they complaining?

Last edited:
    Years
    You see, every country has its own metric system. If you compare America and France for example, If you travel on interstate highways here in America, everything will be in Miles (ie San Fransisco - 298mi) while in France, everything will be in Kilometers (ie Nice - 15km) ... ^^

DragonTrainer

Shiver me timbers!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    Yes, in America, everything is miles and stuff, we don't use the metric system

Years
    Kairi said:
    Yeah... the Jap ones I watched were in Widescreen.

perthskies

Nostalgic
    Years
    Kairi said:

Ah, Pokemon 4 ever though is in Wide-screen aspect ratio on DVD... well, at least in Australia... ^_^;

Converting imperial to metric is time consuming... but here's a nice quick guide I did for you people:

Length

1 in = 25.4 mm
    1 in = 2.54 cm
    1 ft = 30.5 cm

Mass (commonly called "weight")

1 lb = 454 g

Speed:
    1 mph = 1.61 km/h​

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2008
    It doesn't really bother me...i dont really look at their height and weight :laugh:
    I dont even know why the americans bothered changing it anyway...i wouldn't :laugh:

KingpiN

Pok?mon: Magmar
    Years
    Optic said:

Mass (commonly called "weight")

nice touch;)

Im from south america, and we use grams and meters too....but, i really dont care, i preffer that instead of taking care of the measurement issues they concentrate in the English-Spanish connection...i mean, here, if u try to trade a pkmn from an english version to a spanish version, ure save data may get corrupted....and thats not very funny:(

Salu2

Back