• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why do so many get this wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    Speelin iz fur teh smrt peepul, wie shood wee haf tu abyd bie et?

Adn mabye ti is a tpyo, teyh seme to hapepn a olt nwo-a-dyas.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • I wish people will just double-check thier spelling as they type. Or if they notice it after it's posted, then EDIT THE POST.

Speelin iz fur teh smrt peepul, wie shood wee haf tu abyd bie et?

Adn mabye ti is a tpyo, teyh seme to hapepn a olt nwo-a-dyas.

Oh please. Typing like that on purpose is NOT cool.

Oh The Places You'll Go.

Whatever will be, will be.
    Years
  • everyone should calm down.

johto, jhoto, joto, however anyone spells it, we can all agree that no matter how you look at it, it's going to be Johto. Clearly the other regions don't have similar spelling, so we should just let it be. The ones who spell it wrong will find out eventually and smack themselves in the face for not knowing an obvious fact. hmm?

Years
  • Misspellings irk me. I know it's not how it works due to the way the Japanese language is written, but it's quite simple; you don't spell 'John' as 'Jhon', so why spell 'Johto' as 'Jhoto'? =| If it's a typo - an honest mistake - then fair enough, but when you're consistently misspelling a word that is seen so often in the Pokémon fandom it simply makes me think that you're either lazy, stupid or both. Funnily enough, on the Internet, where your primary medium of communication is text, people judge you on the basis of your text. I know, I know, it's a shock, but when we've only one thing to judge your character by it's no use trying to claim that accuracy in this medium 'doesn't matter'. It's like saying that how you speak doesn't matter when you go to a job interview; it's not quite the be all and end all, but if you start an interview with "sup dawg" someone is clearly doing it wrong. Assumptions are made, so deal with it, and try not to get so defensive whenever someone does correct your spelling. A misspelling that isn't the result of a typo - i.e. you're either not sure how it's spelt or you 'know' how to spell it but the spelling is wrong - is either a result of arrogance or, for lack of a better word, ignorance. In the case of the latter, a correction should be taken gracefully (as long as the correction itself is courteous - I think it's perfectly fair for you to get annoyed if someone flames you while doing so). In the former, however, your arrogance means that you don't look a word up. I saw an interesting podcast from English comedian David Mitchell on the matter - "without the arrogant assumption that you don't need to look anything up, you'd look everything up". Some words in the Pokémon fandom are a little more... forgettable than others, I'll grant - Feraligatr, Victreebel and Ninetales all seem to trip some people up. But a five letter word like 'Johto'? One that's seen everywhere in nostalgia-filled posts about how Johto was the best thing since the invention of the wheel? Not only does 'Jhoto' look awful (as far as I know the letters 'jh' don't appear in the English language as a single syllable, apart from a handful of foreign imports), but my thoughts dictate that the logical thing to do when you think "hmm, I'm not sure that's correct" is to look it up. With resources like Bulbapedia and countless other sources of Pokémon information you've no excuse not to.

The bottom line is that people judge you on your writing. How you spell and punctuate is generally the first thing someone notices in a post, and they will immediately form an opinion based on this. Whether or not it's true is irrelevant - people will still think what they think about you.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Spelling always matters, if you can't spell then... well i feel sorry for you, plus you never see it happening with any of the other regions, only Johto, which as i said before is classed as the best region by many of the people who can't spell it.
    Grammar's also important. (One could also argue that spelling is a part of grammar, but people tend to see them as separate ideas, so we'll count them as separate ideas.) I find it funny that someone saying that grammar is important is also someone who doesn't seem bothered by the lack of proper capitalization in their post.

Just an observation I made.

Now, maybe this will get me kicked out of fandom because it doesn't make me a "true fan" (a matter that I could rant upon, but that is another day), but I'm not really bothered by the fact that people tend to typo "Johto." Just because someone makes a small mistake like that doesn't mean that said person should be told to "get off the Internet" and that they are "stupid arrogant" people.

Some of these people could just be young children, starting out in their forum life. (If they are young enough, they might have never played the original games, or have even seen the old Johto anime episodes.) They don't know that the correct spelling is "Johto", they don't know about the existence of any other site out there besides this one. They just want to come here and talk about these new Pokemon games that are so exciting and full of sparkling joy. So they post, and spell the region "Jhoto", and people dog-pile on them, insulting them and telling them to leave this forum.

Or maybe someone's in a rush. (I have the habit of checking this forum before I leave for work, and might post before I leave home. It's six hours later before I come home and see that I made a typo.) And they see a topic that they want to reply to about Johto, and their fingers fly too fast and the word comes up as "Jhoto" (or even "teh"!), and they have to leave as soon as they hit "Submit Reply."

Are these always the cases when it comes to people misspelling the region's name? Not always. But it also isn't always people being too "arrogant" to look words up, or people who just don't care about the word. So it's wrong to jump on these people and tell them to look things up or get off the Internet. Tell them that they made a mistake, correct them, show them that if they get confused again, there are sites out there to help them out, and then move on.

It's a typo, everyone. It's not like they kicked your dog.

Years
  • No offense, but is thread only about the misspelling of the word "Johto?" Why is this thread in the HG/SS section? I don't see what it has to do with the games. This argument seems to be basically about spelling and grammar usage. Johto is just one of the words used as an example to try to make it relate to this section.

DisasterWarning807

1) PokéCommunity Newbie
    Years
  • Ever heard of dyslexia?

What if some people are just dyslexic?

No offense, but is thread only about the misspelling of the word "Johto?" Why is this thread in the HG/SS section? I don't see what it has to do with the games. This argument seems to be basically about spelling and grammar usage. Johto is just one of the words used as an example to try to make it relate to this section.

I totally agree with you this is just a baby-ish tiff.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have been looking around and have seen that there are a lot of people who don't seem to know the name of this games region, i see many people spell it "Jhoto" instead of "Johto", I'm really just trying to understand how so many people can get the name wrong and yet many of these same people say it is the best/ there favorite region.

Spelling always matters, if you can't spell then... well i feel sorry for you, plus you never see it happening with any of the other regions, only Johto, which as i said before is classed as the best region by many of the people who can't spell it.

Well i still feel sorry for you, if you can't put a few letter in the right order you shouldn't be on a forum, but at least you can spell Johto, which is what where here to discuss not other words, so stay on topic if your going to stay here.

Idiot. Spell correctly yourself before critisising other peoples' grammar and spelling. Also, you're British, so stop using the American way of spelling of words.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • Sometimes I spell Kanto Kantoh. Big thing, I even think it sounds a little better... Besides, I think I read "Kantoh" on a Japanese site or something... Is that the Japanese version?

What I'm saying is that sometimes people wants to try spelling a word different, just to try... It may sound odd, but it happens. As seen above, I do it. Some time ago, I replaced every "g" with an apostrophe ('), just to make it sound more like my accent. But I got sick of it (not really SICK, you get the point), so I stopped.

Who says that the people spelling Jhoto doesn't want to try spelling it Jhoto?

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Well, I think this thread has run it's course now - people typo the word Jhoto Johto, for possible reasons already mentioned. It isn't that great a discussion point, though... and I don't see anything new that will be offered up, really.

Closed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back