• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why do people hate the hoenn pokes so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kendosis

Gym Leader
Years
  • Hoenn was the best season imo and not to mention the only season that Ash did not become a uber noob at the beginning.

Altaïr

... Has one gear: Go
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    I am personally not sure why people dislike hoenn, I mean I started playing pokemon when it was already into Gen. 4, and I always thought the Hoenn games were awesome, but when B&W came out, I actually thought it was a fan-made game for a while because it didn't reach my expectations. In other words, I think maybe many die-hard pokemon fans dislike Hoenn is because they started playing from red and blue or GSC and grew up liking them, but when hoenn came out, they thought it was just a cheap ripoff.

Years
  • I have an answer to why I hate the hoenn pokemon so much

I can answer this with one word

Spoink

Gen I and Gen II were so great its like the creativity pool was lacking for monster design for the 3rd gen, and it must be true when you combine a pig and a spring

Altaïr

... Has one gear: Go
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    I have an answer to why I hate the hoenn pokemon so much

Spoink

Gen I and Gen II were so great its like the creativity pool was lacking for monster design for the 3rd gen, and it must be true when you combine a pig and a spring

Seriously??? I think a pig with a spring for the lower half of its body and a shiny gem on its head is more creative than a random dog with a beret and paint on its tail (smeargle) or a strangely humanlike thing with boxing gloves and a skirt (hitmonchan.)

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2011
    I have an answer to why I hate the hoenn pokemon so much

Spoink

Squirtle is just a turtle. 1st Gen Creativity ftw.

I personally loved Hoenn.
    Or maybe it's just because of Running Shoes, which means I didn't have to trudge my way slowly through towns until I got a bike.

Years
  • Hoenn was the first region I played the games for. Even though Plusle, Minun, Electrike and Manectric were the only new Electric-types back then. Everyone's saying that the Hoenn Pokes are stupid, well I think some of them look cute!!! My fave was Roselia.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • In terms of pokemon; 3rd gen was my absolute favorite (though 5th gan may be starting to overpower that...)
    In terms of pokemon sprites; not all were very good, but I don't mind.
    In terms of...all the other sprites and overworld; I don't really like how it looks, but it was still much, much better than previous games.
    In terms of storyline; Sure perhaps not the greatest, but it was the greatest so far.
    In terms of the changes; I don't see why anybody would hate the changes. Sure, some people don't like change (my sister included) so they don't like all of the newer pokemon, but guess what? The world is full of change. I think these were changes for the better.
    In terms of the region itself; Pretty good, perhaps all of the water routes were too much, but I loved Dive and that just made more oppurtunities for it :3
    In terms of the evil team; ... ...okay, hate them all you want, I don't really care.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    I like the 3rd generation games, it actually had an interesting plot line, not to say the plot line was epic. And for the pokemon designs, eh. 50-50.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    i like them, the region provided pokemon like salamence and metagross

Kamitsure-chan

Massive Cynthia fangirl. :3
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 15, 2011
    I'm not too sure why people didn't like them. I like them, personally. My top two favorite Pokemon are Hoenn Pokemon (Gardevoir and Mawile). I actually really liked Hoenn itself as well, minus all the water routes.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • Perhaps because they are so much different than the others. They aren't my favorite group but I don't hate 'em.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2011
    Lest be honest,after the brillance of johto,hoenn was AWFUL.

The pokemon looked crap the music was annoying as hell and the whole lacked a good feel about it.

PLus it leftout stuff from johto.For instance you cant travel to two different regions(BIG MISS),no day and night,no radio,the legendarys were crap.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • This irritates me because Hoenn is a region just like Kanto & Johto and offers the same aspects, yet just because it wasn't original like R/B/Y/G/S/C means it was bad? then that must mean the same for Sinnoh & Unova, right? My favourite region is Hoenn, always has always will, lets not forget it introduced some pretty amazing Pokémon such as Metagross, Salamence, Sceptile, Blaizken, Swampert, Slaking, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, the list goes on but I do think Hoenn doesn't get as much credit as it should, I know people have their likes and dislikes but still. ~ Hoping for a remake, then people would probally appreciate it more.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • Lest be honest,after the brillance of johto,hoenn was AWFUL.

The pokemon looked crap the music was annoying as hell and the whole lacked a good feel about it.

PLus it leftout stuff from johto.For instance you cant travel to two different regions(BIG MISS),no day and night,no radio,the legendarys were crap.

(This post has been seperated into two pieces. One which is kind of harsh towards Jhoto (But is my true opinion) and another sugar-coated version.)

Sugar-Coated Version
    Can you please stop pretending that's a fact? I differ in opinion in many things: I think Heonn's music is superior, the pokemon in Heonn were much more creative and awesome in comparison to Jhoto's, I prefer a single region rather then two because it lets me focus on a single objective, the radio was very annoying, and although Heonn lacked day and night (I admit, that was pure failure), the legendaries were cooler and high-quality compared to Jhoto's low-quality legendaries.
    IN MY OPINION.

Harsh-ish Version
    Please don't take this as trolling 'cause it's not. I'm not trying to offend anybody, and I'm just stating my opinion in response to your's.

But.....

<rant>UGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Why does everybody always say that? I thought Jhoto was AWFUL. That's right. I said Jhoto was AWFUL.
    Normally, I wouldn't be shouting like a deranged lunatic, but it irrates me that everybody always thinks Jhoto is always so great and blah blah blah, yet they're always bashing Heonn without any respect for the people who liked the region. The Jhoto pokemon were CRAP, the Jhoto music was nice (see, I'm being honest) but still not on par with Heonn's, I prefer when I can focus on only one region rather than two, I admit, the loss of day and night was pure failure, but radio was extremely annoying, and Jhoto's legendaries were the most PUKE-HORRIBLE I've seen.

And most importantly, Heonn was an INDEPENDENT region, and it didn't have to leech off another region's success, something a lot of people aren't realizing.
    </rant>

This irritates me because Hoenn is a region just like Kanto & Johto and offers the same aspects, yet just because it wasn't original like R/B/Y/G/S/C means it was bad? then that must mean the same for Sinnoh & Unova, right? My favourite region is Hoenn, always has always will, lets not forget it introduced some pretty amazing Pokémon such as Metagross, Salamence, Sceptile, Blaizken, Swampert, Slaking, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, the list goes on but I do think Hoenn doesn't get as much credit as it should, I know people have their likes and dislikes but still. ~ Hoping for a remake, then people would probally appreciate it more.
    At least somebody is unbiased here--I don't wanna be mean, but I think people aren't giving the third Gen a chance because they're too trapped by their childhood memories.

Last edited:

Shiny Zoroark

Veteran Connor
    Years
  • i know, i dont see why people hate them.. i still have my blaziken from ruby which i have had since 2003. i loved the hoenn pokemon i really want a r/s/e remake to be released by nintendo cuz hoenn was amazing

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
    Years
  • Not sure if it's been mentioned in here yet (12 pages, lol), but by 2003, most of the original audience (for R/B/Y/G/S/C) had hit puberty and grown out of Pokemon, leading to a lot of the bashing. (I was one of them) The newer, younger audience wasn't quite used to Pokemon yet either. Just a case of bad transition in my opinion. Now that the franchise is so storied and old, it's not really a big deal anymore. (For B/W, and anything else in the future)

That, and I remember Yu-Gi-Oh being hot at the time.

I like most of the Hoenn Pokes now, and the region. It's the lack of Day/Night and the ugly sprites/tiles that I don't like.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Not sure if it's been mentioned in here yet (12 pages, lol), but by 2003, most of the original audience (for R/B/Y/G/S/C) had hit puberty and grown out of Pokemon, leading to a lot of the bashing. (I was one of them) The newer, younger audience wasn't quite used to Pokemon yet either. Just a case of bad transition in my opinion. Now that the franchise is so storied and old, it's not really a big deal anymore. (For B/W, and anything else in the future)

That, and I remember Yu-Gi-Oh being hot at the time.

I like most of the Hoenn Pokes now, and the region. It's the lack of Day/Night and the ugly sprites/tiles that I don't like.

Yeah, that's a good point because back around that time, I wasn't much of a fan for Hoenn and Pokémon R/S/E, but not they're my favourite games and I'm sure thats the case with alot of people who used to around that time didn't like it but now have tried it and they really like it because it did over a great amount of brilliant Pokémon and they are spectacular games IMO :)

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Not all of the Pokemon were bad, but when I first ran into Plusle and Minun it really hit me... I still hate them to this day. I don't care how "cute" they are. They are nothing more than two Pichus with different colored ears and a plus/minus sign theme.

However, there are some designs I liked, like Tropius.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2011
    I don't know why I hate them..
    It felt for me as if the first gen was all cool exept for a few (like jinx and mr mime :|)
    The second gen pokemon were mostly nice, but some weren't
    The third was mostly lame, just a few were actually worth looking at

And then we have the fourth.... I have never ever seen such degree of failure.
    I hate ALL pokémon and it looks like the creator was drunk, doing drugs and in labor at the same time or something...
    It's just crap and I have no words for it. (I mean, look at the brown bunny with the fluffs everywhere, it looks just awkward...)
    I played HG for a while and I was delighted none of this crap was included, but when I got to Kanto, there they were, so I quit.
    The fifth isn't even worth thinking about.

But I guess you can say I might be just a little bit biased, as I grew up with the 1st and 2nd gen being totally awesome...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back