• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Why do people hate B/W so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilace372

cast between dusk and dawn
Years
i like what they have done with black and white, but i think that others have a higher bar of expectations when it came to black and white games when it came to how the pokemon looked and with the names which have been given to the pokemon, but also i think it could be that there seems to be a more growing amount of legendaries and also that they are getting to powerful which was similar to diamond, pearl and platinum. overall i think that people want more pokemon than legandaries and that they want something new to the games instead of a similar pattern which happens to occur through each game. i think the games are good either way but hey that's my opinion.

Years
<sniiiiiiip>

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about those points. I'm just answering the OP's question "why do people hate BW so much". And as I pointed out, a big part of the reason was that the last three games were all tour-de-forces in post-game activity and other extras. We've been spoilt for the four years before BW.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Mainly because the games were a step backwards from HG/SS, gameplay-wise. HG/SS had an expansive postgame and a good roster of Pokemon that mixed true classics with newer evolutions, and B/W barely had a postgame, and it had only about 150 Pokemon(not including legendaries). Plus, the hype about the story causes people to hate the game. Really, when you get right down to it, the story isn't that impressive. Sure, by Pokemon standards it's not bad, but compared to other RPGs such as any of the Tales games or some of the non-cliche Final Fantasies it gets massacred. Yes girls, I know you think N is "HAWT!!!111" but that doesn't make a good character. Insipid "Ferris Wheel Shipping" does not make a character. Back to topic, the obligatory nostalgic fans don't like the new Pokemon much, and the region is really bad, especially compared to places like the Japan-inspired Johto and the tropical Hoenn.

That's right. The over-hyped story might on of the factor why many people hates BW. I can see some people disappointed because the story is not got as it spreaded reputation on the internet.

Years
I didn't notice Nintendo hyping the story of it at all. In fact I think they were drawing attention away from it, and why wouldn't they? I'm not sure how well it would go down if I marketed a game in which the enemies are like the evil RSPCA or PETA and where the goodies are fighting for the right to make their animal buddies fight. It's not the kind of thing you can say in one sentence without it sounding bad.

And hype from other players, it's not hard to see why it was there. It was a better story than other games had where it only boiled down to nothing but baddies seeking world domination. I guess there was that time in RBY with the Marowak that Team Rocket killed. That was a little bit of a shock moment, as was Lavender Town in general. And then there were the
Spoiler:
in DPPt. The main story was always a plot clearly contrived to paint some obvious antagonists and to give you something to do between gym battles. BW surpassed itself by having a character focus on the main antagonist, creating sympathy for that antagonist, and even directly questioning the morality of the Pokemon game itself. You know I can't think of another time when a game morally challenges its own core gameplay. I guess there was that time in Uncharted 2 where
Spoiler:
but it was more like a cheap shot than something you're supposed to think about.

I've noticed this is more like a blog article now. I wish I had a blog so I could put this kind of stuff into it and smugly link you to myself by way of reply. I got one in a competition... but I don't think it's been set up yet and I don't know how to ask without sounding impatient.

Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2012
I played through white, and now I'm playing HG, and I cant wrap my head around how much of a step backward white is in terms of game mechanics, it really seems rushed and poorly produced. As for the pokemon designs themselves, every generation has a few that can be picked apart, I mean a walking three headed palmtree? WTF?

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
People are not used to change? I like playing Black & White, but I'm not "in love" with it. They're good games overall, but from what I've noticed, people dislike them mainly because of the pokemon designs. It happens in every generation xD give them time, people will warm up to the Black & White games.

Years
I agree with Touko, it because of those who love that Nostalgia moment so much they won't play it, also the Unova Pokemon designs look ugly to them.

Kylectro

Eevee Breeder
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 20, 2011
People hate it because its not Red/Blue.

That's all i think. I reckon if people play it without being such snobs they'll enjoy it!

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I think most people also hate the games because of features that have been given and taken and how many things went downhill from HGSS - Black and White. So I guess those could be the main reasons for the many dislikes as well.

Years
One of the reasons is the lack of "creative" pokemon, and it may seem like Nintendo is running out of ideas. Another reason could be because of this being the 5th generation, and again Nintendo is running out of creative ideas.

Years
had to take two 'tylenol fours' because of a migraine i got from casual observance of my darmanitan's back sprite.

JFire

Quilava Lover
Years
I'd assume that most would agree with me in saying that the game looks and plays great. It also still feels like Pokemon, even with all of the changes.

That said, I've not seen a single Pokemon that I really really like. I believe one of the new lines look like fetuses (come on?). Any Pokemon from this game that I could even kind of like, just don't fit in with the older Pokemon. The new starters looks incredibly stupid. Not to mention their typings are incredibly redundant. (Pure water, pure grass, fire/fight, third generation anyone?)

I have yet to pick up this game, and I doubt I will pick up any more Pokemon games in the future. (3rd generation remake would be a maybe).

I'm sad to see this wonderful franchise get trashed by a ton of digimon knockoffs. I don't think I'm looking through nostalgia glasses here, I found some of the 4th gen Pokemon appealing. I just feel like the 5th gen can't do it for me.

In short: While the gameplay might have had many improvements, the new Pokemon designs piss me off. I literally cannot stand to look at most of the new Pokemon, and that makes me die a little inside.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
I thought I read the title wrong.

Seriously. I have never seen anybody say ANYTHING negative about the games other than minor things like no more walking with your pokemon, etc. I thought that these games came as close to universally loved as possible. (Then again, everybody knows the Pokemon fandom is composed of whiny brats.)

Of course, in the case there are haters which for some reason I have never seen huh huh it's obviously going to be because of the stupid people still clinging to Gen 1. That generation was HORRIBLE It's perfectly fine to like the first few games, but they are evolving and whining about it isn't going to change it. If you don't like the designs, then try designing 649 pokemon yourself.

Besides, Garbodor is so misunderstood :(

I'm sad to see this wonderful franchise get trashed by a ton of digimon knockoffs. I don't think I'm looking through nostalgia glasses here, I found some of the 4th gen Pokemon appealing. I just feel like the 5th gen can't do it for me.

Spoiler:

One of the reasons is the lack of "creative" pokemon, and it may seem like Nintendo is running out of ideas. Another reason could be because of this being the 5th generation, and again Nintendo is running out of creative ideas.

Spoiler:

Sorry bigbongkunkboy and JFire if it's kind of disrespectful and rude, but I could not find your arguments more irrelevant, sorry.

I'll put it simply, and essentially sum up what all the folks before me said.

THEY DON'T LIKE CHANGE.
change-ahead-sign.png

Oh dear God, it's more Pokemon! Everyone run! Change to our video games and nostalgia! What are those idiots at Gamefreak doing?!

Did I sum it up for you guys yet?

I want to marry you.

Last edited:

SolWolf

This user is over 9000!
Years
I'll put it simply, and essentially sum up what all the folks before me said.

THEY DON'T LIKE CHANGE.
change-ahead-sign.png

Oh dear God, it's more Pokemon! Everyone run! Change to our video games and nostalgia! What are those idiots at Gamefreak doing?!

Did I sum it up for you guys yet?

Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2012
I say the biggest problem is the interface and overworld, it's a step backwards from Gen 4.

Saerith

Fear My Glitter!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 5, 2012
I didnt really like it at first because the only cute pokemon I had turned into some steroid abusing unicorn thing O.O then I ran into a palpitoad, it creeped me out >.> Then after about a month of neglect i picked it up ran into munna,emolga, and minccino within two hours and havent put it down since.

I know I was spoiled with cute pokemon before and not having them really put me off, well palpitoad gave me nightmares... lol

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years

They haven't run out yet. I have yet to see a Pokemon based purely off of a Volcano (I know that Camerupt is sort of based off of one, but it is Primarily a Camel) for instance. I could think of some more, but I need to think more first, which I don't feel like doing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back