• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why do people hate the hoenn pokes so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I dont understand why people dont like R/S/E.
    I mean, just because some of the pokemon and the way you get them? seriously.
    R/S/E featured some of the best additions! I loved HM dive, and the secret base was an awesome idea.
    Possibly the reason many hated them was because, unlike G/S/C, even though it had a few, it had no way near as many real-time related activites, and it was sort of a step backwards, not forwards.
    I disagree, though and hoenn is one of my fave regions! :D

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    I personally don't like the Hoenn Pokemon (not hate) in the same way I love the Kanto and Johto Pokemon, because some of the Hoenn Pokemon are bland rip-offs of certain previous Pokemon (Beautifly for example) and they're not as likeable overall like their predecessors.

That being said, I still love some of them, but their hit rate in terms of likeability and design compared to Kanto and Johto was pretty slim.

To be honest, I had a problem with the games really. R/S/E pretty much abandoned all the Pokemon I had grown to love over R/B/Y and G/S/C and tried to create its own identity ignoring the original games and I think it suffered down to that (I opened up to it more when FR/LG was released) and the plot itself wasn't as enjoyable as R/B/Y or G/S/C, at least for me. It really was a step backwards, dropping Team Rocket, the great time feature of G/S/C and that it wasn't a true sequel (or prequel). I've warmed up to it since, but at the time it didn't feel right.

And it also introduced Natures, which made trying to get your teams rated near impossible since certain people (this was on Serebii really) were like "UR DOIN IT WONG!" Controversial point I made there I know. :D

chickenofunity

Confused Chicken
    Years
  • My favourite and least favourite pokemon are all in Hoenn. Actually I lie, there are a few worse ones in Sinnoh. I just really like the Hoenn region, I actually liked the secret bases, and for me the only fault was how difficult it was to get a really good team, like levels wise, at the end. I hated trying to level up my Shelgon into a Salamance, it took forever. Although that is probably caused in part by my lack of patience, but yeah. Overall it was a cool region.
    If they do an R/S remake, I'll buy it. It was cool.

tnguye3

Very, very, very lazy spriter.
    Years
  • I played Blue, Red, Silver, Gold, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire...And personally I think that the R/S/E Pokemon look really Good (especially Groudon...Dang, I just love the design). R/S/E are prolly my faves.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2017
    I've played at least one game from each generation and my hate towards R/S/E stems not from the pokemon designs, the region design, or any of the improvements. What incurs my hate are simple things.

First of all, it had a lot of hype due to the second gen which had earned all the hype with plenty of twists and turns the first time you play it. I rushed blindly into Ruby, expecting a big fake-out like the part where 2nd gen went "you beat the elite four, now you get to explore a second region!" and I was left with a tower that I never visited. At all. I was expecting a huge finale that would bring more to the post game other than "you just saved the region and you're now the Champion. Good job." In all, I was left unfulfilled.

The second thing is that they (understandable from a technological standpoint) cut out any hope of ever using the pokemon you had spent years training through two generations of games. I was a bit put-out about that.

But the biggest thing that made me hate it was the sorry excuse for a rival. I got into Pokemon to mop the floor with rivals such as Blue/Green and Silver. They made me want to work harder to beat them and I felt satisfaction when I made them scream in agony after a battle. Then I find the R/S/E rival, whose name I've forgotten cause that's how much I found him to be lackluster. Instead of making me feel just primal satisfaction towards torturing his pokemon, the game made me feel guilty for even using my best pokemon against him. I've never felt guilty for beating the rival before. That and it was creepy how the rival was stalking you... *shivers out of fear*

Go ahead and call me nostalgic, but I don't care because I also accept each gen for the good, the bad, the ugly, and all the upgrades that they bring to the next generation. I just hope that the next generation does not have these things which annoys me since two of these three are why I've barely touched my Platinum game since I bought HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Hmmm....I do dislike May's pathetic weakness. And how you only battle her 5 times....and she still doesn't get a Blaziken/Sceptile/Swampert. That's pathetic. I think the next Gen. got it right. You have Dawn, who's pathetic.....but then you also get your crazy rival who does a cool and over-exuberant dance, and whose pokemon actually end up stronger than G/S/C Red's pokemon!

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    The Hoenn Pokemon are great. The most uncreative Pokemon are numbers 387 to 493 in the Pokedex. Sinnoh was just spammed with too many legendaries, and strange looking evos and pre-evos of past Pokemon. And Starly and Bidoof, seriously? After Hoot-Hoot/Sentret and Taillow/Zigzagoon, how many incarnations of Pidgey and Rattata do we need?

The only complaint I have about 3rd Gen is Brendan's weak Pokemon and lack of a fully evolved starter. I'd like to see that changed if these games are to be remade.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Some people don't like it because there are a lot of Kanto & Johto Pokemon missing from that game and that there are new Pokemon that they don't like.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    By far, I think I've played Hoenn games the most out of all. I've manged to get 3 level 100 starters from it within the last 8 or so months, and by having both Ruby and Sapphire, I've reset many times. Why? I don't know. They're the least addictive of all the games. (Then again, I've had Pearl since 2008 and haven't felt the need to reset it, same goes for LeafGreen, which means both are more boring.) Johto and Kanto games however, have been reset, just not to the extent of R/S. I really have had no reason to play them over and over.

Overall, I hate the games. They just seem depressing and too natural for me. Reasons why? The route before Fortree was SO DAMN LONG, rained most of the time...yeah. I don't know, something about the appearance of the games just made me feel down when playing them.

The music seemed too different from Johto/Kanto's - which interested me as a child. That was the music I grew up with, although not exactly when I was a young kid, but it was an important part of my childhood. It captured the childhood innocence I had which I've now long lost. Many of the things I can remember as a child... well, Gold was apart of it. I mean, I've even had pictures taken of me playing Gold. The most stand out moment was when I finally reached the top of the Tin Tower in Gold, facing Ho-Oh, (sadly that excitement has been lost in HG, but this isn't supposed to be about why HG cannot compare to Gold for me.) However, on that point, I don't have any memories of playing R/S. At that time I'd assume I was in my late childhood to early teen years. People didn't care about Pokemon anymore. I didn't. The spark I had from Gold/Crystal, and even R/B/Y just was gone.

On a positive note for R/S, most of the Pokemon I consider to be apart of gen 1/2, due to Sinnoh's terrible Pokemon. I mean, even Torchic, one of the Hoenn starters is my favourite Pokemon overall. Sadly it didn't come from Johto - but either way, due to some of my favourites (Azurill being the second favourite from Hoenn), I don't hate Hoenn as much as I'd hate Sinnoh. Also, positive of Hoenn - Bellossom was included...but it still didn't have the spark Johto had with its Pokemon.

I would compare Hoenn to Sinnoh but I just dislike it too much to make many valid points.

Overall though, Hoenn was nice...just didn't exactly appeal to me. Though some of the Pokemon were amazing. <3

c3rad

Grass-Type user
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2012
    In my experience, R/S got overshadowed by FR/LG

I picked up R/S at the end of 4th grade, a time when my classmates often made fun of my friends and me for playing pokemon, so I just sort of lost interest. Not to mention that FR/LG came out just a little while after.

Being that Red version remains to this day my favorite, the remakes of the old classics seemed to gather most of my attention.

Don't get me wrong, I love some of R/S's pokemon. Sceptile, Manetric, Breloom, Aggron, Flygon, Exploud etc.

TwinkleClefable

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star~
    Years
  • I love Hoenn pokemon, it brings a new taste to the pokemon world and new characters. I mean we like..get...10 or more new legendaries,and awesome pokemon: Mawile is just pure win, so is Gardevoir.

I don't really know why some people hate Hoenn. But i guess everybody just hates a certain Pokemon generation. The only reason for people to hate Hoenn is the Anime, no more misty, ash voice change etc. But that isn't the Pokemon.

I have no concern about the Pokemon whatsoever, and i just think the Pokemon are amazing, like all Pokemon are.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2010
    i actually like most of the hoenn pokes, mostly the starters :) like TwinkleClefable said, (in my words) people can hate or like certain poke gens or regions... its just personal pref i guess but i like them all :DDDDDDDDDD

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
  • More people don't like sinnoh region, (don't troll me >.<) but Hoenn is really good i enjoyed that alot of time was spent surfing :3

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • Here is why hoenn sucks a ton
    1. may was your rival, you know the character with the most fanservice in the anime. she was more concerned with her outfit than making a team.
    2. Contests nuff' said
    3. the morbidly obese legendary pokemon Groudon You fatty.
    4. Team aqua and magma were quite possibly the worst evil teams in the franchise. Hell the thinly vieled global warming message just kinda pissed me off. Al gore could have been their leader
    5. Your main character was either a a) old midget b) an albino. (may sucked no one i know chose her)
    6.gaylow (taillow) was in that generation.
    7. You weren't even given the masterball, you found it on the ground. imagine the coversation
    Grunt 1: Dude did you hear? a ten year old is beating our team.
    Grunt 2: Hey you still got the masterball?
    Grunt 1: Hehe you said ball, nah i left it in this easily accessible place
    Grunt2: so its safe?
    Grunt 1: yeah guess what else is easily accessible? YOUR MOM
    Grunt 1&2: hehehehehehe
    ^^^^^^ happened liek that
    8. Dive was a horrible concept.
    9. You had to READ brail, someone needs to tell Gamefreak how brail works; CAUSE THEY DOIN' IT WRONG
    10. I haet teh mudkipz

there i gave you 10 reasons to hate hoenn

Last edited:

Lickitricky

Avast, ye scurvy dogs!
    Years
  • Hoenn Pokemon are actually mostly my favorite ones, and I've been playing Pokemon since RBY. I love how they had a more 'modern' look to them in a sort of way (try to see what I mean by looking at Manetric or Tropius or something). I also love the 'ancient design' theme on Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza. It's true that Hoenn Pokemon can tend to be weak or pointless, but I love their design and theme.

Personally, I agree that some of the Sinnoh Pokemon are a little ridiculous: I don't really blame GameFreak though: after a certain amount of time, people start running out on ideas. But I mostly like the Sinnoh and Black and White ones, to be honest: the only thing I really hate is the Sinnoh/B&W's legendaries looking like new modern Yu Gi Oh stuff, instead of simple designs like before.

Anyway, RSE was probably my favorite region: I adore Milotic and Tropius, I adore making secret bases (the Sinnoh ones kind of suck), and I really miss using Dive. I'm really looking forward to a Hoenn remake :)

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • Im not going to regurgitate easons people have aleady said, although i agree with most.
    A few of mine..
    -Dive, Sure AND waterfall.. hinting at a water team there gamefreak?
    -Mauville city bored the HECK out of me.
    -Steven is the easiest champion in the franchise.

Hoenn suprisingly is my favourite region, it was the first game i properly played. I remember the hype and the TV adverts in the UK i was unbelieveably excited going to the shop to buy it.
    -Most of my favourite pokemon (Lunatone, Zangoose, Flygon,Sharpedo) are from hoenn(darn you version exclusives.)

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • ProfessorBirch.png

Yeah Hello proffessor clueless pedophile beard hows it going?
    he got pwned by a poocheyena

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2010
    I don't see why people say Pokemon designs are getting worse. Each and every generation has their flaws when it comes to design: Generation one actually had some of the worst, in my opinion.

- Drowzee: Looks plain strange.
    - Magneton: Three of it's evolved form stuck together. Real creative.
    - Dodrio: ... Same words from Mangeton.
    - Weezing: Two Koffing stuck together.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back